New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Lovely food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Chien Noir Bistro

Le Chien Noir Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Chien Noir Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 421 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Canadian, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: Located steps from historic Market Square, Le Chien Noir features French bistro classics & modern 'Farm to Table' features served in an upbeat, comfortable atmosphere. All dishes are prepared using fresh, high quality, seasonal and whenever possible local ingredients. Enjoy our colourful heated Courtyard Terrace, Dining room or our spacious Zinc Bar. 20 Wines by the glass, Craft beer, Vintage & Contemporary Cocktails. Prix Fixe Menu, Children's Menu, Vegetarian Options.
Sudbury, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Food was great. The charcuterie platter was very nice

Visited October 2011

Ottawa, Canada
“Chien Noir”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Consistently good and often seasonal and local foods available. Try the fresh water fish dishes. Service consistently good. Need reservations. Tight seating.

1 Thank t y
Ontario
“Consistently Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is our go to for a special dinner out in Kingston. I've eaten here at least ten times over the years since they have opened. The french bistro style food has always been very good. I love the cozy, yet casual atmosphere here. People visiting us from out of town will often request to go back to Chein Noir. I've had duck confit poutine, steaks, lobster macaroni and cheese, salads *love their winter salad with figs!* and many other dishes. Always delicious. It's a little more expensive than a dinner out at some other establishments but, truly not that much. It's not a place to take out the entire family, have dinner and wine and expect the bill to be less than 150.00. Our tab is always over 200.00 here. However, I'll say when we do go out here we don't worry about cost, order drinks and appetizers before dinner, wine with dinner and there are usually at least three to five of us. I've seen some complain about wait times or wait staff. I cannot say we've ever had even one unpleasant experience at Chein Noir on those counts either. Staff have been lovely.

The only thing I could complain about was the lobster mac and cheese. Even that was my fault because I never order sea food in Kingston, save fresh oysters at times. I don't bother because Kingston is not close to the ocean, I am very picky about my sea food and I do not want it to have been frozen beforehand. Well, you're not going to get that here. It will have been frozen or in the case of lobster for some bizarre reason it will be broiled. I despise broiled lobster. Lobster should be straight out of the water, a quick boil and that's it. Broiling it makes it rubbery as was the case in my mac and cheese. I knew that when I ordered it but, did it anyway so it's not the fault of this restaurant.

We don't do fast food in this family. I am sure we saved enough not eating garbage to have a few splurges at a nice restaurant like Chein Noir and not complain about cost. I am a devote of regional cooking around the world. I'm also an avid cook of such foods using the freshest ingredients and spices so I can be a hard one to please if food is bland, or not cooked with care, I will say so and without reservation. Chein Noir puts care into their menu choices and their food.

If you want a lovely dinner out go here. You won't be sorry. Make a reservation, go and relax. You won't regret giving this one a try.

• Visited October 2011
central Canada
“Charming and Unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Enjoyed a lovely lunch of home-made charcuterie. The menu is ecclectic and interesting and everything we had was excellent. Daily specials are good value for light fare. European atmosphere and great attention to detail. Service was deft.

Visited October 2011
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
“Overpriced, Pretentious and Small Portions”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

When you pay an insane $9 for a small house salad and $24 for a burger, one would expect some of the greatest food you've ever tasted. This is not the case with Le Chien Noir (The Black Dog) in Kingston. I visited on the recommendations of people online and was utterly disappointed. The decor and atmosphere are nice, as is the charming location nestled on the historic Brock Street, but that's where my compliments end. This place has what has to be the worst price/quality ratio of all of the 'top' restaurants in the city. The portions are presented beautifully but are incredibly small, and ultimately quite underwhelming for the very expensive costs you will pay. Another example: just seven pieces of 'artisan' cheese will run you $29. That's insane. I'm not opposed to paying for high quality food, service and fresh ingredients, but if you want that, go somewhere else. For instance, at AquaTerra, $30 gets you an amazing three course meal with coffee and tea...If you'd rather have 7 pieces of cheese, then head to The Black Dog.

• Visited February 2011