“Disgraceful, Stay Away from this hotel!!”

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #35 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
“Disgraceful, Stay Away from this hotel!!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed a night with our 3 young boys on Feb 19th and 20th. We have stayed in many hotels and I have to say this is the WORST we have encountered. They are very overpriced for the accommodations. We had a double Queen room on the falls side. The rooms tend to be very narrow...not much room for anything. We asked for a crib and they gave us a playpen that was broken. We called front desk and asked if they have free wifi and they said yes and to get a code from the front desk...we went to get it and then were told it's 10 dollars. We needed a small fridge in the room since we had a baby...10 dollars. Oh they boast they have a pool...it is literally double the size of a hot tub. And to top this all off..we woke up the morning to discover there was absolutely NO hot water in the hotel. When we called front desk we were told that the 'broiler broke'!! I complained to the front desk clerk and they seemed to be very unapologetic and shrugged their shoulders and said 'things happen...things break'. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and go to a real hotel like the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Gaspr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The hotel guarantees every room to have a nice fall view. Service was excellent.

• Stayed February 2012
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We chose this hotel last year for our 10th anniversary and had such a great time we couldn't wait for our next anniversary to come back here again. We loved it both times. The rooms are spacious and clean. The view is amazing and takes my breath away every time. The price is great (especially the romance package rates). We had a great dinner at Remington's which they took us to by shuttle and breakfast at Applebee;s the next morning which were included with our package. Hotel location is excellent. Right in front of the horseshoe falls and very close to the outdoor skating rink. Fallsview Casino is next door. Always a good time. Will be back next year!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Best view is from rooms ending in 17 between floors 9 & 12. It is a 5 star wanna be. Price is high for what you get. Staff is overworked. But overall best place go stay if you want views of the falls

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank IshanG
Bowmanville
Reviewed 1 February 2012

With our close friends, we recently stayed for two nightsat the Oakes Hotel Overlooking Niagara Falls on a package deal including our Fallsview Room, full breakfast at Applebees both mornings, 3 course dinner at Remingtons, 4 VIP Wine Tastings for 2, and $50 for each night in Seneca Casino Vouchers. Our rooms were clean with a wonderful view, including the Festival of Lights and spectacular fireworks both Friday and Saturday night. Our breakfasts were great and our meal at Remington's (including the shuttle back and forth from the hotel) was amazing. A very pleasant surprise were the singing waitresses at Remingtons - what a bonus!! All our us agreed - we'll be back again!!!!

Room Tip: It's worth the extra $$ to have a Fallsview Room ($10 per night) as opposed to a Falls Side Room...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Spunky56
Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2012

And what a view! Bought a package deal and was happy with the product, overall. The hotel room wasn't in perfect condition (chairs are tired, carpet's a bit stained) but we paid extra for the 12th floor view and jacuzzi tub - worth it. I imagine if you cheap out, there wouldn't be much to impress about the hotel. We did visti the pool - it was a lovely temperature, and the hot tub was decent. The sauna wasn't hot enough for our tastes, but it likely suits the average visitor's needs and keeps everyone safe. The included breakfast doesn't match the appleby's other breakfasts, though (ex. we drank OJ that the orange might have rolled through - more akin to coloured water whilst others - not on the package - had a tall pulpy orange juice). But, as a family visiting the falls, it was an acceptable spot - I'd return.

Room Tip: Pay for the extra!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Toby T
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here Jan 20-22 my room was on the eighth floor it was a really nice view of the falls for being a falls side room. The lady at the front desk when I went to check-in had asked for my voucher as I had purchased this package through team buy and when I told her I didn't have it but I have the team buy app on my phone with the code she gave me attitude telling me I was supposed to print it out I told her it doesn't say anywhere on there to print it out, needless to say she took my phone to look and then copied down the voucher code. I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel nor would I stay here again, I had to pay $15 a day for parking and the wifi happened to be included in my package but it would have been another $10 a day. The shower in the room has very bad water hammer when you turn on the hot water and it wasn't just my room as I was woken up Saturday morning hearing a banging noise and the vent was rattling wondering what it was until I took a shower and realized it was the water hammer from I'm guessing the room above us. It was a nice bathroom the room was decent the heater worked good, the curtains are in 4 sections so in the morning there's lots of gaps for the sun to poke through.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple