New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Mother's Day at Mother's” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mother's Pizza

Mother's Pizza
Reserve with OpenTable
Mother's Pizza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #320 of 1,181 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Mother's Day at Mother's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Decided to venture to Hamilton for Mother's Day with the family of 5 adults and 2 children. Use to frequent Mother's original restaurants. Line up for Dinner at 2pm, but moved quickly considering the day. Our waitress was cheerful and helpful. The food was what we expected, good choice, overall a good experience. The restaurant is not the same as the old Mother's, only one black and white TV, no Mother's glasses and the walls could use some memorabilia. One lady who worked at Mother's original wore her name badge, but it was not recognized by the management on Mother's day, she should have received desert or recognition. Each mother got a $10 gift certificate, which was a good promo. We all enjoyed our Mother's visit.....

“Horrible Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Do yourself a favour, if you are visiting this restaurant, get back in your car and head down the street to Boston Pizza or East Side Marios. The food here is a step above spaghetti from a can. The kids will love it, pizza is like that cardboard and sauce you get at Chucky Cheese. Our friend had pizza and was sick the whole next day. And I can't tell you the last time I ordered veal and it came out square in shape (frozen cutlet?) Seriously, I would be embarrassed for the original owners of Mother's Pizza if they had any part in this new misadventure. Don't waste your time.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mhill77
Kitchener, Canada
“It Just Can't Feel the Same”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Like many, I traveled out to Mother's purely for nostalgia value. I don't usually eat at these kinds of restaurants if I can help it, but like many my age, have fond memories of birthdays at the old Mother's Pizza in Waterloo. I even still have a couple of the old float glasses.

Anyhow, Mother's is a perfect demonstration of how nostalgia paints something better than it actually was. The pizza is pretty much exactly as I remember it, pleasingly doughy (my personal taste). It is certainly just average pizza, and it always was.

The atmosphere attempts to keep true to how things used to be, though seems a bit sterilized. I can appreciate not wanting to overdo it, but I think it needs a bit more to set it aside from similar restaurants in the area.

Mother's will do well, though, and I am certainly on board for expansion province wide. If I find myself needing to eat at this type of restaurant, I will take Mother's any day of the week.

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“Good pizza, nothing special though”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

For me, this was not a nostalgic experience as I had not gone to the old Mother's when it was in Hamilton. We went for my birthday dinner. I ordered the Hula hula pizza and a Caesar salad to start. Other members of our party had lasagna, other pizzas, and spaghetti and meatballs. The Caesar salad was a good size, lots of dressing, real bacon bits and croutons. The hula hula pizza had double cheese, pineapple and ham. It had a good flavour, lots of toppings and the crust wasn't greasy. I personally prefer a thin crust, stone baked pizza so I found the crust to be too thick and doughy. Others in our party liked the crust. Good reviews for the pasta dishes as well. Service was good although a little slow since the restaurant is so busy. Nice atmosphere and others seemed to think the decor was reminiscent of the old Mother's. Overall a good dinner but not sure I would make an effort to go here again. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing special.

Hamilton, Canada
“retro pizza at its best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

mother's was a huge chain in ONTARIO in the 1970 and 80's. Little Ceasars bought it our and closed all locations when Little Ceasars first came to ONTARIO. Two fellows from, I believe, Welland Ontario, purchased the recipe and re-opened.

Anyone who says this isn't the original has a limited memory. I never expected this to match the original and was very surprised at the quality and the exact pizza it became famous for. The 'Grandmothers PIzza'. I visited on day two and both the pizza and ceasar salad were excellent. The service was very poor as wait staff were running around, not used to Mothers crowds.

On my second visit, the wait staff were well trained and much improved. The owner spoke with my friend and I for fifteen minutes and I told him that today's ceasar was not quite as good as the first one. his answer was that the lettuce was not spun enough so the homemade dressing would stick properly. The Grandmothers Pizza astounded my friend, who visited mothers with me on Grey Cup Day in 1972. We both felt like buying a franchise but alas, slow expansion is ahead.

There will be a wait at dinner time, from 15 to 45 minutes usually.

HEADED BACK THEIR THIS FRIDAY. MY SON HAS TRAVELLED 70MILES FROM LONDON ONTARIO THREE TIMES ALREADY FOR REAL RETRO PIZZA.

• Visited April 2013