“Brampton HoJo”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Brampton
Oshawa, Canada
“Brampton HoJo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed at the HoJo in Brampton this past weekend and it was the worst experience ever. We travel a great deal and have never had such a bad experience. There was no heat in the halls when we checked in and the heat in the rooms was almost non-existent. The couple we were travelling with had to move rooms 3 times before they finally got enought heat to register at 69 F. There was a burst pipe that caused " no water" until about 10:45 pm. In the morning there was another burst pipe and as a result no breakfast. The halls were still cold and the heat was still inadequate. The rooms were dirty and lighting in the bathrooms barely adequate. Mould on the tiles in the shower.Cigarette holes in the drapes. All in all it was a terrible stay. We should have left as soon as we checked in but thought we'd give it some leeway. Guess we thought wrong. The hotel is in dire need of renovations. DO NOT STAY THERE. There are other hotels in Brampton so have a look around.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank juliana011
management2012b, Manager at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
I was glad that our desk staff refunded you but very sorry to read this
post and the trouble you had during your visit. I feel that more care
should have been put forth in relocating you as the hotel has been
under renovations for the past few months. Right now we are about
75% complete and we will be finished by spring 2012. Amongst the renovations
and new additions are new carpeting, new furniture, new plumbing,
flat screen TVs, new heating/ac units, and more. As well we have a new
fenced in private garden area that will be landscaped for spring, new stone work in the
front of the building, and a brand new banquet hall (the Skylight Room) that has
already had raves from Toronto policiticians, professional hockey players, and
actors. I hope that you will give us another chance once the construction is over
and I thank you for taking the time in bringing this to my attention. Please feel free to
call me and discuss this further. 905-451-6000 ext 430

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
oshawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

we stayed here for a night as we were attending a local party within walking distance and did not want to drive home that night. It was an ok budget place to stay for a night. The room was clean well kept, had a flat screen tv that actually worked, I have stayed a pricey hotels where the tv did not work. The bathroom was clean and fairly new looking. the furnishings in the room were well kept and clean. The room smelled fresh, no overpowering odours. The only problem was that we ordered a room with two queen beds and the beds actually looked more like they were double beds not queen sized beds. We did not complain, as the size of the beds were not a real issue so we were not sure if we were mistakenly given a double bedded room.
The hotel itself is dated inside, a bit rough looking as there are several layers of paint on the interior hall doors. Even though it was well painted all the halls and interior of the hotel was clean looking.

The carpeting looks fairly new in the halls but there is an overpowering odour in the halls of cleaning fluid but the smell does not continue into the room. The general areas are ok. The lobby is a bit dark inside. The elevator is small and old but works ok. I would stay here again for a night or two but not so sure I would stay here for an extended stay. If you are ok with a bit of a older hotel, that is clean inside, the rooms are the same as any other hotel. Its a good place to stay if you are on a budget as the rooms were priced well below anywhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank retlawv
management2012b, Manager at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you for your review. We have actually been under
extensive renovations for the past few months and we will
be fully ready this spring. The building is older but several
years ago it was completely gutted inside and rebuilt.
Recent finishing touches have inlcuded new heaters/ac,
a new games room, a beautiful banquet hall (the Skylight Room),
new flat screen TVs, stone work on the front face of the building,
a private garden, new carpeting and more. Maintenance in any hotel
is ongoing and we strive to keep things fresh.
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Thanks Hojo for a great night. I’m on a tight budget and I found
the set up at Howard Johnsen to be very comfortable and clean.

I got what I paid for and the “do it yourself” waffles for
breakfast were delicious .

See you next time !

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Violet C
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Very quiet, peaceful and staff very responsive to any requests I make. Beds are heaven to sleep on and very clean.

Room Tip: Easy access from Airport
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank LadyLady2011
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I was extremely disappointed with Howard Johnson after my recent stay at this location in Brampton. The service was absolutely horrible, our room was only cleaned once in 9 nights (for an extended stay they supposed to clean once every 3 days) the sheets and towels were only changed once in 9 nights, and there was no coffee or tea, or cups left in the room. We had to go down to breakfast area to get cups, and buy our own coffee and tea. The only two options for breakfast you have are cereal and waffles (make yourself, waffle maker provided) As I have high cholesterol I had to stay away from waffles, and cereal was my only option, however, there was no milk to go with the cereal on two mornings. The elevator area on the 6th floor, where we were staying, smelled like urine…I’m not kidding… The TV was not working property, the picture was very bad quality and all fuzzy, we watched movies on the lap top instead. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank TOcupcake
HowardJohnson14820GM, General Manager at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Dear ToCupCake,

Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson for your recent visit to Brampton.

First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a quest of our hotel. Second, I would like to address the concerns that you expressed. Upon further research, we discovered that a chemical spill left a strong scent on 3 of our floors.

Also, I am happy to inform you that we have scheduled an installation of brand new carpet on those floors. At the Howard Johnson Brampton, we take great pride in our high standards of cleanliness.

I have also addressed the breakfast and housekeeping issues with both my Housekeeping Manager and breakfast attendant to ensure they are more vigilant with our inventory. Unfortunately, you experienced a time when we obviously did not meet those standards.

Once again, we are truly sorry for the inconvenience we caused you. If there is anything else we can assist you with in the future, please don't hesitate to call. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Kind Regards,

Management
Mississauga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

I travel a lot and stay in 4 and 5 star hotels
on business.
A few months back my usual spot in Brampton
was booked solid on a busy weekend and I had to book several
rooms at the Howard Johnson at the last minute.
I was actually surprised by the service I got and
the room was large and very clean. The room
size is no different than most 4 star hotels
and the carpet and furnishings were in great condition.
The major difference was that the lobby was smaller than
the elaborate style lobbies in 5 stars that I'm used to but it
was still cozy and comfortable.
Hojo is a family style hotel chain but things went fine
for me there. No issues at all.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
15 Thank TheBeavCrew
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

It is with great pleasure we are taking this time to write this review. I believe that after all the negative comments that we've often forewarded, it is time, having recieved such good sevice and lived in such great conditions in our hotels rooms for that weekend, that we write a possitive note.

First of all, our expectations were on the low side. We believed that the best of the best hotels can only be found in the attraction areas in town. This little gem has the service and customer care as any 4 or 5 star hotel that we have stayed at in North America.

I am a retired Caterer and have been and continue to be in the hospitality/entertainment industry as a Audio Video Tech., for live shows and also work as a MC/DJ for special events. My family, associates and I do have a nose for quality service after working and travelling together for past 19 yrs.

From the front desk to the bathrooms, reception to the skylight banquet room, it is obvious that every area was cared for and the staff were always there to help.

To the management and team..... BRAVO!!! Please continue the good work!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
13 Thank UncleC63
BOBBT, Public Relations Manager at The Marigold Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
Thank you much for your kind words. Major upgrades have been
made on the Queen Street corridor and we feel that finally the
Howard Johnson Inn & Suites is in the right place at the right time.
We are very happy to hear that all went well for your family function
and Hotel visit. All the best.

PR Dept