“Clean but inhospitable”

Cedar Gables Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 30 October 2016

This B&B was contacted and Mrs. Innkeeper offered to drive me to the theatre at night when I called, given that she'd said that it's dark and the paths were somewhat of concern if you didn't know the route, albeit the distance was less than 25 minutes to get to downtown core, if one walked in a poorly lit neighbourhood. I thought that was a kind offer and not till I attended the theatre in the evenings did I notice that shuttle services from various lodgings were delivering and picking up their guests, a matter of courtesy, customer service and convenience.

Upon arrival, at B&B after being dropped off, she changed her mind with no reason given whatsoever which stunned me and created an uncomfortable stay. Imagine being in someone's home and they're showing you their distain. Too when asked about the non working Wifi connection in the warm, lacking air conditioning upstairs room where I stayed, she became defensive rather than stating that you have to connect downstairs initially. Her tone was offensive. Breakfast posed another defensive attitude when an omelet was offered solely although fried foods isn't something I eat, creating a very uncomfortable stay throughout the three evenings and confronting me with other present guests:: "Just so you know, breakfast isn't on demand here." Of course I was embarrassed.

Apparently no taxis exist said kind and thoughtful Prince of Wales hotelier who had his employee drive me home following theatre, in the evenings as it's not profitable for them to drive in from Niagara Falls. That hotel, where I wasn't staying, had more manners and a sense of responsibility towards me, than did the very innkeeper to whom I'd given my business to, in trust. Mrs.. Innkeeper told me otherwise that taxis would be available from this hotel and subsequently, having no choice, drove me the following night telling me that she didn't want to but would do so. I didn't appreciate the tone nor the unprofessional attitude being all too familiar and seemingly not recognizing that I was a paying guest and naturally assumed that an innkeeper would keep their word.

Doesn't the Hospitality industry mean being hospitable as this wasn't the case and the poor treatment put me off this long awaited Bucket list trip that I'd wanted to do for many years. What was awful was no available escape as I had nowhere else to stay and had to wait for my ride home, a big turnoff. Innkeeper could be burned out?

Room Tip: I stayed on second floor facing the garage and parked cars.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank mountainterrewan
There are newer reviews for Cedar Gables Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 21 October 2016

what more could you ask for.
The room was excellent with ensuite. The property was in a quiet residential location. with only a short walk to the main street for shopping and food.
The Breakfasts were amazing and the hosts were very welcoming.

Room Tip: None are bad.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clive_R70
Reviewed 13 October 2016

Cedar Gables is a beautiful home in a beautiful town.The Shaw Room (with ensuite) is roomy and was a very comfortable home for us during our 6-day visit to the theatres and wineries of Niagara-On-The-Lake. Our host Daina prepared delicious hot breakfasts every morning, provided recommendations on theatre and winery tours, and made us feel thoroughly at home. Although we are seniors who are used to walking, we preferred to drive into the historic area of town where the theatres and restaurants are located. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2016

The room was lovely. The walk walks were easy for us, both on the trails and to the main street and the two theatres. Daina and Heinz were kind enough to pick us up from and deliver us to the St Catherine's Via Rail stop as we traveled by rail from Ottawa. We stayed 5 nights and felt right at home (indeed the cat stayed asleep on our bed one evening).
I highly recommend this B&B

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2016

Lovely setting, with a seating area outside, plenty of parking and the breakfast was wonderful. There were lots of leaflets to tell us about the local activities and attractions.
The dog was friendly and we got to chat with the other guests one evening.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine D
Reviewed 10 August 2016

I cannot praise this B&B and it's owner Daina enough. We were in town for just 2 days for a wedding. She dropped us downtown on numerous occasions, the rooms and bathroom were immaculate and the breakfasts were just gorgeous, so yummy!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

Booking accommodation on another continent can be a worry but Cedar Gables started our Canadian adventure with a bang (and that's not just the Niagra Falls fireworks!). Daina is the perfect hostess who caters for all your needs before you even think about them.
The Shaw Room is one of the best we have stayed in; clean, cool and very welcome after a long flight. Breakfasts are a fantastic experience around the communal table with a wide range of conversations taking place amongst guests. The pear and ginger pancakes are divine (but Daina never gave us the recipe as promised!) and she has even converted us to polenta!
Daina gave us tips and advice on where to eat and drink locally - you must try the Ice Wine Slushies - and how to park cheaply for Niagra Falls.
This area is a calm oasis in the frenzy of the Vegas style Falls. Picnic by the lake; try the local ice cream; sample the wine at the many vineyards or enjoy the delicious fruit. I would recommend Cedar Gables to anyone visiting Niagra-on-the-Lake but make sure there is a room available if we pass by again!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple