“Could have been so much more”

Ellis House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 69 Niagara Falls B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Ellis House is a beautiful, clean Bed and Breakfast. The grounds are lovely. Unfortunately, this is where the niceness ends. My husband and I stayed for a weekend in the executive apartment. It was a very lovely, spacious apartment. We checked in after a long trip and I used the bathroom in the apartment. First strike - no hand soap in the bathroom. Luckily I had hand sanitizer in my purse. I also wanted to email my daughter to let her know we arrived safely. Second strike - can't get the wifi to work. We left to find the closest Subway, which thankfully I had mapped out prior to our arrival. On our way out, I went to find Kathy to let her know there was no soap and I couldn't get the internet to work. "Oh, we don't supply soap." She says. What?? In a bathroom? Is that not the strangest thing you've ever heard? As for the free wifi they offer...it doesn't work in the apartment, yet it is offered as an amenity for that room. She let me know I could use it on the porch. Gee thanks. It is a bit difficult to see the screen in bright sunshine. Why not use the common guest living room? Because it is locked up tight the majority of the time. Okay, move on. We walked to Subway and there happened to be a dollar store next door. We bought soap, tissues, shampoo etc. After dinner, we came back and wanted to watch a movie that we had brought. After hooking up the DVD player, we were really not surprised to find - third strike - that it didn't work. Had to watch a movie on the laptop. Next, breakfast. It was okay. Nothing spectacular. Pancakes and 3 raspberries with FAKE "maple syrup" and coffee. Melons and a Swiss chocolate roll were also offered. I mentioned to Kathy that the DVD player in the apartment didn't work. She said "Oh well." That's it. "Oh well." What the ?????? I also discovered that there was no said iron or hair dryer in the room as advertised. Forth and fifth strike - I could have used both items.
Later that afternoon, I asked if I could fill my water bottle up with the water from the cooler in the dining room. She told me to get it out of the tap in my room. That's all she does with the cooler water. I said I wanted some cold water. She said it wasn't plugged in. Strike six. Okay. Why bother having one? Next morning for breakfast we sat down at a table that wasn't set. This B&B had separate dining tables so you wouldn't have to eat with strangers. Kathy came in and told us to go and sit with a couple who were already eating because the table wasn't set. My husband said he felt like he just got spanked. Strike seven - We reluctantly sat with them, feeling like intruders. They didn't speak English so we couldn't even talk with them. We ate our watery eggs and greasy breakfast sausage and left as soon as we could. On my way out, I poured a glass of water for myself from the cooler. Guess what? It was pretty darned cold. We left as early as we could. I really didn't want to be there any longer. This place could have been so much more with a nicer hostess. I booked this place because of the amenities they offered and nearly every one of them were either broken, not available or just plain not offered. Sad.

Room Tip: Executive apartment is lovely, but lacking wifi, soap, iron, hair dryer and working DVD player. If y...
6  Thank LonelyGirlSG1

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My partner and I booked ourselves into the 2nd floor apartment adjacent to the main house. The apartment was spacious, clean and decorated beautifully with comfortable furniture and beautiful antique pieces. The space was so quiet and comfortable - we were made to feel like it was ours. The bed was particularly comfortable. It was so nice to be away from the madness that is Clifton Hill and frankly, the beautiful walk did us both good. Kathy, the B & B manager, was so helpful in planning our day-trips. She was very knowledgeable about the region, made great suggestions and gave terrific directions. She was also very forthcoming with information about life in Canada and life in the border region. Truly facinating to us as we LOVE Canada. We looked forward to spending time with our hosts each morning over breakfast (which was yummy and such a convenience) and coffee. We plan to return to Niagara in the winter to enjoy the Falls in a different season and we look forward to retreating to "our apratment" at the Ellis House.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd floor apartment NEXT to the main house. A terrific value!
3  Thank jgancar
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I read some mixed reviews about this place on the Tripadvisor site after having made a reservation. Had I read them prior, I probably would have made a reservation elsewhere. That would have been a mistake. I don't know what some of these other folks expected, but the Ellis House is a quiet, clean and slightly funky little B&B operated by a friendly and lively little innkeeper named Kathy. It's just enough off the beaten path to be away from the zoo that is the center of Niagara, but only a block from the river. I easily walked to the falls in about a half an hour; Clifton Hill is closer. My wife and I stayed in the Ansel Adams room, and although it isn't furnished the way I would do it, I don't choose to stay at B&Bs to find them decorated like my house, or like some over-paid decor executive from Marriott or Hilton would have it. Like I said, the place is a little funky, eclectic might be a better word. Breakfast was made fresh and accompanied by fresh cantaloupe and watermelon, and good coffee. I wouldn't bother with the pastries served on the credenza, however. I wrote in Kathy's guest book that we'd be back. That's a promise, Kathy, we'll be back.

Room Tip: The Ansel Adams room is on the second floor, street side and has a nice little sitting porch.
5  Thank Larry D
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Although the room was smaller and more cluttered than I expected, it was clean and the bathroom had clearly been scrubbed. We enjoyed our stay in this clean, quiet B&B which was a great alternative to staying at a hotel in town.

Usually B&Bs are known for their great breakfasts -- not this one. Canned fruit, days old bread, and bad coffee.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy D
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is more a review of the service. I just called to inquire about a one-night stay for tomorrow (Saturday). Before I could finish what would have been an 8-second query, the woman who answered the phone said, "No, we don't have anything, nobody does -- sorrrrrry" and then hung up. Here's a tip to the the folks at Ellis: just because you're booked up and therefore can't make any money from me, have the courtesy to say "thanks for calling" or at least "goodbye" before hanging up. It's simple customer service 101.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I was not impressed. The place was clean, but we did not receive the to-be expected warm BnB hospitality. The host wasn't overly accommodating with food restrictions. I overheard the host say to another young guest "you have to leave some for the rest of the guests" (and she wasn’t joking), when the young man tried to grab another small muffin. The breakfast was mediocre at best (i.e., pancakes and fruit salad from a can). I would have gladly paid a more at another BnB with better service.

Oh and don't worry if you forget the rules of the house. They are come in a staggering long booklet and plastered all over the room and bathroom. So inviting!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurel M
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The place was clean and fine as long as you don't expect the typical b&b hospitality. The manager was nice, but wore old tshirts and running pants and was not completely interested in much conversation. Breakfast was terrible- she served burned pancakes, canned fruit cocktail and the worst coffee I have ever had. However, if you are looking for a quiet and clean place to stay that's on the cheaper side and don't expect a lot from breakfast, I've seen worse.

• Stayed: July 2012