All reviews front desk parking charge corner suite parking lot separate bedroom visiting family a great stay early check bed was comfortable pull out couch convenient location housekeeping staff business trip stayed one night nice room complimentary breakfast university
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I am not a fussy, unreasonable or overly demanding traveller but the delta managed to consistently mess up from the moment I checked in. I booked a 4 night stay to get my daughter to university and had reserved a suite, which had a pull out sofa bed and then a separate bedroom. The person who checked me in said if there were any extras I needed to just call and ask.

Upon arrival in the room, i noted that I would need a few extra towels and more conditioner and I couldn’t find the bedding for the pull out bed. I advised the front desk by phone that night of my request and told them there was no hurry and the item could be delivered the next day.

I then went to have a shower and found hairs in the shower. They weren’t mine and they weren’t from a head and there was a lot of them. So I called down again and asked for my shower to be thoroughly cleaned the next day as it was already late.

The next day upon my return to the room discovered that there were no extra supplies or bedding (thus I had no place to sleep) and the bed had been made but the bathroom hadn’t been cleaned. The hair was still there. I phoned again and asked for the supplies immediately but said that we couldn’t have the bathroom cleaned as again it was late and everyone was tired and wanted to go to bed. I asked for it to be done the next day.

They then supplied us with a coupon for breakfast the next day. Not much of a gift as the breakfast was horrible as I had it the day before. But we were going to use the coupons as we had a tight schedule to get my daughter into residence at the U. We went down, no body helped us at the restaurant for 15 mins. They walked by us several times however and saw us standing there. They finally came over and said it would be at least a 1/2 hr wait. We didn’t have that kind of time so went without breakfast not blaming them for the wait but was made that they ignored us for the first 15 mins as we could have made a choice to go get McDonald’s or something, but we ran out of time due to their poor service).

So we went to get ready, hungry and with a dirty bathroom. When I finally got back at the end of a long day, the bathroom was still not clean!!!! I asked to be booked into another hotel and was told every hotel in the city was full. I lost it and asked to speak to the manager. The head housekeeper eventually came to my room and was quite impatient with my story. Then I showed her the bathroom and she agreed it was disgusting and cleaned it right then (while speaking with her I also noted a dirty napkin on a chair that should have been removed by housekeeping).

She offered me a free stay at the Marriott. I pointed out I lived in calgary and my preference was to fly my daughter home, not to stay in a poorly run hotel. She also offered me the free breakfast til the end of my trip (which I ate, and it was still terrible).

I then went to bed the last night of my trip, the fire alarm went off at 3 am and we had to leave the hotel (can’t blame the hotel I guess but disruptive nonetheless). Couldn’t sleep after that. It went off again in the am while I was in the shower and we had to evacuate again. Obviously a problem with their alarm system.

I did receive a coupon for a one night stay at the Guelph Marriott. What? You expect me to travel 4 hours by plane from calgary to stay at your crappy hotel for one night?? It was the ultimate insult. Add to that spiders in the room and ripped (and poorly repaired) and stained bed linens it was hands down the WORST hotel experience of my life. The state of the room combined with the poor reaction of the staff to my concerns was incredible.

Contrast this with a Coast hotel that I am currently staying in. Huge spotlessly clean room, amazing free breakfast (eggs Benedict and smoked salmon, fruit crepes and flavoured waffles on the buffet every day), staff that goes over and above to respond to your every request, and unbelievable housekeeping service I know where I’ll spend my money from now on.

PS When I complained at the Delta Marriott, staff initially blamed me for housekeeping not cleaning my room because I said I didn’t need daily service. I explained that I corrected that and made a specific request for cleaning once I discovered the state of the bathroom, and they still blamed me!!!

Do not stay at this hotel!!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Samijj01
Delta Hotel G, Guest Services Lead at Delta Hotels by Marriott Guelph Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Samijj01,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your thoughts and feedback regarding your stay with us. It is very apparent we missed several opportunities while you were here with us and we are very disappointed, as you rightly were. We hope you can accept our apology for falling short of meeting your expectations regarding everything from staff service to the breakfast experience you had in our restaurant.

We have shared your feedback with our team to address the concerns you highlighted promptly and we appreciate knowing where improvements can be made. Thank you for being our guest and we hope you will give us another opportunity to make your next visit flawless should you decide to visit your daughter while she is at the University.

Best Regards,

Sara D'Angelo
Guest Service Lead
Delta Guelph Hotel and Conference Centre
sara.dangelo@deltahotels.com
519-780-3700

Reviewed September 4, 2018

I am a frequent visiter to this hotel. this trip I booked a room with points so the room was prepaid for 3 nights. I get to the hotel and there is no room for me and my family. The person at the desk apolgized and said that they would cover our 3 night stay at a neighbouring Marriott hotel (6 km away) since we had really no choice we took the offer. When we arrived at the other hotel they said they only had room for one night for us. It was late we stayed with the assurance that this issue would be resolved in the morning. When I checked with the desk in the morning nothing was resolved. I got in contact with the Delta explained the situation and the person said the girl at the desk was mistaken and that they would only cover one night of our stay not the 3 promised and that they are working with the hotel we are presently staying at to secure us a room. We stay at the Delta because it is close to the University where we were moving our son in for his second year. I do not understand how you overbook a prepaid room it is not like a reservation where people do not show up you had the $1000. already, and then retract a promise that and employee told us to move to another hotel. Also the time to travel between hotel and the university. I will not stay at this hotel again and will not use Marriott's if i can avoid it.

Stayed: September 2018
1  Thank SAN1959
Ashley D, Front Office Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Guelph Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Dear SAN1959,

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. I do apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reservation at our hotel as well as the miscommunication that took place. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent this miscommunication from occurring in the future.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a complimentary night with us in the future. Please let me know the best contact number and time to reach you, or feel free to contact me via phone anytime at 519-780-3700 if you wish to redeem this. I look forward to speaking with you in order to restore your confidence in the Delta Hotels Guelph Conference Centre.

Ashley

Reviewed August 26, 2018

Just got back from my stay here. I was in town attending a wedding, and I was part of the bridal party. I had called in advance to ask if early check-in was possible, and they said they could not confirm until the check-in date. I stopped in around 10:30am and they did not have any rooms available, but they were kind enough to store my items. They promised a room would be ready for me by the time my partner checked in by 2pm, so I went through the general check-in process so he wouldn't have to later. The room was still not ready when he arrived. His items had to be stored as well.

When we finally arrived back at 1am after the wedding I was forced to re-do the check-in process all over again. While we were upgraded, it was still an incredibly frustrating experience. The room was clean, but the mattress was fairly uncomfortable. The staff were friendly, but there was obviously some miscommunication about everything.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Ashley D, Front Office Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Guelph Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

Dear bluefave,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Delta Hotels Guelph Conference Centre and providing your honest feedback.

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. We try as best as we can to accommodate early check-ins, however we cannot guarantee them until our check-in time of 3pm. I do apologize that you were told incorrect information regarding this. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent the miscommunication you had from occurring in the future. I also do apologize that you found the mattress to be uncomfortable and will follow up with our team to look into the matter further.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Guelph.

Ashley Drost
Lead Guest Service Agent
Delta Guelph Hotel & Conference Centre
ashley.drost@marriott.com
519-780-3700

Reviewed August 19, 2018

Visited Guelph for two nights because we had a sick dog in the Veterinary College Clinic. First time staying at a Delta, and was super impressed especially with the staff. Karina at the front desk was extremely kind to us, Jodene in Housekeeping got us some more comfortable pillows (my one complaint about the hotel) and tried to lift our spirits a bit, and everyone else at the front, in the dining room and in housekeeping was super accommodating to us. Room was very quiet. Dinner in the dining room was very good and my husband enjoyed some local craft beers, and breakfast was fine. P.S. Our dog seems to be on the road to a good recovery.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2018

The hotel is in a great location - across the street from the uni, close to a mall, and walkable downtown on a nice day - and offers every amenity you could want, including access to a huge gym across the parking lot. The rooms are older but well-maintained and the beds are comfortable.

For us, a big selling point of the hotel is the staff. The front desk staff are excellent and go out of their way to be helpful. The same is true of the cleaning staff.

Breakfast we found to be a mixed bag, with modest offerings replenished slowly. However, the custom omelettes and eggs available were a great bonus and made up for any deficiencies.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family