“great tour”
Review of Chocolate FX

Chocolate FX
Ranked #12 of 33 Tours in Niagara-on-the-Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: A family run Chocolate Factory open 7 days a week for public tours with a retail store, samples, tastings and special events.
Reviewed July 5, 2018

The building is a 125 year old formerly a cannery building that has been substantially added on to. They now ship chocolates around the world.

I had a coupon from a hotel for a free tour and a sample. Two buses showed up so I left before the tour started. I went back a few days later and I am glad I did. The tour was very informative. Every hour from 11 - 3
I purchased sesame brittle and mixed nuts brittle. I also bought 3 bags of cocoa bean shell mulch.

All reviews
"great selection"
"rice wine"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

What a great place to visit if you are in the area. Very friendly staff. You can book a tour of the factory for free. All tours run on the hour. Very interesting to find out where chocolate comes from and how it's made. You also get to see the actual working process of how various types of chocolate are made into different products.

There is store there that provides lots of free samples for you to try

Reviewed June 26, 2018

We did the "tour" of this factory through our hotel package. The tour was much shorter than expected and was not too eye opening. The chocolate was good, however, I have trouble finding the uniqueness about it. Having worked in the chocolate industry, I have seen many of the same things being done elsewhere (in terms of actual chocolate available - chocolate covered blueberries, chocolate in various moulds, etc.). It was a nice experience, but the package/hotel should perhaps let you know what to expect. The tour is simply a walk down a hallway and looking through windows into the factory. It was somewhat informative, but underwhelming. However, it is chocolate, so all the samples were delicious. ALSO, the peanut butter cups were delicious!!

Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

We just got back from a chocolate tour and tasting (through Groupon) with our 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old. They loved it, and we (parents) were entertained, too!

They are located off of a fairly slow street, they have plenty of parking, and the shop is cute. The tour is literally just a brief history, and then looking through three windows in a hallway, but with little kids, it was perfect! They learned where chocolate comes from, they saw cool jobs being done, and they got free chocolate suckers. You're then offered all kinds of samples (a table full of kinds) so you can pick your favourites. The free chocolate the adults got today were truffles (oh gods, the insides were to die for, almost as much as the chocolate outsides). The free chocolate for adults is sometimes chocolate covered strawberries.

Our tour guide was Sandra, and honestly by the time we left, she felt like a friend, she's just that personable. I can't say enough about the staff there, especially for how good they were with the kids!

The chocolate costs a pretty penny, but it's SO good and this is a tourist city, so it's exactly the price range you would (read should) expect.

I'd go back again next time we're here!

Lastly, we decided on yogurt-covered pretzels (taste WAY better than they look), milk chocolate peanut brittle, and white chocolate coffee beans. It's all amazing!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 13, 2018

Nice friendly people, generous samples...but this is no chocolate factory nor is the tour a factory tour.
Being a business person and a lover of chocolate, within a couple of minutes of this tour I realized something fishy was going on. Hopefully I'm wrong but chances are I'm right.
I got the strong feeling that this is simply a small retail store that creates very basic chocolates selling at crazy prices surviving on bus tours full of gullible seniors hungry for some chocolate! Don't be fooled by the large building, they do not occupy it all.
There's no modern efficient machinery to be seen anywhere and there's no assembly line! Nothing compared with the Hershey factory tours of long ago in Smiths Falls Ontario. Nothing compared with Hershey chocolates either, although I don't consider Hershey that great.
One cannot buy their offerings anywhere but at this location. They claim to ship worldwide but no one asked the question "how do you ship easy to melt chocolate during the Summer".
I joined the tour because my wife talked me into it but I suggest not wasting your time.
You can buy much better looking and tasting chocolates at more competitive prices at chains like Purdys, Rocky Mountain and even Laura Secord.
I can write much much more but I'd hate to wreck their little scam because the people behind all this are nice and they treat the gullible seniors just as these chocolate hungry seniors want to be treated!!!

1  Thank Joshvideo
Wilma O, Owner at Chocolate FX, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2018

I'm really sorry that you feel you have been scammed. We are an artisan chocolate factory, and not a run of the mill type. We take chocolate to new norms by creating different tasting chocolates like our chocolate covered cherries, blueberries and spicy cashews.
We really do ship to quite a few countries, but not under our name. We manufacture chocolate for private label companies. How do we ship in the summer time - well on container ships we have to use a shipping container that has a reefer attached (that is a portable air conditioner attached to the container that is what we use to ship to Asia). If we were allowed to take you to our loading dock you would have noticed that our freight truck has a reefer attached to it. That is how we ship throughout Ontario. If it is to the smaller customers who order online we use ice packs. During the summer months of July and August we try not to ship out on a Wednesday so that the package doesn't get stuck on a courier truck. We endeavor to ship on Mondays so that the package arrives before the weekend (we also package it with ice). We do not occupy the whole building only 17,000 sq ft. is used by Chocolate F/X. We share it with other tenants. We have never compared ourselves to Hershey (of course Hershey is not there anymore) because they do something altogether different from us and we have never purported to be like them. It is not a "chocolate factory tour" but it is a well informed "chocolate tour". Unfortunately you cannot please all of the people all of the time and I am sorry that you felt that you wasted your time. Thank you for taking the time to review Chocolate F/X and I can assure you again that we do not scam people and we do ship out thousands of pounds of chocolate.