“One Night Only”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
astroboy82
“One Night Only”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Had to be in town for a friend's wedding and got a group rate. When we checked, they gave us a double instead of theking room as reserved. Spoke to the front desk, he said they were 100% booked and nothing he could do. Reservations are merely request and they do try their best. He said he would leave a message for the manager. Next morning, not a word. Manager, Miss. Ong was not pleasant to deal with. I ask for a discount. Not budging. I stood my ground. I wasn't happy with the room: noisy a/c, poor tub drainage, terrible coffee. She finally offered a $20 credit with a sullen face.

I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2012
Peter T, General Manager at Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Congratulations on your friends wedding! I’m terribly sorry for this unacceptable hotel experience. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss as your complete satisfaction is paramount. For your convenience, my direct number is 905-317-4510. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
toronto
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here at the last minute due to impending bad weather (which didnt materialize)
The price for a week night in Feb with very low occupancy was 159. for the regular room. There was a $10 parking charge and a $10 charge for internet on top of that. Hello????? That is very excessive for Hamilton and I totally feel ripped off. Front desk service was poor.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Trustmetotravel
I completely understand how you must feel when the forecasted big snow storm did not even happen and you paid for a downtown hotel guestroom. While it is true we offer advance booking pre-paid deals from time-to-time the charges are very standard as you describe them. I welcome the opportunity to provide better value should the opportunity present itself. Thanks for the review.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed in the hotel on business for three nights. Clean and convenient. The ground floor lobby hooks into a mall complex which is good and bad. Good as you can get a decent cup of coffee in the morning by strolling into the mall, and bad as vagrants jump off the bus in front of the hotel and walk through the lobby to the mall. Asa result some of the couches have been vandalized and the "feel' of the lobby diminished. The mezzanine level with the bar and restaurant is excellent. I really liked the menu, And three TV's, all on different sports channels - just the way I like it. Watching the Canucks thrash the Leafs. Overall the hotel is more of a 3.5 than a 4.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thanks for the Clean and Convenient review! I truly appreciate your comments and think you likely stayed late last year but kindly got to writing this review based on your excellent memory. The lobby sofas are new as of 3 months ago and yes someone did write on one of the older leather sofas with marker one day. I’m pleased you enjoy the restaurant and menu. We launched Color Your Plate Sheraton healthy menu options. The program was developed around Core Performance’s nutrition philosophy which suggests having a minimum of three colorful foods on a plate. Color Your Plate provides guests with balanced, nutrient-dense meals instead of eliminating or focusing on one or two food groups. Having a plate full of colors is a very simple, easy-to-understand approach to healthy eating. We also incorporated a $12 lunch menu – a big hit too. I’m confident this is in-part of what you are pleased about. Thank you for the review.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Despite living nearby, stayed overnight for a conference. Room was fine. That being said, this hotel does not seem to measure up to current standards for business travellers.

Given that the Internet has become somewhat of a necessity when travelling, not only for business travellers, but also for famillies, I was less than pleased when I discovered that the Sheraton charges for Internet access. I have been to very few hotels that have charged for Internet access - including hotels that would be classified in the "discount" category, which the Sheraton is not.

Secondly, and again, this has to do with extra charges, if you're in one of the conference rooms, and your laptop does not reach a power outlet, there is a charge (around $14.00) to rent an extension cord. Again, this is a business travelling first for me.

The message I received loud and clear was that business travellers are not valued. Drop these outrageous surcharges, then I would be willing to rethink my view.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LegalMineField
I absolutely value your comments and business travelers alike. The Link@Sheraton is our connectivity hub of our lobby experience, allowing guests to work, relax, socialize or grab a snack and there we offer complimentary wireless internet and also six computer stations with complimentary internet. It is true, in the guestrooms and meeting rooms we charge a nominal fee throughout eighteen story building so we can provide excellent internet service and bandwidth. Our preferred audio visual service supplier does provided (for a fee) a wide range of equipment and supplies to anyone of our 17 meeting rooms. Extension cords delivered, connected, taped-down and removed are also provided by them. Meeting facilitators may bring or arrange on-own any/or all supplies. Your comments are truly appreciated. Thank you!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

All in all this was a good hotel and I enjoyed my stay. The hotel does show signs of wear though. We stayed on the club floor and had a newly renovated room, but the sheets and window curtain had stains that were a little off-putting. The bed was very comfortable and the Club Lounge provided a tasty breakfast with quite a bit of variety. I would have liked to have wifi in my room, but as the Lounge had a computer, it wasn't a huge inconvenience.
I would recommend this hotel to other travelers coming to Hamilton.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and your helpful observations are appreciated!
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My room was a corner suite. We got it for a great price. Loads of space, and modernized. We had the VIP breakfast package which was delightful. Great hot meals and pleasant staff. I didn't use the gym or the pool, but I did walk through the space to have a look. Very nice! I will be sure to use the facilities in the future if I ever need to stay in Hamilton again. Oh! It's attached to the Jackson Square mall too, so it was perfect for last minute shopping (it's not the nicest mall.. Quite a few characters, but that's downtown Hamilton for you!). I would definitely recommend this place. It's very convenient, except for the one way streets.. GAH!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
The King Corner rooms are truly popular. Thanks for your review great review!
Kitchener
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My wife and I have had to go to Hamilton several times over the last while on some personal family matters. Couldn't get into the Crown Plaza the first time, so we ended up at the Sheraton. Based on some of the previous reviews, I was dreading it, but we had little choice. When we first arrived, the parking elevator was out of service, so we had to take the service elevator (after wandering through a maze in the sub-basement). I wondered if this was a harbinger of things to come.

It wasn't. The front desk people were very accommodating and friendly. The room was spacious, clean, and we had a wonderful view of the city. We had a couple of drinks at the bar (the Loft), and the staff were prompt and pleasant. Same thing for the restaurant where we had breakfast (great Eggs Benedict).

We went back again a couple of weeks later (parking garage elevator now working) and had the same positive experience. Well, close ....the room was much better.Bigger with a work desk. The front desk people said that this was a corner room. The bathroom was bigger too, and there was dedicated glassed-in shower stall, rather than the usual bathtub-shower hybrid.We had room service, and that was pretty good. Good size flat screen TV too.

Some notes about Hamilton. I was born and raised there, but left for Royal Military College in '69. Since then, I have been traveling and living all over the world. I recall having to go home to attend a funeral in 2002. I was horrified at how the city had deteriorated. Downtown Hamilton was dirty and desolate. Most of the stores were permanently closed. All that was open were doughnut shops and take-out pizza places. Jackson Mall, which is attached to the Sheraton, was 3/4's empty.

Things have changed for the better. There is more life in the city core, it is well cared for, and has some great looking restaurants and shops. I'd say Jackson Mall is about 90% full now, and my wife spent several hours shopping while I worked from the hotel room. She said she might even go back to Hamilton in the spring with a girl friend, because there were great deals and choices in the mall.

A minor gripe. The Internet access at the Sheraton is expensive, but that seems to be the trend with most hotels these days. Other than that, it is where we will be staying whenever we go to Hamilton. Highly recommend it

Room Tip: Get a corner room. They are bigger and better laid out.