“Room 285: Do expect a rotten nights sleep, don’t expect an apology!”
Review of Queen's Landing

Queen's Landing
Toronto, Canada
“Room 285: Do expect a rotten nights sleep, don’t expect an apology!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

When we arrived at Queens Landing we were given room 285, very nice, a fantastic bathroom, a comfortable bed and soothing classical music on the bedside alarm/radio.
We were very excited at the prospect of a weekend away by ourselves and we had a lovely evening in the lounge where the service and the food were excellent.
The trouble as we were to discover with room 285 is an incessant droning noise, it went on and on and on and on….
Generally you could lob a hand grenade into my bedroom and I wouldn’t be fazed, but this droning really gets to you like toothache for the ears.
It kept us awake for hours.
The noise is all the more pervasive given how quite it is at Niagara on the Lake, we’ve had better nights rest in the clamor of NYC.
In the morning I went down to reception to complain about the noise from what I thought had to be a temporary generator outside our window-this noise couldn’t be normal.
The receptionist looked bemused until one of her colleague’s explained it was in fact a transformer in an electrical room backing onto our bedroom. Enthusiastically I agreed with him “That’s it, an electrical humming noise!”
When I told the receptionist I couldn’t understand why they would dream of putting guests in that room I was faced with an expression as vacant as most of the rooms in the hotel had been the night before (the car park had been less that a quarter full.) She then asked if I’d like to change rooms “Yes please,” says I.
We agreed we’d organize this after I got back from my walk as my wife was upstairs trying to catch up on her sleep.
I returned an hour later to get the keys to the new and thankfully quieter bedroom.
It’s then that I realized that at no point in our two conversations had any apology or in fact any expression of regret been offered by the receptionist for our lousy nights sleep.
On our way out later I dropped off the keys to room 285, guess what, still no apology.
I’m not sure if this no apology/no surrender stance is a corporate policy or just one employees personal take on customer service.
I mentioned the noise in 285 to a couple of other employee’s in passing who knew exactly what I was talking about and said that there are repeated complaints about that room.
You can actually hear the buzzing noise in the corridor for a few doors either side of 285 so I imagine it has the same effect on those rooms too.
The management at Queens Landing needs to stop putting guests in 285 particularly when there are other quieter rooms available, that or soundproof the electrical room to solve this ongoing issue that they are obviously aware of.
I have to say in fairness that other than the first night of sleep deprivation our stay at Queens Landing was made a complete pleasure by the level of service we received from the other members of staff.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in or near 285
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andy M
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Hello Andy:

I wanted to take the time to respond to your experience here at The Queen's Landing. I have spoken with our Engineering Manager, who is looking into the situation right away. This is not typical of our hotel, where guests are always commenting on the lovely sleep that they had while staying with us.

I do wish to apologize for this inconvenience while you were staying at the Queen's Landing and we hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Lily Kszan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were fans of the vintage inns and have always stayed at Prince of Wales and Pillar and Post. For this weekend, my husband and I decided to try Queenslanding and we booked 2 rooms to bring my in-laws along to celebrate my mother in law's birthday. Overall, this hotel lacks character as compared to Prince of Wales and P&P. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not very good. Our biggest disappointment were the food. We always have dinner at Tiara (the restaurant at Queenslanding) and the food were always impressive. Lunch would be at the Escabeche (at Prince of Wales). Let's start with Tiara, for the starter I ordered their Foie Gras which I always do. Before, they would serve us with a full piece of goose liver. This time, they have changed the menu (maybe for cost saving purposes). They mixed little pieces of foie gras with egg and bread to make it a french toast. It was OK but as a foie gras lover, I was not very happy about that. For the main course, two of us ordered the beef tenderloin. We ordered medium rare. Yes, the inside of the steak was medium rare, however the outside was awfully burnt to the point it was bitter. We returned the 2 plates to the kitchen noting the problem about the steak. My gut feeling was that the problem was the grill (i.e.not really fixable unless they clean the grill). They may have burnt some food earlier in the day, so I suggested my mother in-law to change to lamb rack instead. My husband wanted to give it one more chance but unfortunately the second plate of tenderloin still came out with the outside totally burnt. We did not return it this time, just cut off all exterior and ate the meat inside. We were quite upset. Thank God the dessert save the day. All the 4 desserts we order were beautifully decorated and tasty. Service-wise, it was OK. I guess, business was not very good. Only 1 waitress for the entire dinner room. There were about 3 tables dining at any point in time. Another disappointment was they they charge me for regular coffee and tea at the end of the meals. We were on their prepaid meal plan and for the many times we have been there before, that would be included.
As for Escabeche, it was always a hit or miss. This time this "Miss" was that they over-fried the fried of their Lobster poutine. Besides that, the food was OK. However, the service were great! Overall, for accommodation, stay at P&P or Prince of Wales if you are picking one of the vintage inns. For food, Eschabeche always has wonderful service but food is mediocre. I would not recommend Tiara to anyone anymore except to grab an after dinner dessert. It is such a pity, as Tiara had always been one of my favourite restaurants. I live in Toronto. Before, I always say that Tiara would easily be rank higher than many of the 5 star Toronto restaurants. Unfortunately, it is not the case anymore.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Feijujai1011
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for sharing your concern about the meal that you had at Queen's Landing in our Tiara Restaurant. I was very surprised to hear that your culinary experience was not up to your expectations. Had we known on the evening that you were dining with us that you wanted to perhaps modify the fois gras appetizer, our Execuitve Chef would have been happy to create something special for you, as he often does.

I have sent your concerns along to our Food and Beverage Manager, Christophe Hermez and he can be reached at c.hermez@vintage-hotels.com should you want to contact him directly.

We hope that you will join us again and allow us to surpass your dining expectations.

Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I are seniors and have had a few medical problems during the last few months. My husband realizes that NOTL is my favourite spot in Ontario and gave me a 'love note' telling me that he would be taking me to NOTL for a Christmas Present. My choice was Queen's Landing (we stayed at QL a couple of years ago to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary). QL was my choice as it is elegant, the staff wonderful, amenities just great.
The added touches, Sparkling Wine, Chocolate covered strawberries, beautiful roses on my pillow each night - who could ask for anything more!
From the start of our visit to the departure was amazing and we hope to make a stay at QL an annual event.

Room Tip: We liked the 3rd floor - no noise at all!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dorothy P
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Hello Dorothy: Thank you so much for sharing your experiences here at Queen's Landing for your recent stay as well as for your 50th anniversary. We are so pleased that you celebrated such a special event with us. The service team all try their very best to make each experience a memorable one and I see that they have done that for you and your husband.

Please continue to celebrate with us in the future!

All the very best,

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We went to Queen's Landing for a little get away, it was so beautiful! We stayed in the Dock Master Suites beside the main hotel, over looking the Niagara River, this historical house was just renovated and is absolutely beautiful! We had wine and chocolate strawberries pre-ordered to enjoy when we arrived and later had dinner in the main restaurant, the service and food was outstanding. The next day we went for a brisk trial walk on the water and then enjoyed Sunday brunch, again it was excellent! I recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to get away from it all and live in the magic of the moment, at least for a few days.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2012

we had a very enjoyable 3 day trip at this hotel and at this location and would recommend it to any one whom wishes a great time with lots of relaxation and fun with beautiful sites and scenery whether it be winter or summer time

Room Tip: Ground floor deluxe room king bed
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ken b
Port Dover, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Fantastic hotel with all the amenities your really need. We stayed over the Christmas period, which was not too busy.
Great service, pleasant decor and the honeymoon suite with fireplace and hardwood floors was the best. Staff were always there when needed but reserved when not.
They put together a fantastic Christmas brunch and evening meal, superb.

Really enjoyed our 4 night stay and will return next year.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing east have a nice view of the marina.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
GMQueenslanding, General Manager at Queen's Landing, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Hello Dusty - I was so pleased to read of your honeymoon with us at Queen's Landing. We absolutely love hosting special occations for our guests especially around the holidays when the hotel and town are simply magical! The Royal Suite is a superior accomodation that feels like a real treat to stay in! How amazing that you could join us for 4 nights! We truly hope that you will return and make new memories with us! Perhaps you can make it a tradition for anniversaries in the future.

All the best to you and yours and thank you for sharing your experience,

Toronto
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This Inn is located in a great location and has great amenities. Service is also good.Tiara provides a fine dining experience, although somewhat overpriced. Breakfast is quite uncreative and very overpriced. Felt the dining experience was much less exceptional than our experiences several years ago. Also be prepared, there is an issue with sound if there is any events while you are visiting. If you like quietness, ask for a room as far away from banquet rooms as possible! That said this is a large Inn with predictableness and amenities not found in Bed and breakfasts.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple