“Great food in an out of the way place....”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2017

We have been coming here off and on en route to our cottage in Southampton - it is conveniently off Hwy 6, taking the Paisley Road exit into Guelph - located in a worn out, run down part of town near an old stone church and a large public (pay) parking lot. The pub is as worn as the area it is located in - old posters of Beatles, English soccer teams and British adverts (teas, beers, etc), and dark wood furnishings - all very much like an old corner British pub - and lots of rough old locals coming in and out...but the food is always worth the trip - especially the Indian dishes! I always order the Chicken Korma - though have also had and loved the Chicken masala. My mom really liked the bruschetta (said it was spicy but good), and my daughters like the vegetarian Indian dishes and fish and chips...basically, the food is great even if the decor is a bit outdated for some...doesn't bother us at all! Though I have to say, the bathrooms could be a bit cleaner!!

Reviewed June 28, 2017

This is my pub of choice for lunch with a big group during the week... it is a spacious place and great for conversations with friends. I've tried pretty much everyone of their curries over the years. They are pretty good. The service is efficient, good and friendly. I'd agree with some of the other reviews that it could likely do with an update but you can't say that it doesn't have character.
We've had trouble a couple of times when we've chosen to go for lunch on a Sunday - VERY slow service ... I'm not sure what happens on the weekend but we don't go there on the weekends.

Reviewed June 19, 2017 via mobile

I went to the Penny Whistle hoping for some good Indian food, after all it is a British Pub, and some good, local craft brews. After all this is Guelph where most restaurants boast about their sourcing of local food. Well the curry fries are great. And that was about it. The saag paneer was tasteless, although it looked good, and this is not the place for a local, craft brew.

If you go, grab the curry fries (good fires, great curry dipping sauce) and a beer (you will find something acceptable).

Reviewed March 31, 2017

Excellent indian food can be had here. However the decor and the menu are overdue for an update. Also they have great french fries.

Reviewed January 12, 2017 via mobile

We go regularly for drinks with friends and have food sometimes. They offer an OK selection of Indian and Pub menu items.

Service is good and they have a nice selection of beers on tap.