“Disappointed”

Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Worst Breakfast I ever had at a hotel. What is normally complimentary was $14 and made me sick. Hotel and room seem dated with big old Televisions. It was generally clean but had a run down feeling. Kids were running down the hallways screaming while security watched and you could hear them through the paper thin walls. Staff were friendly, but that was the only redeeming quality.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rick M
karlheinzlipp, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Cambridge Hotel.
Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast we always strive to offer our Guests the best possible product at all times, we certainly will pass on your feedback to our food and beverage team and take steps to further enhance the quality.
Since your departure we have upgraded all of our Guest rooms and outfitted them with high quality 42 inch flatscreen Televisions.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the Cambridge Hotel
Heinz Lipp

Reviewed 12 April 2012

My company provides a $100/nite hotel allowance, which usually means Days Inn, Super 8, or similar properties. I try to find independent hotels with a good value wherever possible, and this place was a find. On site bar and restaurant, big room well laid out for the business traveler (big desk with lots of outlets), super clean, newer furnishings etc- the whole package, all under $100. I'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel after a day of hiking on the Bruce Trail.
The Cambridge Hotal and Conference Centre is a modern, well built, hotel close to Highway 401. The room I had (which is likely typical of all the rooms) was excellent. It was immaculately clean and well appointed (although there was no refridgerator).
I ate in the hotel restaurant both in the evening and for breakfast. Although my evening meal was excellent, the buffet breakfast was mediocre.
For many travellers, the hotel's location would be excellent as it is very close to Hwy.401 and shopping. Personally, I prefer a more "tranquil" location.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I was reading reviews and deals for area hotels and this one kept popping up. Both under high ratings and reasonable pricing.

From check-in to check-out this place was incredible. Not one single complaint. From the very pleasant receptionist at the desk, (believe her name was Merel) to all of the staff at the Bruce restaurant and bar, they were all great. The girls at the bar made sure I never had to wait for anything.

The Bruce restaurant is by far one of the best hotel restaurants I have ever eaten in. Imaginative and well prepared, a real treat, and again, very reasonable. Lots of beer choices.

I can't comment on the breakfast buffet, as I chose to sleep in until checkout. I wouldn't hesitate to try it out though, as I was already pleased with the food and service from the night before.

Although noise doesn't bother me, if it bothers you, just let them know and I'm positive they will do what it takes to make sure you have a positive stay. Ask for an upper floor in the back of the hotel. I put the do not disturb sign out but never saw a maid anyway and I checked out at 11am. Nice quiet undisturbed sleep after a long day of driving.

The only thing that could have made my stay any better, would have been a pillow top mattress which is what I am used to, however, the bed wasn't a factor in my sleeping. I still slept 10 hours straight through.

The place is very clean, spacious, modern, and quiet. For the price, it can't be beat. I have zero complaints. I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I could not begin to praise the staff at the Cambridge hotel enough. I stayed for seven weeks and every single day I walked through the door the staff greeted me as though it were my first time in the door. The entire staff went above and beyond any duties they have been assigned. No doubt about that! This is not a hotel that you want to stay for just one night, as its too enjoyable. its a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: 101 Great room for sun and close to door for smoking. The suites are amazing also. They have a spaci...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Clean rooms, nice looking property. Comfortable beds and room is well maintained. Stayed for 3 nights - now the bad. If you stay on the Highway 24 side the noise from trucks downshifting to get on the 401 is never ending. There are no "do not disturb" signs to put on your door. Expect the maids to start pounding on your door about 8:30. Had 5 different visits to the restaurant. Food is quite good but service was disjointed and slow. Waiters / waitresses would disappear for long periods of time. The whole restaurant is poorly run. I wanted to like this hotel but unfortunately I can't recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from highway 24 and bring your own "do not disturb" sign.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Bannatyne
karlheinzlipp, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Cambridge Hotel on Trip Advisor. We take all comments seriously and appreciate all feedback, both positive and constructive.
We are very sorry that you did not have a positive experience with the service in our restaurant. We want you to know that this is not typical or representative of our service standards, and we will be addressing this issue with our restaurant staff immediately.
With regard to Do Not Disturb signs, all of our rooms should have these hanging on the back of the door inside the room, and we apologize that this item was missing from your room. Again, this will be addressed with our housekeeping team and measures will be put in place to ensure this does not happen again.
Thank you once more for providing us with the opportunity to improve our product and level of service with constructive feedback, and we sincerely hope to welcome you back to The Cambridge Hotel in the future.

Heinz Lipp

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed here for our kids hockey tourney. We now have a favorite hotel in the area! Great breakfast and Sunday brunch. Very accommodating for sports teams!

• Stayed: January 2012