“They are missing the mark”

Spoonful By Imperial Buffet
Ranked #51 of 770 Restaurants in Brampton
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is a new restaurant
Reviewed July 6, 2017

So Spoonful happens to own a number of AYCE buffet restaurants under their belt. I've been to this location in Brampton two times before and we enjoyed both visits so when my in-laws came in from out-of-town we thought we would treat them here.

It started off with the four of us waiting at the front counter for 5 minutes. No one was there. I mean no one. It's noon time on a weekday so possibly they might have been busy? So I walked into the hallway and someone finally met me halfway to seat us. I'm still thinking at this point that they must be very busy and that their large seating area is full. When we were seated, I took a quick look around. There were only 10 people in the eating area. Just 10!

The Service: Well the last paragraph sort of sums it all up but I wanted to add that the servers don’t clear your plates quick enough. It’s not nice to stack your own plates and wave a server over once you finally made eye contact.

The Food: Presentation of food is nicely laid out. Grilled and cooked food in the back, apps on the right, and an entire dessert area on the left. I give them points for their dessert station. There are single stations that hold different types of candies. They also have a carousel that holds several tubs of ice cream that is really cool but just beware that you have to wait until a staff member is available to serve you.

The apps: Lots of choices from salads, fruit, and shrimps packed on ice. Pretty standard like most AYCE buffets where you have to get your own food.

Grill/Cooked food: I have a big issue with this part. Most of the food I wanted were less than half full almost the whole part of my lunch and it had been untouched so it makes me wonder just how long the food had been sitting there. The grilled food had only about 2 or 3 pieces of each type of food baking underneath the hot lamps. It's almost as if you're biting into beef jerky. The sushi and maki tastes fine BUT when they post a sign that you are limited to taking only a few pieces at a time really annoys me. Besides, could someone tell me how the heck I’m supposed to enjoy sushi if I can’t dip it into the soy sauce??? (shaking my head!)

Unless I’m absolutely desperate, I will not return back to Spoonful.

For more food reviews and blogging, check out my blog listed in my profile.

1  Thank SpicyChopsticks

Reviewed May 26, 2017 via mobile

First time to this Asian styled buffet. Very nice decor and foot set up. Went for lunch with friends and enjoyed ourselves. We were even able to talk. Recommend this restaurant to all.

1  Thank hckystar
Reviewed May 22, 2017 via mobile

Spoonful was a disappointment. I've been 3 times with different groups and each time was not very good. Quality is poor, even for a buffet. Many items can be found in the frozen section of Walmart. Costco if your lucky. The layout of the food is poor, forcing the crowd into a bottleneck, allowing little access to the food. Service was poor, we had to ask 3 times for water and missing cutlery. At this price point Mandarin and Dragon Pearl are better options if you want to have Chinese buffet. They also asked me to like them on facebook or endorse it for a discount which might result in the inflated ratings you will find. I opted out on the discount because I wanted to post and honest review here.

2  Thank Kc09zd
Reviewed May 20, 2017

For the price, one would expect an excellent buffet. Not so in this case. Overpriced and and rather bland. Poorly organized as you have wait when there are open tables.

Reviewed May 17, 2017

The restaurant is always busy and there can be a long wait. The selection of the food is not that great, the roast beef and ham, etc are of poor quality and doled out in small portions. Other filler foods are bland and not exciting. The chicken wings are about the only thing I like, together with the croissants and rolls which are not bad. Nice selection of fresh fruit. At $175 with tip for two adults and three grand children just doe not represent good value. Very noisy and busy, not a nice atmosphere. Reminds me of a school cafeteria.