“Best Breakfast place yet”

Phyl's Family Restaurant
Ranked #142 of 572 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

My husband and I have made it our mission to find a good breakfast place. It is amazing how many places can't master eggs and bacon.

Phyls has defiantly mastered both. My eggs were perfect, can tell they were not rushed on a too hot grill. And Mai ly the bacon it was done to perfection! Not under or over cooked. The homefries are a little bland could use some spice, but they are close. Good coffee, clean, did not use washrooms so not sure.

They also have a bar where solo people can sit that I thought was a nice touch. Service was great but was not busy.

We will definitely be back!

There are newer reviews for Phyl's Family Restaurant

Reviewed 27 February 2016

We are always short on time at lunch hour and their service is Always quick!! and the food is always exactly how we ask!! We do not go anywhere else for breakfast.

Reviewed 6 January 2016

Phyl's is a Hamilton based restaurant and this is their Niagara Falls satellite. The dining room is quite comfortable and they have free WiFi.

There are two menus, regular and (all day) breakfast with lots of options. Anybody coming in cannot complain that there is nothing available to satisfy them.

On my first visit in November 2015 I ordered a turkey wrap with soup. The chicken rice soup was quite good but barely luke warm. The wrap was stuffed with cheap turkey roll. There was not much else in it, they were really skimpy with the lettuce, tomato and cheese. Although it presented quite nicely, $8.95 for a mediocre quality dish that is easy to make is sorely lacking in value.

In late December and early January I visited for breakfast. The food tasted OK but was barely lukewarm. I see a trend here - this place does not seem to know how to cook food and serve it while it is still hot.

The service is mediocre at best. On my first visit, there was no indication if I could seat myself and the hostess was too busy yakking it up with family/friend on the phone to notice me. After 5 minutes she hung up, looked my way, pointed at a table and said, "Sit there, thanks." OK, so I guess this hostess has a cushy job, not much to do but direct traffic.

The server came by 5 minutes later with menus. She was pleasant and polite. She was back 15min later to take my order. In the meantime, another party of 4 that had come in just ahead of me was getting exceptional service from her, and a party of two that came in just behind me already had their order taken! It took 20min for my meal to arrive.

The server only came by three times as it was obvious she was far too busy to take care of other tables with more than one person. Then a large group of about 25 came in and that's the last I saw of my server until she decided to bring the check.

Note to server & management: I saw you ask other diners if they would like dessert. Why not me? I was prepared to order again, but I'm not payed to run after you. It's the other way around. When you bring me the check, as far as I'm concerned, I am finished. Your loss, not mine. One of your competitors got my dessert and coffee order, thanks.

The poor service was repeated on the two subsequent visits. Both times the place was not busy and yet the servers waited hand and foot on tables with more than one person and practically ignored me.

Example: There was no silverware or condiments on the table. When I received my breakfast, the server came by quickly and walked away quickly before I could ask. I tried to get her attention and finally got up and found my own silverware and condiments. Seriously, why are other tables all setup for customers and the server could not see my table was not ready for a customer? IT's no big deal that there was no silverware on arrival, but they served my meal and could not see I did not have silverware...and then walk away quickly? Really?

Another example: The server came by every 10min to refill coffee. I had tea, they never asked if I wanted a refill until I asked for my check and had to leave right away.

As such, the last two visits - NO TIP! I don't tip for service that the servers are already paid to do.

Finally, on my last visit (and I mean FINAL) (December 5), once again I had to wait nearly 10min while someone could be bothered to come and cash me out. After paying I asked for a receipt, They handed it to me, there was no restaurant information include an HST#. Phyl's, if you need an HST# for your invoices, then I need it for mine. What's the problem? The server started in on an excuse about old cash registers, blah blah blah. I stopped her and politely said it was not my problem but the business needed to supply this to customers that ask. Actually, we should not have to ask. All that info should already be there so I'm not wasting my time asking for it! I suggested to the server that they needed to get it together. The server then talked back to me! I then thanked her and said with that attitude, I would not be back nor would I send my friends. Her reply. "That's fine by me"! EXCUSE ME? THE NERVE OF YOU INSULTING A CUSTOMER!!!! If you worked for me and I heard you say that to a customer, you would be FIRED ON THE SPOT!

PHYL'S - 1. NOBODY TALKS BACK TO ME! 2. SOLO DINERS ARE CUSTOMERS, TOO! It's MOST OFFENSIVE when solo diners are all but IGNORED! You don't know why I'm solo dining, and frankly, it's none of your business why. The fact is, SOLO DINERS DESERVE THE SAME ATTENTION as others. "If it's too hot in the kitchen, GET OUT!" 3. Downgraded to one star only because TA does not have ZERO stars.

I will NEVER return or patronize the Upper Paradise Road, Hamilton location.

Diners, take a pass unless you are prepared to be treated like a second class citizen.

2  Thank Sheumais
Reviewed 29 December 2015

We actually sat for a long time in the parking lot trying to decide if we were going to go in.
The menu was fairly standard, with burgers, sandwiches and appetizers.
My husband had the "super burger". He enjoyed it. The fries were really good.
I had a steak sandwich. It was fine.
The waitress was friendly and accommodating.
The kitchen seemed a little slow as there were very few tables occupied at the time.
We were there late afternoon.
Still, if you are not in a rush, and not looking for a fancy meal, and you are on a budget, Phyl's is a good place to get a simple meal.

Reviewed 14 December 2015 via mobile

Very good breakfast. The breakfast skillets are totally awesome along with the steak and eggs. Looking forward to try there lunch menu. Fast great service no complaints from this happy group. Looking forward to are next visit. We definitely recommend this great restaurant. Hat's off to you guys see you soon.

1  Thank schken