“Awesome!”
Review of HI- Niagara Falls

HI- Niagara Falls
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Having read other reviews I have to admit, I had my doubts about this place. I needn't have worried though, this is one of the best hostels I've stayed at. The rooms and reasonably sized, bright and clean. Plenty of bathrooms which were also very clean. Free wifi, free computers for those without laptops, free breakfast, what more could you ask for? The common areas are fantastic, great kitchen/dining area and the basement lounge is very cool. Yes, it's a good 25 minute walk to the falls but it's a beautiful area to be walking in and there is public transport if you are feeling lazy. My advice? stay here when visiting Niagara falls.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicola W

Reviewed 16 September 2011

An average hostel for an average experience. No breakfast in the morning unlike other HI establishments. Their location is very close to the coach and train stations but a good 25-mn hike or a $4 bus ride from the Falls ; nightlife or restaurants are virtually non-existent in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have no idea how this place even stays open. I was there for 3 days. during that time I say them clean a mattress of bed bugs in the outside public eating area. The ran out of Toilet paper twice. They ran out of milk and bread for breakfast before anyone even had a chance to eat. The staff spends most of their time outside smoking weed. I twice had to wait for the staff to finish getting high before they would answer questions. I saw a fellow guest actually leave because of how poor this hostel was, This was after he stepped in poop the lovely hostel dog left behind for him. If I hadn't pre-paid for my room. I would have left too.
There is suppose to be another Hostel in Niagara Falls. For your own sake I hope you look into the alternative before booking a room at this one.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Stayed here in January, on way from Chicago to Toronto. It was very cold and I was travelling on my own. Hostel is a little distance from the main area with the hotels and shops, but there is a frequent bus even in the winter. Staff and breakfast were great, met some fantastic people. Best part was that my bus didn't leave till 5pm the next day and the staff had no problems letting me stay and sit in front of the fire and drink coffee, so I didn't have to wait in the cold bus station. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank hughannak
Reviewed 24 September 2010

we stayed there for two nights on or way from NY to Toronto. The staff is super friendly an the hostel is great, especially the kitchen. The bus terminal is just around the corner. To the falls it's a good half hour to walk but there is a bus too.
the hostel is located outside the tourist area where live is normal, nice and cheaper.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 29 August 2010

This hostel is well located in a residential area close to Niagara Falls and the Rainbow Bridge which includes a walking bridge to Canada (passport required). The hostel has off street parking in back and a helpful manager. Upon checkin I was issued a sheet sleeping sack and map of the area. Ask for a towel if you need one. The bed had a well worn blanket and pillow. The bathroom and kitchen were of very cheap construction. The mirrors were cheap and too high for me to see myself. No towels in the bathroom. The entry, stairway and dining areas boast nice woodwork, but you have to overlook the hostel's deficiencies and appreciate its location near the falls. Next time I would try the hostel on the Canadian side. The view of Niagara Falls from the Canadian side is much better than from the American side and the night light show would be better viewed from there as well. The Maid of the Mist from the American side is cheaper and gives the same ride. The falls are awesome. Though the hostel has deficiencies it does provide cheap accommodation.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We stayed here in October 2009. Yes, it's taken me a while but I finally remembered to review.

This is not a family place, even though they have a "family room." The family room is a standard bunk set, and a another with double under and single over. There is less than 1 metre at the end of the beds and between as well. Getting 5 people and their luggage in the room was really tough! The beds were foam on those wire and spring bases, incredibly uncomfortable and very saggy.

The family room is right over the front terrace that they show in the pictures, this is where everyone congregates on nice nights to drink, sing and play guitars. About the worst place for a family room as the noise kept us awake until 2am.

We got up and down to the kitchen by 9am to have the free breakfast, most of the food was gone, the kitchen lights wouldn't work and there were no staff around to help.

The recreation room downstairs was well stocked with things to do, but really dirty.

They tried to charge us double what was quoted by email, I had to argue long and hard to get the correct price.

To top it off, this was weekday out of season, and we could have got a room at many of the motels in town for the same or less than we paid. We are not room snobs and have had many pleasant hostelling experiences with our children. This one was definitely the worst ever!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family