“Great basic accomodations in Kingston”
Review of Seven Oakes Motel

Seven Oakes Motel
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto, Canada
“Great basic accomodations in Kingston”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I stayed at this motel for one night, and it met all of my expectations. The room offered basic, 2 star accomodations, including TV and minifridge, and the room and bathroom were very clean. The owner was exceptionally nice and friendly, and I'm sure she would go out of her way to make your stay comfortable. I was particularly impressed with the free wireless internet in the room.

This motel was a great choice for Kingston, especially considering that I was using the room just for sleeping and not for hanging out in. I would note that the ammenities in the room are simple, so it would be a good idea to bring your own shampoo/conditioner/soap if you're picky.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London, Ontario
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We booked our room a month ahead based on the positive reviews on Trip
Adviser. Just needed a place for the night on the way to Montreal. When you pull up it looks just fine. On entering the office I noticed a very unpleasant smell but still hoped for the best as we were past cancelling and who wants the hassle after a day's drive. On approaching the room we noticed the paint on the storm doors was all worn off in places. The weather strip was all twisted and looked far past its due date and it all just looked old and unkempt. On entering you see that the furniture is ancient and very cheap and ugly as are the beddings. Don't even ask about the "art work"! The flooring was decent enough and the bathroom seemed clean and had a new tub enclosure so we decided to just hunker down for the night. It was a warm September evening so opened the bathroom window and front door to get some fresh air through. We were soon swarmed by mosquitoes. After some checking, discovered that the ancient screen on the storm door had a fine tear worn in it and therefore the bugs. Also found that the drawer to the desk wouldn't close because the strip of fake laminate above it had become unglued. Now this is just plain creepy, even at this price. The good things were that it was spacious and really quite quiet and I do love the old fashioned motels you just pull up to.
However, I would never stay here again. For ten more dollars, on our way back the following week we stayed at the very new Motel 6 on the 401. Not as quiet but hygienically clean and friendly. I feel very deceived by the rating this motel received on Trip Adviser!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sallyoh

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Frisco, NC
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We were on our way to a lodge in Ontario and looking for last minute reservations along the way. Since this was the best price we could find in the Kingston area we actually hadn't expected it to be great. We were very pleasantly surprised to find a clean, quiet room and very considerate service from the owners. They even let us park our boat right out front so that it would be safe and watched for the night. Now that's service! I highly recommend these folks.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave R
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Good service, lovely and accommodating reception. No extra amenities but everything you need for a night - fridge, clean bed and nice bathroom. Very comfortable bed (best sleep I got in a long time). Microwave available on demand. Close to downtown Kingston (one straight road) so convenient and good quality high speed internet.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Bed was comfortable, and clean...room was spacious.
Take your own hair dryer, not provided.
Overall a good experience, just what we were looking for for a couple of nights stay.
Great bang for your buck!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I initially booked into the 7 Oakes when my usual destination in Kingston - the Donald Gordon Centre - was booked solid for two weeks with a conference.

My first stay was for two nights in mid-August at the beginning of the Queen's Football training camp. Selected the 7 Oakes due to its proximity to Queen's West Campus, and low price. We had hot sunny weather and I used the pool and room air conditioning. I was very satisfied with my stay.

I booked another two days at the end of August - still during training camp. Weather was less hospitable, but stay was fine, and the price lowered. Had a chance to chat with one of the owners while reserving my third stay - planned for Labour Day following the Queen's football home opener.

On both stays, I used the wireless Internet connection - not the fastest, but sufficient for uploading 200-400 photos to my website each night.

I have no hesitancy in recommending this motel. It's not the Four Seasons, but neither are its rates. For $79.00 per nite, it's great value.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed overnight in Kingston while travelling between Ontario and Quebec with two small children. The room, with two comfortable queen beds, was clean and spacious. It was great to be able to pull up to the door of the room (no lugging baggage!), and to store our perishables in the convenient fridge. The owners are VERY friendly which made the stay that much more comfortable. The location is convenient, surprisingly quiet, and the sparkling clean pool is a real plus! Sure, the room could use a bit of updating, but that would put it into a different price bracket. For a clean, affordable, friendly stay, I would recommend this motel; we chose to stay another night on our way back through! I only wish there were some coffee available in the morning, either in the room or in the reception area. :-)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family