“Excellent views, but lousy pool”

Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal
“Excellent views, but lousy pool”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We loved our recent stay at this Marriott Fallsview hotel. When I checked in at the registration desk, I was told "I noticed you booked a room with a city view but as there is a conference going on, all rooms with city views are taken, so I'm sorry to upgrade you to a room with a Falls view". As it turns out, there was nothing to be ‘sorry’ about. We got a super great clean and sleek room on the 28th floor with a fantastic view on the Falls. Just beautiful to see how the lights bright up the Falls until midnight. That weekend was actually very windy, so we were very happy to enjoy the Falls from our hotel room. Staff was very friendly and the (not so cheap) menu options in the restaurant were what you expect from a hotel of this class.

The only point that was not 'up to the standards' was the swimming pool. That pool was not well maintained, neither was it very inviting. As was mentioned on the hotel site, there were still some renovation works going on the ground floor, but that didn't interfere with the check in process. Still, our room view made up for that and I wouldn't mind to return to this hotel. For the price, however, I would also suggest to compare it with a hotel in one of the vintage hotels in Niagara On The Lake, especially if you consider a romantic getaway. These vintage hotels (Queen's Landing; Pillar and Post & The Prince Of Wales) are only 15-20 min away and are more relaxing than this modern and business like hotel. Just wanted to mention this option if you're looking for an inspiring weekend out of the city. Niagara On The Lake is a lovely historic village and many visitors to the Falls don't even know about it.

Room Tip: It makes sense to get a Falls view as it is a breath taking experience.
2 Thank Belvera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,421)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Me and the girlfriend went here for 2 days during the week to celebrate my birthday.

The first room they gave us, on the 11th floor, absolutely stunk of mildew and "old socks". We paid an extra 20 dollars to upgrade to a suite on the 14th floor which was a somewhat nice room, but there is still a lot to dislike.

Major issues with this hotel:

EVERYTHING costs more and more and more money.

-Parking is an absolutely ridiculous 25 dollars a night. Do yourself a favor and park in the Fallsview Casino parkade for only 5 dollars instead

-The bottles of water in the room cost an absurd $7.95 so make sure to bring plenty of your own

-The air conditioning hardly works, we maxed out the thermostat on the highest fan setting and coldest temperature and it was still shooting out only room temperature air. We had the same problem in the 11th floor room before upgrading. AC in this place absolutely SUCKS.

-The "standing shower" is so small and narrow and has a huge protruding handle to switch between hot and cold that I bumped into it at least twice every time I showered, either causing me to yelp at the blast of cold water, or worse, scream from being scalded unexpectedly

-The "freebies" they will give you like wine tour tastings come with no transportation and are 40 minutes away, making them completely useless. Only worthwhile coupon we used out of the entire stack was for the free mediocre breakfast in the morning which was not very good at all

-If you need internet during your stay it'll cost you another $10+tax so I just used the data plan on my cellphone instead

-Our room was only 'okay'. Couldn't see the falls from our bed due to horrible furniture layouts, the carpet was tacky and old, and as mentioned, the bathroom/showers were tiny and horrible.

The cash grabs never end with these idiots. Should be loads cheaper considering that the entire fallsview area seems to shut down by 11pm at night, there's not an open bar in sight without paying a $15 dollar cab ride to another part of town or drinking at the expensive casino. EVERYTHING else closes at night. No bars, no restaurants, not even convenience stores.

Oh and let's not forget the icing on the cake for this stupid town: Their so called "light show" where they turn on lights for the falls only last from 8:30pm to 10pm before they're off for the rest of the night. How pathetic..

We had a good time because of eachother but this hotel and the town in general is incredibly lackluster. What a rip off.

I would definitely not pick this hotel again. Wouldn't even consider it.

I'd hate to see how that AC performs in the dead of summer

Room Tip: Fallsview rooms are the only ones worth considering
10 Thank Ryan R
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I took a trip to Niagra Falls and stayed at this hotel. It was beautiful, and absolutely breathtaking. The ambience of the fireplace, the hot tub and the view was awe inspiring. Thank you for making this trip special.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annette C
Newburyport, MA
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We spent the weekend at Niagara Falls and stayed at the Fallsview Marriott and we had a great time. I am Marriott platinum, so we got upgraded to a top floor (23rd) room and the view was just amazing! We spent a lot of time just sitting by the window, looking at the view! The hotel was very nice and all of the staff we dealt with were very nice and helpful. Definitely be sure to request a Fallsview room if you stay here.
The location of this hotel is amazing for the views, but just be aware that you will do a lot of walking to see many of the other sites. It is an easy walk (only about a block), to the casino, but Clifton Hill is about a half hour walk. This was not a problem for us since we enjoy walking. The one down side of the location is that the hotel is on the hill directly above the falls and the main falls building, but there is no way to walk directly down to the falls. If you could walk directly down, it would take 5 minutes at the most, but the hill is fenced off except for a tram type ride that takes you up and down the hill for $2.50. This ride is only about 100 feet and takes about a minute, but they charge $2.50 per person each way, so if you had 2 people and wanted to go to the falls and back, it will cost you $10! The other option which we did was to walk a couple blocks down to Murray St, down to the river and then back to the falls which takes about 20 minutes.
Parking is expensive at the hotel ($25), but we found a lot behind the other Marriott (Marriott Gateway), where we could park for $10 and then walk to the hotel (just a block away). The lot is across Stanley Ave from the Marriott Gateway.
If you have not been there before, be sure to walk over to Clifton Hill. Touristy kitsch is not our style, but Clifton Hill is so over-the-top kitsch that it was fun just to go and see the place (especially at night!).
We went to the Butterfly museum which we thoroughly enjoyed, and then we also took ½ day and drove around Niagara-on-the-Lake and around wine country and stopped in at several vineyards. I would definitely recommend this if you have a car.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a Fallsview room, the higher floor the better.
3 Thank beachguy53
Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Only thing good about this hotel is the view. The rooms are very dated and the carpets need cleaning. I found clumps of long black hair scattered around the room. Parking is $25 + tax, internet access $9.95 + tax per day, a bottle of water (aquafina) is $6.95 + tax. The restaurant is outrageously priced and not worth the money. There is much better value to be had at nearby restaurants.
I only stayed here because of a business meeting. Normally I give Marriot a wide berth as they are a rip off.
My luggage was lost on Air Canada (how unusual!!) and I needed a shower and shave. Other chains will give you complimentary toiletries but I had to spend $11 at the hotel shop for a disposable razor a small shaving cream and a plastic comb. Like everything else about Marriot a rip off. There are better and cheaper hotels in the area so save your money and don't stay here.

Room Tip: Check in at a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Bazz11
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Both nights we stayed here, the temperature at night got near 80 degrees in our room. After contacting the front desk, we were told "Sorry, but there is a single set temperature for the hotel. Try turning open the vent by the window.". This vent did not bring in any significant cool air. Both nights I conveyed to the hotel staff the fact that my wife is 8 months pregnant. I was worried that with her body temperature going up as much as it did, that she might go into premature labor. Finally, the second night we received a portable fan. Other parts of our stay were equally disappointing. The quality of the meal we had at the Terrapin Grill was hardly worth the cost of the meal. We ate the next night at The Keg restaurant next door, enjoying much better meals at a much lower price. Also, my wife had a half hour massage at the Spa. The staff was rude to her, and cut her massage short because "they were running behind". Overall, this is the worst stay I have ever had at a Marriott, or any other chain for that matter. This stay has been bad enough, that it has caused me to reconsider my use of the Marriott brand of hotels, and whether I want to remain a Rewards member. On top of it all, we were married 3/30/12 and this stay at Niagara Falls was our honeymoon. My wife deserves a full apology.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
13 Thank John L
Melbourne
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed here for one night March 2012. After checking all the blogs and websites decided to go with the Marriot Fallsview (be careful there are 2 Marriot's).
Rang Hotel direct to book direct and picked up a package which included breakfast and $40.00 dinner voucher. Great value. Stayed on 11th floor 2 Queen Falls view room. Hotel was clean, staff attentive, only issue I can say is that the towels were not nice. View from room was excellent directly overlooking the horseshoe falls; could easily see the American and Bridal falls. Dinner was great full buffet breakfast was great. Would recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: Choose Queen Falls View. High floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business