All reviews hob nob safari room library room daisy room sunflower room private veranda my husband and i fresh coat of paint french press coffee charming hotel rain shower queen street first floor golf club glass of wine large bathroom both mornings
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed at the Charles Inn to celebrate my 50th birthday. We have ate dinner there on a couple of occasions, but this was our first stay. It is conveniently located in the Historic District of Niagara-on-the-Lake. There are shops, restaurants, recreational activities and historical highlights all within an easy walking distance.

Check in with Kimlin was quick and easy. She asked if I like red or white wine. We went for a walk to explore the historic area and upon our return, found a lovely bottle of wine and two glasses in our room, compliments of the hotel.

We dined in the restaurant last night and the food was incredible. We asked our server, Arturo, to pair our dishes with wine and he did an excellent job. The next morning, we had breakfast on the sun porch, and it was not just delicious, but beautiful! I have never seen such lovely plating before! And the coffee was divine! Oliver was a wonderful server, and newspapers were available for reading. All of the little details the staff adds make it a place we'll go back to again!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Jennifer D, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you "L7945CGkimh" for your lovely review! We were thrilled to be a part of your special birthday celebration and our team was impressed to read that they were mentioned personally! We wish you many more birthday's to come....and hopefully spent with us at The Charles Hotel.

Reviewed September 2, 2018

My husband and I recently stayed at the Charles Hotel for two nights. This was a much needed break and was also a partial gift to us from my husbands employer.

When I went to book the accommodation, the only rooms that were available were the deluxe queens. Upon arriving into our room last Thursday afternoon, we were truly disappointed. The room (# 10) was tired. The carpet felt dirty, the walls were scuffed, much of the paint in the guest room and washroom were chipped; there was black amongst the grout in the shower; the backsplash was peeling off and the chairs were threadbare. The room is small, dated and uninviting. A fresh coat of paint and refreshed furniture would go a long way. Your colleagues at reception were understanding and did endeavour to locate an alternative; however outside of moving to another location (for $475 a night); our breakfast was kindly comped.

Know that we will not recommend this property in the future and will not return. Although the staff, location and the food were very good, the room itself diminished our experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room #10. Very tired. Not worth the money.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine S
Jennifer D, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Good morning "Catherine S",

Thank you for joining us at The Charles Hotel and I am very sorry to hear that your accommodations did not live up to your expectations. I know that upon hearing of your disappointment, our team was able to offer an alternate accommodation at our sister property, Harbour House Hotel, which was declined unfortunately.

I would love an opportunity to welcome you back to Niagara's Finest Hotels and I invite you to contact myself directly at jdickson@niagarasfinest.com whenever you have an opportunity to join us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

We had dinner here 10 years ago in the restaurant, The Hob Nob, and returned in June of this year. Nothing had changed. Still elegant atmosphere, an interesting menu and fine service. It was another great experience to equal the fantastic theater offerings of the Shaw Festsival.

Stayed: June 2018

Thank you "donster13" for dining with us at The HobNob!! It is wonderful to hear that your memory was spot on and that you enjoyed your meal with us once again.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

We stayed at the Charles Inn for our anniversary week-end in Niagara-on-the lake. The building, especially the exterior appears very neglected. It could use a coat of paint at the very least. I understand that the building is from the 1800's but it is looking very run down. We stayed at the Charles Inn a few years ago so the change in appearance was very noticeable. Fortunately the service by all hotel staff we encountered was top shelf. Annissa, who served us breakfast, was so gracious and friendly. Also, we had forgotten to bring the USB plug to charge our phone. One of the wait staff in the restaurant was kind enough to track one down for us to borrow.

We stayed in a large Queen room facing the front of the property. It had a walk-out to a shared balcony. Unfortunately, the closing mechanisms for this door were hook and eye latches that were mostly broken and the door didn't close properly. I placed a wing chair in front of the door although this was hardly going to prevent any intruders. Also, the shower temperature fluctuated between hot and cold quite a bit. The toilet didn't always flush the first time. Likely a result of old plumbing. We've stayed at all of the other older Vintage hotels but didn't experience the same issues with the room

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you "Lia306090" for joining us at The Charles Hotel.

I am thrilled that the service provided by our team was top notch! I will happily pass along your kind comments to them.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the property, it is truly appreciated. I am pleased to say that a maintenance plan is in place for the exterior and the interior concerns have already been completed.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 5, 2018

Dining was fabulous - the food was outstanding! Our room was very nice, we had a couple of blips with the room but the staff took care of it immediately! Service and attention was top notch! Would absolutely recommend anyone to enjoy this experience so close to shops and winery's! Loved it!

Room Tip: Bed size and stairs! be sure you can climb
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple