“Interesting Place... Sort of”
Review of Chocolate FX

Chocolate FX
Book In Advance
More Info
US$208.11*
and up
Private Niagara Falls-Niagara-on-the-Lake Day...
Ranked #13 of 33 Tours in Niagara-on-the-Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: A family run Chocolate Factory open 7 days a week for public tours with a retail store, samples, tastings and special events.
Reviewed September 21, 2018

We got this tour from the Summer Lovin' Package offered with my stay at the Prince of Wales Hotel. And we were very disappointed that this was included in our package. We just felt that it didn't match the standards set by all the other places that were included with the package.

To start, we browsed the gift shop and while the chocolate is amazing and the samples were great, it felt a little juvenile. All of the packaging looks like it was done by a grade-schooler with clip art. There were many examples of copy right infringement on their packaging as well. All in all it just didn't look like a cohesive brand which surprises me because they didn't just start out.

The actual building has the feel of a school or a church basement, it's all linolium floors with clip art and other cut outs hanging on the walls. The gift shop has low supplies of actual chocolate, and the stuff they have you can get at any other chocolate store. It is also filled with an eclectic taste in other merchandice that has nothing to do with chocolate but must be interesting to the owners. Like succulents, pictures, and antique radios.

Our tour guide knew barely anything about Cocoa even though she apparently went to a Cocoa farm in Columbia to learn about it. She didn't know much about the process and while we were on the tour she told us that their best seller is sold at Bulk Barn which is when we learned that this is more of a bulk provider and everything made more sense.

All in all I can see why this would be offered. It is a very interesting topic to most children and therefore makes a good stop for anyone with children. I feel that my review is mostly reflective of how disappointed I was, all the other tours that were offered (A wine tour a The Hare Wine co and another at Konzelmann and the Neob Lavendar fields.) were very upscale and interesting where as this was not.

The chocolate was good though. And it's great for kids. But not if your a grown adult without children to entertain.

1  Thank AvalonReese
Wilma O, Owner at Chocolate FX, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2018

Thank you for your review we always aim to please our customers, I'm sorry we missed the mark. Our building has been here for 122 years it was established in the late 1800's and it was one of the first canneries in the area, it closed in 2008 ending the era of fruit processing in the area. The floor is poured epoxy which was done because it is food safe and easy to clean.

While we do not have our own brand but we process a myriad of private label brands and our chocolate is sold throughout North America, most of the labels we sign a secrecy agreement and are not allowed to sell those brands in our store.

My mother always said "If you try to appeal to everyone you'll end up appealing to no one".

At Chocolate F/X we are a large employer of handicapped and autistic and we encourage them to be creative. I'm sorry that our store isn't as upscale and up to your standards but what we lack in fluff we make up with huge hearts from the employees that work here. We are a family owned and operated and we are proud of what we have accomplished, we work hard and try very hard to be the best that we can.

Wilma Olive-Mills

"great selection"
"wilma"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Huge clean chocolate factory offering short tours on how chocolate is made and packaged. Free samples and lots of goodies to buy in the store. Friendly and helpful staff, lots of free parking and washrooms inside.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Short tour but informative, its free so no complaints there, they also have samples that are really good

1  Thank deacharm
Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

The tour here is short and sweet. They explain how the company was started and how the systems work in their plant to make the varieties of chocolate. They have a few pictures and the window into the factory but nothing else with the tour. Chocolate here is good but I've had better. I bought the chocolate covered cherries which are good but very dry inside. They do have some samples available and a decent variety. The workers are very informed and happy to share info on their items. If you are a chocolate fanatic then this is a nice quick stop but other than that I would not say it's an out of the way destination.

1  Thank MackBuffalo