Priceline
797Howard
Pittsford, New York

Great B&B for cycling in Niagara

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Oct 29, 2023
We recently stayed at the Yellow Door Bed and Breakfast while cycling the Greater Niagara Circle Route (which goes from Fort Erie to Niagara-on-the-Lake along the Niagara River, and then back along the Welland Canal). The B&B is very comfortable, clean, and a relaxing place to stay, with a nice breakfast. For cyclists, it’s near the Friendship Trail, and close to restaurants. There is also a secure place for bikes.
We also enjoyed talking with our host.
Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded Oct 30, 2023
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

As you wrote, the Yellow Door Bed and Breakfast is indeed ideal for cyclists doing the Greater Niagara Circle Route, or even just meandering along the many cycle paths throughout the Niagara Region. Many of them will bring you past some of our great wineries, if that is of interest.

I do try my best to accommodate the needs of my cycling guests, from comfortable beds, a nutritious hot breakfast, and of course secure storage for the bicycles. And information about close-by attractions and restaurants is always available to any who might inquire.
I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Should your future travel plans bring you back this way, the Yellow Door will be open for a return visit.
  • Lol.travel
14.7 km from Yellow Door Bed And Breakfast
    C$159
16.1 km from Yellow Door Bed And Breakfast
View more hotels in Crystal Beach
All reviews county cavan delicious breakfast b and b bike trip the owner cake welland canal mini fridge thoroughly enjoyed our stay surrounding area a wonderful stay niagara on the lake an excellent host thought of everything lovely place exceeded our expectations spacious room
Selected filters
Reviewed October 22, 2023

Deirdre may be the most interesting b and b owner we've ever met! :-) Not to mention one of the most hospitable and gracious. Staying at Yellow Door Bed and Breakfast is a wonderful experience. Thank you so much, Deirdre, for welcoming us into your clean, comfortable, cozy and beautifully decorated home and for treating us to a lovely breakfast that accommodated our vegan diet. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and chatting with you and trading stories. I was a bit concerned before our arrival about my allergies acting up because of Deirdre's doggie Milo. But I had no problem whatsoever. Deirdre also very kindly gave us advice on places to visit in the area during our short stay. We really enjoyed visiting Crystal Beach and Ridgeway in the fall, when it's much more peaceful. We are definitely hoping to make a return visit to the Yellow Door B and B in the coming months. Thanks again for everything, Deirdre!

Room tip: Crystal Beach is considered a summer destination, but there is still lots to do in the off-season and it's much quieter.
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Deirdre Donnelly, Owner at Yellow Door Bed And Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Making my home welcoming to my B & B guests is something that I love to do, whether it’s picking up little decorations at a local antique store here in Crystal Beach, or bringing back an interesting piece from a vacation trip.  I always try to think what my guests might find attractive during their stay. Further, I love decorating for the various seasons and holidays.

I have always considered breakfast to be the essential start of the day, and, of course, an integral part of any Bed and Breakfast experience. I was more than pleased to provide a vegan breakfast to accommodate your request, and I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Good Boy Milo is my wonderful companion, but he is not allowed into the guest rooms at any time, not just when guests are present, so the rooms, as well as the Dining Room, are free of allergens for those guests who may be allergic to dogs.

Crystal Beach and Ridgeway are indeed quieter in the Autumn, when compared to the height of Summer’s beach season, and for those who enjoy a less frenetic pace, it’s a wonderful, and colourful, time of the year to visit.

I look forward to welcoming you again when your travels bring you back this way, and I’m certain that there will be more stories that we can share.

Reviewed September 27, 2023

Our first stay
At this wonderful place.
Deirdre welcomes you
With plenty of charm and grace.
Always glowing,
Suggestions of what to see or visit
Always flowing.
Plenty of warmth and cheer
Awaits you here.

Thanks, Deirdre for making our first visit to the Ridgeway/Crystal Beach pleasant and comfortable. Looking forward to returning and exploring more of the area.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Deirdre Donnelly, Owner at Yellow Door Bed And Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2023

So lovely to hear
that you enjoyed your stay
You’re more than welcome
To again stay here.

I really do my best
To always ensure
That all my guests
Enjoy a great rest.

There’s plenty to do and see
It’s worth a return visit
To your new favorite
Yellow Door B and B

Reviewed September 2, 2023

We were looking for a quiet, comfortable home base for a couple of days of cycling with our son. The Yellow Door B&B was a great choice and exceeded expectations. It was fun to approach Niagara Falls from the opposite direction than the mass of tourists and not have to worry about parking. On the second day we explored some of the interesting bike paths along the canal. Deirdre's excellent reputation for looking after cyclists is well-deserved--she gives them lots of TLC. The breakfast was tasty and ample and the rooms were quiet and comfortable. I especially liked the soft sheets. And the yellow door. 😁

Room tip: Great area for cycling. We really enjoyed the Friendship Trail.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Deirdre Donnelly, Owner at Yellow Door Bed And Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2023

Thank you for your wonderful review.

My cycling guests have often commented that the Yellow Door is ideally situated for a bicycle tour of the Niagara region. Niagara Falls and Niagara-On -The Lake are to the east and north along the lake, while the Welland canal is to the west and North.

And Niagara‘s deservedly, well known wineries are to be found throughout the region and make for an ideal stop along the way.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, that you found the accommodation comfortable, and that you enjoyed your breakfast.

I do try to ensure that all my cycling guests are well cared for, since their onward journey will require a restful sleep, and a nutritious breakfast.

Perhaps your future travels will bring you and your family back this way. If so, I would welcome the opportunity to host you again at the Yellow Door Bed & Breakfast.

Reviewed September 1, 2023

A wonderful experience. Delicious breakfast, comfortable and clean room, excellent location. Extra touches - chocolates by the bed, energy bar for the next day's cycle, water and pop in the room's fridge. A lovely heritage home in a quiet neighbourhood. Accommodating and knowledgeable host. Thanks, Deirdre!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Deirdre Donnelly, Owner at Yellow Door Bed And Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2023

Thank you for your kind review.

Many of my guests are cyclists, like yourself, and I make it a priority to provide them (and, in fact all my guests) with a delicious and nutritious breakfast, and an energy bar for the ride ahead. And the quiet neighborhood is perfect for a good night’s sleep, which all guests appreciate.

Should your future travel plans bring you back to the Crystal Beach area, I hope you will consider a return stay at the Yellow Door Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed August 23, 2023

My boyfriend and I cycled in and stayed for one night. Deirdre mentioned she had forgotten she'd initially had our dates booked off as she had plans the next morning, but she was kind enough to accommodate us for the night anyway. There was a cake waiting for us as I'd mentioned it would be our 2 year dating anniversary. She was kind and helpful throughout our entire stay. We'd mentioned where we were going to eat and she suggested we call ahead since she'd heard the reservations were usually pretty booked up. We stayed in the Penny Farthing room which was clean and cosy. The next morning Deirdre made us a wonderful filling breakfast that was perfect for the second day of our long bike ride. I have nothing but praise for Deirdre and we will certainly be returning in the future.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Deirdre Donnelly, Owner at Yellow Door Bed And Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2023

Thank you so much for your kind review.

You may recall that you originally picked a different date for your visit and then asked to change it to another date to which I agreed. As you mentioned above, I had "blocked" that second date off for personal reasons but agreed to accept your booking for the changed date so that you would not be disappointed for your second year anniversary celebration.

So, it's always a pleasure to be able to accommodate a special request for a celebratory occasion. A number of guests have identified special occasions and it has always been very satisfying to be able to assist in the celebration be it a birthday, anniversary, or some other special occasion.

I am always pleased to suggest local establishments as possible dinner venues as we are fortunate to have a number of great restaurants in the immediate area that are easily accessible. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your dinner.

I always consider that cyclists deserve a delicious and nutritious breakfast to start their day's ride. (Actually, all my guests are sent off after an equally delicious and nutritious breakfast).

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and I look forward to welcoming you through the Yellow Door when your travel plans bring you back this way.