“Can't stay away”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2016

This restaurant gets 5 stars in my book for food, decor and service. Our family has enjoyed many a meal at the establishment even outside on the patio in the summer time. There is a convenient take out and they even serve delicious breakfasts. This might be the best place to go in London.

1  Thank Susan M

Reviewed 27 July 2016

My husband and I stopped in for dinner last night and it was fabulous!
We decided to have raspberry daiquiris and sol beer with flautas and rice. OMG, it was all delicious! We love this restaurant and visit for dinner about once a month as it is a favourite of ours. We have brought friends with us and it always ends up that each couple come back since the food is excellent, the atmosphere wonderful and the service superb.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

We came here for dinner during the week. Our server was very good and attentive the whole evening. He allowed us to sample the beer before ordering our pitcher which was a plus (I believe we went with a forked river pale ale).
The menu is unorganized and hard to read. It lacks more authentic Mexican dishes and offers little variety. We were instantly disappointed.
We were given homemade nachos and salsa. The salsa was good, however, the nachos were just okay. They tasted more like a dorito as they came with some sort of dry seasoning. This same seasoning was also put on their fries.
We ordered a couple of burritos with spicy beef, beans and rice. Honestly, it just wasn't what we were expecting. It lacked flavour. It was just a bland meal. The beans weren't quite right.
We overheard a waitress explaining to another couple that the restaurant has recently changed owners within the last year or so. This explains why Under the Volcano is nothing like what we remember! This was not the authentic Mexican experience we had remembered and were expecting.
The decor inside is cute but dated and not entirely clean (lots of dust). They do have a good selection of hot sauces. Margaritas are overpriced.
Won't be returning. Can't see this place staying in business long. If you feel like this is a place you just have to try, make sure you get a coupon for buy one get a second entree 1/2 price.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

I enjoyed the food, the atmosphere and our waiter was very pleasant. The restaurant was very crowded because it had a coupon promotion going on. It was VERY hot in the restaurant, which wasn't very comfortable. The manager/waiter/host...him that took care of things basically made the alcoholic drinks, and was very stingey. The mixed drinks were no where near the top of the glass. For the price people were paying for mixed drinks, they should be full, not 1/2 an inch from the top of the glass!

Reviewed 15 June 2016

Attended with friends for the first time since the restaurant moved to this current location (some time ago). We do like Mexican food but my partner was disappointed that she could not find something that she really liked on the menu and she reported that her salad seemed to be mostly comprised of lettuce. I was pleased to find Chimichanga on the menu and to make it a pleasant experience, there was quite a variety of choices for the filling and I tried the spinach and mushroom which was very good as were the choices of two sides. Our friends seemed happy enough with their meals. The décor is really pretty ... casual if not 1960s coffee house cheap odds and ends but as my friend Jim used to say "a change is as good as a rest" so, it didn't offend me at all. It was a very unusually hot night in London and the window seats were uncomfortable so that we moved to a table with a ceiling fan ... that helped but it was not particularly comfortable. if it is hot out and you want cool in the restaurant, go somewhere else. The wait staff were very good and sufficiently attentive without being overly so. I would go again but my partner is not likely to come along