“D Lish”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Culantro Peruvian Cookery - MOVED

Culantro Peruvian Cookery
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Culantro Peruvian Cookery is the dream of a Lima & San Francisco-trained chef who found himself far from home. Everything we do is from-scratch & beautifully presented in a spotlessly clean, cosy atmosphere.
“D Lish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Wow I can't stop thinking about the Beef Empanadas, the beef is full of flavor wraped in a very flakey pastry. The Lomo Saltado(Skirt Steak w/oninos,peppers,tomatoes) is also very flavourfull. The menu is a little limited but will expand in future i was told, that combind with a Liquor Lic. will make this place even better.

• Visited December 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kinda pricey for the amount”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Went with a co-worker 2-3 weeks ago, she ordered the Lomo Saltado and I ordered the Ceviche, the Ceviche dish costed me $10 and the dish Literally only had 4 pieces of small shrimps with 4 pieces of yucca fries. I think the cook charges for the taste more than the amount but come on if I am going to pay $10 for 4 mini shrimps, at least put rice or more fries for the side. I was still hungry, had to go buy Shawarma close by for $5 that got me full.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Esna D
Juan C, Owner at Culantro Peruvian Cookery, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
This review is a bit difficult for us to respond to, except to say that as a standard our shrimp ceviche comes with 9 pieces of shrimp and the description of the dish is not accurate, as it is not served with yucca fries.
Toronto, Canada
“Bare-bones, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Went at 1630, before a concert. I had a carne empanada and lomo saltado, my wife had the half chicken with quinoa salad and fries. Empanadas are either baked or fried, and these are fried, but very well done. Lomo saltado was flavourful and tender, with a nice spicy bite to it. Half chicken was very tender and very moist, the skin was nicely crisped and very well flavoured. You have to make do with a limited variety of beverages, and the menu is short as others have noted, but what they have they do well and it is authentic. Quinoa is brought in from Peru, as are yellow peppers, and the aji sauces are all homemade.

My wife wanted to try something very South American, the pork chicharrones, but this is only available on Friday and we were told might be dropped from the menu. Too many Canadians are too scared to eat fat, I guess, and this is a shame. Moderation, people, even in abstinence.

Restaurant is very basic, tables and chairs and not much else. It was -1 C outside when we were there, and the restaurant was pretty cool inside, as well. Bring a sweater in the winter.

Again, though, the food is really good, and well cooked Peruvian food is a really nice break from the run-of-the-mill.

• Visited November 2013
Juan C, Owner at Culantro Peruvian Cookery, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review - much appreciated! You have given us yet more impetus to start making our planned improvements. We are still a fairly new business, but committed to constantly improving so our guests will be delighted with their experience.
“Great food good value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Would have been 5 instead of 4 but for lack of atmosphere and liquor license. Fabulous food very good service

Juan C, Owner at Culantro Peruvian Cookery, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
We really value customer feedback - thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We are currently in the process of applying for our liquor license, and are also planning some renovations to provide a better overall experience for our customers. We are excited about 2014!
Ottawa
“Had to export these empanadas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I haven't been to Hamilton in years and was visiting just for half a day. Needed lunch; a quick review of online suggestions brought me to Culantro. I've had Peruvian a couple of times before but not at a restaurant nor from a chef. The restaurant is small and has a diner feel and the menu is one laminated page. Chef Juan was a sweetheart and attended to me and offered me some samples and suggestions. The chicha morada was something completely new to me and the lightly sweetened corn juice with cinnamon was delicious. I had a carne empanada and a chicken empanada and yucca side ($7.95). All were very delicious but my favourite was the carne empanada. The steak was tender and pastry was perfectly flaky. The sauces and the chicha morada were perfect complements to the meal. Prices were great and the food so good that I even took some back to my family in Toronto and Ottawa!

• Visited October 2013