“Avoid room 222”

Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto
“Avoid room 222”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I arrived late on a Friday evening, and the check-in went without a hitch and the receptionist was very friendly. I walked into room 222 and upon walking in the room looked lovely, until I went all the way into the room and there was a very loud noise . This noise was so loud that standing by the bed you could actually feel the floor vibrations. I'm not one to normally complain but I knew there was no way I would be able to sleep with this noise. It was like having a freight train or airport right beside the hotel.

I went down to the reception and asked to move, he explained they were fully booked and that they couldn't move me that night but they would send someone to the roof and see if they could fix the problem, ( the furnace?) I said that would be appreciated. He was very friendly and came to the room and acknowledged that this was a big problem and told me that he could move me the next day and that this has happened before and that it usually stops around 11pm. I'm not sure why it could, but I didn't have much choice at that point. He said that he was very sorry and that the manager would acknowledge this and do something about it.

Let's just say the noise never stopped and would constantly change so I couldn't get any rest. I went out to the couch and read my book just to get some quiet. It was so bad it gave me a headache. It was a horrible, so avoid this room! I did get a new room the next day and it was great!! I do realize the floors are squeaky and somewhat warped, but both rooms were very clean and looked great. I feel sorry for the person who got that room the next night.

If you have any problems, forget about hearing from the manager. There was not even an acknowledgement for the inconvenience. I understand I had a great deal through Group On but considering I would have rather stayed home the first night it really was not a good deal.

All in all I would recommend the hotel if you can avoid room 222. Also the hotel restaurant AG was fantastic.

5 Thank Britnes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Arabic first
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Amazing hotel, unique decor & wonderful service! This was our second stay within 3 months since we enjoyed it so much. The couples massage at the spa is a must!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Soyer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I should have known from the call I placed to book the hotel. I asked the woman who answered the phone where the acommodation prices were listed on the website. Her response was that she was really busy and I should look on the website(?!). I explained that I was already on the website and couldn't find them and she said "I don't have time for this right now, call back later".

This was our second time at Sterling. The first was fantastic and that's why we went back. Unfortunately there was a problem with loudly squeaking vents in our room on the second floor so we asked that it be looked into while we were having a spa treatment. After the treatment we found nothing had been done and had to chase down someone and ask. Apparently there had been a shift change so nothing was done. The manager said he would show us another room but all he did was send someone up with keys to a room with exactly the same problem. After some arguing we ended up in a room on the first floor but were told we would have to move for our second night.

There were also issues with the spa - they ended up giving us two seperate treatments by the same person when we were each supposed to have our own, so we both received a half-assed job (the mud wrap consisted of 5 minutes of slapping some mud on about 3/4 or my arms and legs and a bit on my back and a 5 minute scalp massage - not worth $120!). When we spoke with the manager prior to having these services we were told to go down to the spa and they weere calling someone else in. We would not have gone had we known they would have one person do both services. And they had the nerve to charge us full price for this! We were also supposed to get a %15 discount on spa services and this was a bit of a hassle because the spa said we could speak to the manager and the manager told us to speak to the next manager the following day.

The main issue we had, was that if someone had been apologetic or actually looked like they cared about us, we would have had a different experience. We just found that the staff were dismissive, unhelpful, and did not care about our needs, (or even what we paid for) at all.

6 Thank K C
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Great hotel! Doesn't look like much from the outside and doesn't have too much going on around it, but it is definitely worth it! No view of the falls from the room, but once you see them, do you really need to see them from the room? We were there when it was fairly cold so it wasn't close enough to things to walk, but I think if the weather was nice it wouldn't be a bad walk to most of the attractions (not the falls.) If I went again I would definitely stay here again - hands down! Loved the shower (although the steam shower wasn't quite for me.) The room was very clean and I loved the fireplace. The bed was pretty hard so I understand the others' complaints. My boyfriend and I both loved the bed and slept very well so I guess it's just what you prefer.

*note* We did stay in the off season. I think things are always better then. :)

Room Tip: Loved room 215!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Have stayed here a few times now, and had a chance to try different rooms. The steam shower is fantastic. The breakfast is a nice touch. This is a nice relaxing quiet spa like hotel, but has the benefit of being within walking distance to all the hectic touristy stuff of Niagara Falls. Highly recommended for couples and anyone looking for a relaxing quick getaway from the city

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheCapo
Zelienople, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just returned from 3 night stay. Bought a 2 night voucher from Sniquieaway and added another night. This place is very uniquie, with each room being different from the other. Our room 211 was very nice and spacious with a king sized bed, fireplace, a jacuzzi big enough for 2 and a wonderful rain shower!!! Wet bar and a refridgerator that worked. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay this is the place to be, when we were there it seemed to be mostly adult couples. The staff were all very personal, courteous and friendly!!!

Did not have time to eat in the AG restaurant, but will try to make time on our next visit since it is ranked #1 Restaurant in Ontario!!!

Just a short walk to all the attractions of the falls area.

My boyfriend suprised me with a 4 hour limo ride to the nearby wineries of Niagara on the Lake!!!! Which I do highly recommend taking the short drive to NOTL definitely a must see with all the wineries, quaint shoppes, and eateries!!!!

I recommend this Hotel if you are looking for a personal, relaxing, quiet, unique place to stay the is different for the ordinary hotel chain.

3 Thank Shellshock18
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Sterling Inn. We stayed in a beautiful room on the first floor with a steam shower. Boy was that heavenly! We didn't get a chance to eat in their restaurant but the menu looked great! The only problem we noticed (the NEXT day) was that our sheets had some kind of stain on them and the comforter had a small hole in it. The breakfast in bed was so-so, nothing to write home about. Everything else was awesome and we'd still come back again.