“By far best place to stay in Guelph”

Norfolk Guest House
Ranked #1 of 5 Guelph B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2015

Recently stayed again in Norfolk Guest House on 2015-09-09, this is by far the nicest Inn/B&B in Guelph, and probably nicest hotel for at least ~60mi around. Very comfortable beds, beautifully decorated rooms. I stayed in the Grandview room, which is a very spacious 2nd floor room with radiant floor heating, very large jacuzzi tub and separate multi-jet shower, and large balcony overlooking garden/koi pond; also very quiet. I travel extensively for business and this room was nicer than most Four Seasons/Fairmont hotels, let alone the other local Delta/Holiday Inn/Staybridge hotels. Free wifi (very high speed, not throttled <5mb like most hotels), free breakfast was also very good. Guest accessible tea in the evenings. Owner Janet is a very congenial, helpful host, very knowledgeable re: local events/restaurants. Atlthough it's a B&B and thus great for couples getaways, it's just as good for business travellers, e.g. high perf wifi is a major feature for me.

Room Tip: Grandview/Penthouse are nicest, Turkish and Queen also very good
1  Thank quietpc3400
Janetperry, Owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2015

We pay attention to details such as providing free fibre optic wifi to make guest feel connected at all times. We understand how important internet is to our daily work lives as well as staying connected to loved ones while away. We have a large portion of our daily reservation as business travellers like you. We feel that you can be pampered and have all the comforts while fitting into your work budget
Thankyou for your continued support and we appreciate all your helpful feed back. It lets us know where we are doing well and how we can improve.

There are newer reviews for Norfolk Guest House

Reviewed 30 September 2015

Whenever I'm feeling stressed and need a dream escape I choose Norfolk BNB to retreat to. Rejuvenated and Relaxed is how I feel when I leave the doorway of this stunning getaway!! Thank you so much for this urban blessing!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Janetperry, Owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2015

Norfolk Guest house was always intended to be a place for all to come and find peace and relaxation, we provide an enviorment of rest that allows the who choose to recharge. Glad you were one of those that appreciate this gift. We are honoured to have made your stay exactly what you wanted. Look forward to more improvements are we shift into something new in the near future...stay tuned!

Reviewed 29 September 2015

More than what we expected!!! We recently moved back to guelph for business and needed a place to stay. We had stayed there before a few years back on a romantic getaway weekend and it was the first place that came to mind. We stayed the Grandview suite which is just what we needed, being a big guy it was nice to have more than ample room to do my work and not feel like I was in a hotel room, the bed was extremely comfortable with great pillows. The bath tub was actually large enough for a person over 6 ft which is hard to find. My wife and I enjoyed the use of the balcony and gardens in the evening which was nice treat. During our stay the owner went above and beyond what was expected for sure!! She made it a priority to help us. The owner helped us get acquainted with guelph and find places like the best yoga or restaurants in town. She even helped me find to a bunch of different events workshops and looked up a course in my field that was offered here. The thing that topped it off the most was her delicious homemade breakfasts, healthy and fresh, and as someone on a strict diet she did her best to catered to me. On the grounds is a Koi pond which her partner showed me how to feed the fish by hand. Overall the warmth and help we received from the owners was above and beyond what we had ever expected! much thanks to them and the staff for making this a memorable stay.

Stayed: September 2015

We hope that you are settling in nicely into work and your new place in Guelph. Don't forget to stop in sometime and come for breakfast, we would love to catch up! Once you are settled we can share our knowledge of starting a Koi pond you asked about, better yet just come and feed ours...they love the attention. Thank you for being such great guests and we appreciate the words of encouragement.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

I was at the social gathering the the review named extremely rude is talking about. As a matter of fact I am the step mother of the guest who was having this event and she is the grooms mother. Her husband and herself were so ignorant, rude and very offensive to not only myself but to many people at this event. They used drugs on the property and drank so much they cause fights and arguments all day and evening. Janet the owner gave up her business for two days for free to myself and husbands family for a private wedding, Janet was invited and drank from the bar like all other guest. She was far from drunk and sadly continuously attacked by the woman who wrote that review. Janet worked so hard for weeks to ensure the event was beautiful and the proterty looked amazing. She put her own money into all the extras the event had. No one once even greeted her with a kind word or gratitude. I am extremely saddened that her kindness and gift was turned into something so rude and hurtful. I truly do not think her review should have been posted as it was not a business event rather a gift of her space for a private event. So whomever is reading these reviews please remember that the norfolk guesthouse is in no way the type of place this woman spoke about, Janet and Paul are amazing host and if you need something they go over and above to help you. It is a place of peace, love and truly a place I feel at home at. I have been going there and staying there for many years now and believe the stay you will have here is a stay you will want to expert de again.

Room Tip: Pre book your gluten free and vegan breakfast. She really takes care of everyone needs.
3  Thank Sharon Q
Reviewed 20 September 2015

Attended for a wedding. Even though we were told that several weddings had taken place here it was obvious from the start that they had never dealt with a function like this. OMG we were playing AC DC with the volume at 6 and it was 9:30. How dare we? They didn't like us using the washrooms and even tried blocking people at the end of the night however they didn't have any other washrooms to use. Where were the portables? The worst part was when one of the workers that was dressed like a bum insulted the way my son was dressed.This place might be ok for a tea party but nothing else

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Robert H
Janetperry, Owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

I find this review very unfortunate for those reading reviews to help make choices on where to stay and spend their valuable free time and hard earned money. Millions use reviews to help make wise choices but you have to sift through what has been posted by disgruntled persons and what is a real experience ! To those I personally apologize; you should not have to read about peoples private drama and these posts should not be allowed. There was a function held on my property recently and there was no contract, no money exchanged hands and no communication with bride and groom or their parents, no promise of being responsible to provide anything other than the property to a friend. The property use was a gift to say thank you for all the wonderful things my friend has done for me, who in turn offered to "help" the bride and groom host a wedding as they could not afford much. Norfolk guest house has never hosted a wedding event ever in our 25 years in business. We have had many successful garden parties and hosted hundreds of brides and their families get ready for wedding. Myself, my partner and the staff worked endlessly for weeks putting in extra time and effort at my expense, over and above the generous two day property gift, to make the property look its best for the wedding. The property is located in a residential area with neighbours we like and respect very much. We are very aware and conscious of excessive noise on the property and try our best to be very respectful of those around us. The party held here was intended to be a garden party with friends to celebrate the union of the bride and groom. It was never conveyed to us that they intended on having blaring heavy metal music, smoke pot and get wasted and wonder the neighbourhood with drinks in hand yelling loud obscenities. I was completely disrespected by both the grooms parents on more than one occasion when I tried to lower the music to a reasonable level and then again trying to stop people from smoking pot in on or off the property and again to stop an altercation in the kitchen. The police made three trips to the property during the event before midnight and despite our constant attempts to control the situation the groom’s father ( person who wrote this review) was almost charged with assault at his own sons wedding. We had made plans to be away that weekend as it is hard to get time off and this was not a business related weekend for me so we planned to be away. We stayed as a request from the bride’s father and his wife. If we had not have been here I could not imagine what kind of chaos would have happened while we were gone or what condition the house would have been upon return. I am skirting around all the details of the party to be respectful but it was not us on the police report or the video recording assaulting another in my home. I am only defending our good name and reputation and apologize that you the reader who have been brought into what should have been a private matter; instead it has turned into an article like you find on TMZ.

Reviewed 13 September 2015

We were there for a social gathering. The host was rude to all the guests and staff. She was yelling at the DJ, got physical with some guests, did not allow people to use the bathrooms inside after a certain time, although we all kept using them as there was no where else to go. The host and her boyfriend and "friend" were walking around all the time with a huge glass of wine (constantly filling them on our tab) in their hands and were clearly drunk. One of the servers was harassing the guests and was wearing a horrible t-shirt, jeans that hung down with his underwear hanging out. He then walked around inside only with his yellow thong on. Gross to say the least. There is absolutely no parking on the street. Noisy location as close to downtown. There was no sense of relaxation in this location and it was a stressful stay.

2  Thank SherCanada
Janetperry, Owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2015

This was a private event that was not work related in any way. The property and rooms were donated as a gift to a friend to help someone out who could otherwise not afford it.This does not reflect what happens day to day at the Inn and this post is very slanderous and misrepresents the events of the evening. We did not know the people but trusted that they would be grateful of the gift given to them and act accordingly. As the owners and responsible persons for the property ; We asked the DJ and patrons to turn down the music( ACDC) as it was getting extremly loud and boisterous as early as 9pm. We love for people to have fun but we are respectful of our neighbours and city bylaws and we could see that this party was taking a turn for the worse as some people were over indulging. One individual took offence that we were trying to subdue the party and things escalated from there. After many attempt to control the noise level and poor behaviour of a 2 guests; the police came. 3 times!!!. The involved parties were extremely disrespectful not only to us, our property but also to the police.The police asked if we wished to charge them and we said no at the time. All of which was recorded on video. We managed to get everyone cabs home to make sure everyone was safe as this was our main priority at this point. This was not the function we agreed would take place here. They assured us that the crowd would be very calm and laid back.

Reviewed 10 September 2015

Great place, very nice house, well situated. Our host was amazing, very welcoming, good cook, very friendly.
Our room was spacious, comfortable, our bathroom was... Exceptional! With a huge Jaccuzzi! Make sure you book the Bombay room if you can!

thanks for everything, we'll come back!

Room Tip: Bombay room
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LucasCanada
Janetperry, Owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2015

Thank you for the kind words, we are so please you enjoyed your time and all the amenities. Come back soon and try another room. Jazz festival is on this week...makes for a great date night!