“Decent fare.”

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Kingston
Reserve with OpenTable
The Keg Steakhouse + Bar Kingston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 471 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Kingston
Reviewed August 25, 2018

Went there for a quick lunch during a day-trip to Kingston. Food was good and abundant, and waitress was quite friendly.

Reviewed August 21, 2018

Imagine yourself lost and wandering in a strange city. The temperature is 30 C and, unlike the cartoon character who is hopelessly crawling through a desert, you've actually found an oasis...The Keg.

Now think about how excited you are, having been to The Keg in several other cities. You just know there'll be good service, an immediate glass water, and bread not far behind. You know the staff will be courteous and respond to your needs. Consistency is key. The food will be amazing and you are overjoyed as you enter the building.

You are seated, and immediately mention that you'd appreciate several glasses of water. A menu is placed before you.

Some minutes pass, and a lovely couple is seated beside you. Before you know it, they receive water, a recitation of the specials, and have their order taken. As the waiter turns his back to walk away, you, in your now raspy, dehydrated voice say, "Excuse me. May I have some water please?" He comes, and fills both glasses at your table as per your request. At this point, you also ask for a martini. Odd you think. A drink is usually one of the first things they try to serve.

The waiter returns with bread, salads, and drinks, places them on the table beside you, and once again begins to walk away. You call out and request some bread and immediately place your entire order for fear of becoming more invisible as the night goes on. After a half hour, your martini is delivered, your water glasses are empty, not to be refilled, and nothing is said about your bread. Forty-five minutes later, you decide to use the rest room...("out of order" sign on one stall, another stall with broken door, and no soap in one dispenser).

You note that a manager type person visits the table beside you, asks about food and whether the couple is celebrating a special occasion. You witness this several more times during your visit.

Your meal arrives after one full hour. It is acceptable, but not outstanding considering past Keg experiences and, of course, the price. The bread comes at the same time. You mull over whether or not to leave a lesser tip which would only feed into what is probably already assumed about you as a lone diner.

I must say, had this been my first Keg experience, it probably would have been my last. In my opinion, some of the staff are either overworked, in which case they need to hire more servers, or undertrained. That's my personal experience in this restaurant.

Reviewed August 20, 2018

As always the Keg food and service was really good. Our waiter Romeo was outstanding and helped to make our getaway in Kingston special.

Because we planned this little getaway, we decided to wait to go to Lobster Summer until we got to Kingston. That was the reason we went so we were disappointed that they did not have any whole Lobsters for dinner. We were able to get a 1/2 and it was very good however it doesn't take away from our disappointment.

1  Thank BlueJai
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Came to Kingston to celebrate my birthday, so it’s a must for me to go to The Keg as I have never had a bad meal and the Kingston location did not disappoint

I had booked my reservations few days before and when I got to the restaurant (about 15 mins early) they checked me in but we did have to wait right up until the exact time for them to get us. So unless someone was at that table, it would have been nice to sit at our table right away.

We had a very nice server by the name of Jon (sorry it could also be John) and he was very helpful and attentive. We were able to order our drinks and food without any issues and though my salad came wit dressing, Jon quickly had to changed without so much as a blink of an eye.

Our food also came out in nice periods so as to allow enough time between each course. We shared the fried cauliflower and Caesar salad. I had a filet mignon with asparagus and my dad had the teriyaki with Asiago rice, paired with Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon, all of which was delicious and filling.

Being my birthday of course they brought me a free piece of their famous Billy Miner Pie - which is to literally die for - and they were very generous on the size. Much to our horror we couldn’t finish it, but then again, we also share it with 2-3 people.

All in all I highly recommend The Keg in Kingston for a nice celebration meal or just a family get together. If you don’t like large crowds or noises, do ask if you can move. That was our only downfall was that we were in the middle of several parties who were very loud.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to The Keg in Kingston a half dozen times and I’ve never been disappointed.
The food is great and service has always been very good.
The steaks always are cooked exactly the way I ask them to cook it and only once was my wife’s a little undercooked for her tastes. It was immediately taken back and when it came back it was perfect.