All reviewsliving room dining areaprivate balconyhouse is beautifulsmall kitchenetteown bathroomriver roadhome away from homecozy roomenjoyed our staybreakfast was deliciousgracious hostsevery morningniagara parkwaya wonderful staycomfortable staygreat weekenddefinitely stay here again
Reviewed September 12, 2010

A friend and I visited in July . I went with much apprehension after reading very dated reviews of the place.

Everything I am writing I have shared with the management.

I loved the location - walking distance to the falls and on the route of the people mover and surrounded by other beautiful B&B. The house is beautiful, attractively furnished, and clean. Large parking area.

Things that need to be improved - my room - Dr. Mitchell - had way too much furniture and it did not feel like it was decorated for guests because you did not have much space for your luggage or to move around in the room. I also stayed in the cottage and found it to way too much furniture with a small TV mounted on the wall that was difficult to watch without getting a stiff neck.

There was a note that you should not use the jacuzzi after 10:30 and should only be used by one person at a time. This was a turn off because if this was a romantic trip - which it was not, what would be the purpose of one person in the jacuzzi. Another reviewer wrote that there were just too many rules. I concur - the rules about the jacuzzi felt too intrusive.

Breakfast was not my preference and I realize it is difficult to cater to everyone. The meal includes OJ (which tasted quite watered down), fresh fruit , canned fruit and bread. I appreciated the fresh fruit. Over the three days we were served french toast, a quiche and sausage and eggs. I thought breakfast was too late - why 9 am?

Much has been said about Kathy the manager. My first contact with her she was curt and almost rude, but in subsequent contacts she was nicer. She does try to be nice but for whatever reason it appears to take some effort . I found her to be somewhat inflexible - if she planned one thing for breakfast, she is reluctant to change.

I felt she was helpful in suggesting things to do and places to visit . I had pleasant conversations with her at other times, and again everything here I shared with her.

Overall, I feel the place has the potential to be a great B&B, but its not there yet.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank godsgirl2
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I were planning two nights in Niagara Falls and wanted somewhere quiet, classy and romantic. The room descriptions looked great and the prices were reasonable. We stayed at the deluxe cottage inn. First of all, it is not deluxe nor is it a cottage. It is a 'section' of the inn-keepers house, adjoined to another room which from reading the reviews I gather is the 'honeymoon suite'. The walls were paper thin; we coudl hear the conversation taking place in the honeymoon suite. The bathroom walls were filthy, looks like they hadn't been washed in years. We arrived at 6:30 pm. It was really warm in the room. We went next door to speak to the inn-keeper, Kathy and asked about the air-conditioning. Her reply was 'what you see is what you get'. I guess she meant the ceiling fans in the bedroom and in the living room. I thought her answer was very rude. We were having a glass of wine before dinner and noticed a sign saying 'please do not light any type of candles in this unit". I am thinking we are here for a romantic getaway, candles in tow, and cannot light them! I did not notice that on the web site and if I had, I would not have booked here. When we arrived back close to midnight, it was still quite warm. There was a stand up fan in our bedroom. I plugged it in but it didn't work. They had also not left any toilet tissue other than what little was left on the holder. This was now gone, it was midnight, no stores anywhere near. There were also no tissues, no paper towels. I said to my partner, I don't really care if it is midnight, this is ridiculous. I am going to ring the doorbell and see if we can get another fan and some tissue. She did not answer the doorbell, nor did she (Kathy) the next morning at 8:30 am when we tried again. Breakfast was good the first morning, however the second morning 3-cheese quiche was served. My boyfriend does not like cheese so he didn't eat his. I heard a guest at the next table say to Kathy before he was served, "if that has cheese I can't eat it". Her reply was "too bad", and she just went back to the kitchen. As well, I found her, to quote from the previous review, very creepy. The friendliest she seemed to be was when we were checking out.

I will definitely not be back to Ellis House B&B and will not recommend to anyone visiting Niagara Falls.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nybor3
Reviewed September 2, 2010

So, my partner and I got married in July, and took a very "retro" approach to the honeymoon and decided a road trip to Niagara was our choice. I researched numerous B&B's on the Canadian side of Niagara, and stumbled upon the Ellis House. I loved the look, feel, and intimate set up they had, and thought for a personalized vacation, this was a great choice. Fast forward to the arrival.

We arrived after a 10 hour drive. Kathy, the innkeeper, met us at the main door, welcomed us, had us check in, and quickly showed us to our room the "honeymoon retreat'. It was basically the back shed of the second building, attached to the house (it felt like it was probably a utility room at some point). It was SMALL. There was a king bed, barely room for one night stand, and a wardrobe made of laminate wood that looks like it was going to fall apart. There was a small kitchenette with a few amenities, and the bathroom was actually pretty roomy, all things considered. She gave us a restaurant recommendation, and off she went back to her living quarters. My partner and I just stood there, thinking..."seriously, this is the honeymoon retreat?". It wasn't dirty, but wasn't clean either, if that makes sense. It was just sort of "surface clean". We took a deep breath, and decided to make the best of it, figuring we would not be in the room that much anyways. We asked Kathy (before she left for the night) about the best transport into town, and her reply was that parking was a rip off in town, and she could do the walk in about 20 minutes. Ok, we thought, we will walk. So we left shortly after and headed to dinner, walking into town, and noticed a few Niagara bus's passing and picking people up along the way. We did the walk in about a half hour (pleasant but is was humid), but was not looking forward to the walk home so we took a taxi (the surrounding neighborhood looked a little sketchy for that hour of the evening).

Getting back to the room, we noticed it was much warmer than how we left it. We both searched high and low for the thermometer in our tiny room, but nothing? We noticed a fan in the corner, so we turned that on, and made the most of it. Mind you, it was mid summer, hot and humid, so our room was not hot, but it was not comfortable. The next morning it started getting cooler, and realized after researching their website that rooms in the main house had "individually controlled air', and the 2 rooms in the other house were advertised to have "central air". Lesson to all here...read the small print, and don't assume. We had no control over our own air, and as we stayed 3 nights, we learned the pattern that the air shut down quite a bit at night, but then came back on more during the day. Now, my thought would be that most people staying over, if given the choice, would rather be more comfortable at night when everyone occupied the rooms to sleep, and would sooner trade off the day time as a bit warmer, presumably when everyone is out sight seeing, etc.

In the morning I poured some orange juice we had packed, and noticed a sign at the kitchenette informing that housekeeping would not be responsible for doing dishes, that was up to the guest. Tacky, I thought, but whatever, not a big deal. The most we would ever use are a couple of glasses for juice in the am, and perhaps some for wine before dinner in the evening. The irony is the next day, I went to wash the dishes, and the Ellis House provided us no dish detergent, no sponge, no paper towels or cloth to dry, nothing. So we had to go find a convenience store and buy supplies to adhere to the hotel policy (and basically, so we had some glasses to use). Absolutely crazy. PS...we also had to buy a bar of soap for the shower, and tissues. Just a heads up to any hotel, B&B, etc. No tissues is tacky.

The first morning we headed to our complimentary breakfast at the main house. It was served between 9-10am, on Kathy's schedule, not the guest. We arrived shortly after 9, and Kathy greeted us with Darlene (another worker). We thanked Kathy for the great restaurant suggestion the night before, etc. They served us a canned fruit cup, and french toast (which was actually really good). The air conditioner was not on in the main house, and my partner and I were literally sweating during breakfast (like, wipe the sweat off your brow numerous times sweating). We looked and the thermometer in the room read 80. There were no windows open, no fan, and no A/C. Nothing. And we sat there eating warm french toast and sipping hot coffee. We were the only ones there, but the room was set for a full table, which felt sort of eerie. We finished quickly. Kathy and Darlene, after having served us, were in the kitchen (with a sign that read "no entrance...private"). We poked our heads in once mid way through to find them to ask about turning on the A/C, but no one was there. They finally came back at the end to ask how things were. We said the food was just fine, but it was incredibly warm, was the A/C broken. She said no, and gave us the most odd little smile, almost as if to say "how dare we". It was uncomfortable. We just said again...it's awfully warm, just a thought on these warm days to turn it on perhaps?. She just smiled again, and said nothing. Nothing? Just kept smiling, like in the movie, The Shining. We looked at each other perplexed, and just stood up and said we were all done, and heading out for the day. We went back to the room and I immediately looked up their website to see if we could just cancel the rest of our stay and leave, but there was a no refund policy once you checked in. Ugh. We were trapped. Again, we said we would try to make the most of our stay, but left for that day agreeing we would not be returning to breakfast again.

Walking into town we again noticed people taking the bus, so we stopped to ask them. they told us there were guests of other B&B's in the area, and their inn keepers recommended taking the bus, since it's part of a package for other sight seeing events, and was a great deal. Sure enough, they were right. Niagara has a great bus system that drops you off blocks from our B&B, but Kathy never told us about this. I suspect she thought at it was a "rip off" like the parking in downtown Niagara. Speaking of that, we looked that evening at parking prices, and the most we saw any garage charging was $10 a night. That might be a lot for some, but coming from the greater Boston area where you pay $15 for the first hour, $10 for the night was a steal! Again, not the best info from Kathy. Oh well.

The 2nd morning there we decided to head out to Niagara on the Lake for breakfast, and check out the wineries up there. Around 8am I saw Kathy and Darlene smoking on the back porch, so I went over to say good morning, and let them know we would not be at breakfast, as we were heading out for the day shortly. They both looked at me like I had three heads. I smiled and said have a nice day, and started walking away. Darlene made a noise as I turned, like "PPSSSHH!" , and then yelled over to me. I turned back to see what she wanted. She came over to me and said...."So, you are going to Niagara on the Lake for the day, huh?". I said yes, many people had recommended it, so we thought we would make a day of it, and grab a little breakfast there. She repeated..."so, you are going for the whole day?". Now it felt a little creepy. I said yes. She said that she and Kathy would appreciate it if we gave more notice before "canceling" for breakfast, since Kathy does the shopping the night before. I apologized for the inconvenience (I thought I was the guest?) and told her if we weren't going to make tomorrow's breakfast, when shall I let her know. She seemed shocked I would dare skip another meal of Kathy's. We explained we had a long drive home and would probably be leaving before breakfast. She then asked when I planned on checking out, and did I do all my paperwork with Kathy yet? I told her I had no idea what my paperwork was, but we would be checking out shortly after 8am, and would take care of things then. She reinforced the need for the paperwork, and that Kathy would need an imprint of my cc, so please don't forget. I smiled and walked back to the room. I then realized she was afraid we were just packing the car and running away, skipping out. I wondered how many other people had already done that to them. I thought....if I ran a great B&B, I suspect it would never cross my mind that a guest getting in their car was just running out and never coming back. I almost felt badly for them at that moment....almost. If they just treated the guests a little better, used some common sense, and made it about the guest experience, they would not have to worry about people skipping out on the bill. Then I got over feeling bad and returned to my annoyance that we were stuck there one more night. In this little, warm, messy, dirty "honeymoon retreat", with no clean glasses, no tissues, no air in the evening, and oh yes, with a family next door that had a infant screaming most of the time, and the adults smoking out the "private outside porch" that was shared, but advertised as a private balcony online. Ah, the Honey moon retreat. Just like the spa of my dreams. I am sure Chelsea Clinton and her new husband had a similar experience in their honey moon retreat. We felt just like celebrities. Ugh. Not so much.

In the end, we checked out and I said nothing more to Kathy. She put on a plastic, creepy smile for me as I left and "did my paperwork", told us what lovely guests we were, and hoped we would return soon. I smiled, and remembered what my mother taught me as a boy...better to say nothing if you have nothing nice to say. So I mustered up the most Stepford Wife smile I could find, went to my happy place in my head, and walked away thinking to myself..."the good news is, I am never going to have to be in the place again....ever."

It's too bad. There are some good bones to the place. From looking online, I had visions of guests hanging out late afternoon on the front porch, sipping wine, sharing stories of their day, us making new friends that we would correspond with in the future, and having an innkeeper that would show us the "best of" Niagara. Instead, I got what you just read above. BUT, in the end, my partner and I actually had a lot of great memories of our time in Niagara. And just like we told each other all through the wedding prep, it's not about all the little stuff that undoubtedly will get in the way, it's about celebrating us having been together for 19 years, getting the chance to legally marry in our home state, and being thankful for the friends and family that we have that love us for who we are, which is kinda cool when you think about it. So, to Kathy, Darlene and the Ellis House, even all these crumby experiences can't take away how thankful we are to have each other. We won't be back, and from reading some of the other reviews AFTER we checked out, neither will a lot of other folks.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cjhjee
Reviewed August 26, 2010

My husband and I travelled by motorcycle from Massachusetts to Ellis House in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. We arrived 2 hours prior to our scheduled time and 1 hour prior to the check-in time. We were greeted by Kathy upon arrival and immediately felt very welcomed. She showed us in and to our room - she never asked for payment so I asked and she said she would do that at check-out.

Our room was beautiful and clean. The only downside was that the hair products were not what I expected, but that was fine!

Breakfast was very good every morning and plentiful. Meat was not served every day, but again that was fine as we usually don't eat meat with breakfast. Kathy would make homemade bread every day, we had fruit, yogurt, pancakes, scrambled eggs with sausage and home fries and french toast for the three mornings there.

Kathy recommended local restaurants for us as we are not chain restaurant people nor did we want to spend any time at the Clifton Hill area. Restaurant recommendations were great. Kathy spent time with us each day talking on various subjects.

We enjoyed our stay, will recommend anyone to try this bed and breakfast and will definitely stay there again should we return to Niagara Falls.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This was our second B + B of our holiday to Canada. We received a nice welcome. Our room wasn't too big but clean and had all we needed. The breakfast was a hit or miss really, would maybe have preferred a choice? We liked the fact we could escape the really tourist area of the falls and have some peace and quiet. Overall this was a nice experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple