“Unbelievable view!”

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This truly IS the closest hotel to the Falls. The view from our room (Fallsview on the 11th floor) was absolutely outstanding. The rest of the hotel was clean and serviceable -- a little rundown perhaps, but friendly front desk staff, nice bathroom amenities and a jacuzzi tub. The hotel pool, though small, was big enough to keep my 9 & 11 year old boys amused for over 2 hours. Only real complaint is that the Wifi is insanely slow. I know, I didn't come to Niagara to surf the Internet, but I had to mention it. The price is right and if you get a view of the Falls, it's definitely worth staying here.

Room Tip: Get a Fallsview room on a high floor for the best view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed at the hotel for one evening. My room is their standard double bed overlooking their courtyard on the second floor. The courtyard view is their parking lot. Relatively clean room but definitely older room. Bathroom light would flicker and make a noise as it turns on. Knobs are missing on their a/c. TV doesn't work properly. On the other hand, I lost my keys somewhere and the front staff are pleasant.

Would I stay here again? Probably not if I have better reasonable options.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We booked a basic room with the view of the Falls and expected mediocrity. However, we were happy to be upgraded to an 18th floor jacuzzi suite with an absolutely amazing view. The mist the next morning made it look as though we were on top of the clouds - a view I will never forget.

Despite being impressed by the upgrade, we were disappointed with a few things about our room. There were wet spots on the carpet that could not obviously be explained. The TV had about five channels - ridiculous for a hotel in Ontario. Also, we had a balcony that we could not use as the door was locked in the middle of March on a gorgeous day - they should have made an exception based on the 20 degree weather that week and opened it. Overall though, worth the price for the upgrade and that view alone.

Room Tip: We didn't request the upgrade and were given one - try asking when you stay, because a high leve...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank satin3
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Picked up a Teambuy $129 promotion last year. Needed to redeem before April 2012. The promotion included: 1 Fallview room, Remington Restaurant (3 courses meal) dinner for 2, Applebee's breakfast for 2, 4 wineries wine tasting pass, Free Wi-Fi, and $50 credit Seneca Casino in States. It was a super value package. Stayed on the 19th floor Premier Room. The Fallview from my room was superior. I usually visited Niagara Fall 2-3 times at annual base. This promotion was one of the bests in my past 2-3 years. I got several small complaints:
A) The room should have more drawers furniture. I went out of space to put my items on furniture. Sometimes, did not want to put the things on the bed.
B) The working desk was pretty small.
C) The bathroom did not have any venting fan, the moisture was killing the bathroom ceiling. The paint started to pop out.
D) Should have a better TV, 28 inches with curve TV tube style. It had downgraded this Premier Room. The cable service had a limit of channels selection.
E) The room did not offer a fridge and microwave.
F) The worst part would be getting the ice. The ice machines were located on 2,4,6,10,12 floors only. Not too convenience for rest of the floors. The client needed to take a plastic bag or ice bucket walked around the hotel and had an elevator ride .
G) The swimming pool opened at 9 AM, it was late which compared another hotels.
H) There was a parking fee $15. If the parking was free, it would be great! But usually, it would not happen in Niagara Fall 3 to 4.5 Stars hotels.
There was a shuttle bus service from hotel to Remington Restaurant. It was a bonus if you did not want to drive. Otherwise it was a 15-25 minutes walk. Although there were a lot of small complains from my personal preferences, "Dollar per Dollar", it was worth to stay! Super Great Value!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Loong97
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed there over the weekend with another couple. The place was fairly priced, and we were wuite surprised by the beautiful view. Even though we were only on the 5th floor you got a great view of the falls. There is also an observation deck on the 14 the floor which gave us great picture opportunities especially during a beautiful rainbow. I would also like to say that the staff was very helpful and gave plenty of info on visiting the niagara area

Room Tip: Even though we were on the 5th floor we had a great view of the falls..I would recommend requesting...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dfox0403
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel last March last March for our anniversary. The view from our room was spectacular, dinner at Remington's was very good and we found our voucher for dinner worked well and we could choose from several entrees or use the voucher towards anything on the very expansive menu. The extras like wine and after dinner liqueur were reasonably priced. Nice to have a shuttle so we could enjoy a drink and not worry about driving. The view in the evening was so amazing and then again could watch the sunrise over the falls right from our room. we chose to use the winery testings the following day after a wonderful and very generous breakfast at Applebee's which is connected to the hotel. One piece of advice is to spend the extra to get a falls view room vs a falls side room. The falls view rooms are on the higher floors and it is worth the extra dollars to have it. We have booked again for our anniversary this year again...looking forward to everything!

Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Valerie M
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Hotel staff were excellent and we got an awesome deal for our 2 night get away. The hotel is older and is in need updating. Many newer hotels in the area so I am sure that they will be considering that in order to stay competitive,

Room Tip: Had a falls view room so that makes your stay very special
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple