“Great place for lunch or baked goods but expensive”
Review of The Pie Plate

The Pie Plate
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed August 14, 2018

Virgil is midway between the Skyway and Niagara on the lake and the Pie Plate is a small place just in the centre of town. It is busy for lunch and we enjoyed a pizza and 2 side salads for lunch. Their baked goods are renowned locally but expensive and made on site from fresh ingredients. Service was good, the pizza special was tasty. Staff were friendly. Our bill with tap water and tip was $37.00.

We had been here a few years ago but prices were much less then.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed August 6, 2018

We always take out seasonal fruit pies from this place for our dessert, picnics and parties. The grape, apple and peach pies are simply divine. A new discovery is the carrot cake. For brunch or light lunch, the quiche and pizza are excellent. I would have given this place a 5 out of 5 if the dining space was larger for big groups. But I think they are trying to keep with the small town ambiance or cafe feel.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed July 30, 2018

Not quite sure how to feel about The Pie Plate, I love that it's local and very quaint. However, it was pretty expensive for what we got. We just stopped by to grab some pastries from their bakery, we got a mini peach galette and a slice of cake — the total came to $13.50 which was a little more than I anticipated (they don't have prices displayed...)

The peach galette was really good because they source fruit from the area and it's peach season currently! The cake was coconut lemon with a cream cheese frosting, it was pretty mediocre, didn't really stand out.

Reviewed July 19, 2018

I hate to give a bad review to a local place, but I feel the prices for this place are ridiculous for what you get. Our server was nice and friendly, and the food was decent, albeit overpriced. I ordered a pulled pork taco to bring home to my husband - and for $8 I got a 4 inch taco shell with about 2 tbsp. of pork and 3 small squares of pineapple in it. I wish I'd taken a picture of it, as it was absolutely ridiculous. Maybe they thought I wouldn't open the box?? He said it wasn't even good. The bakery looked really nice, but I wouldn't recommend it here. The parking is a problem and the prices are not in line with what you get. There are much better options in Virgil and NOTL, try directly across the street???? Won't be back.

1  Thank ideal21
Reviewed July 17, 2018

Date of Visit: Sunday, July 15th, 2018. 3:00 PM

The Pie Plate is a great stop when you are in Niagara-On-The-Lake. This place is a cute little eatery inside an old house. It has great light meals: pizzas, sandwiches, tacos, etc that are quite yummy.
The food is perfect for a light lunch after a day of visiting markets, breweries, and shops nearby.
I have never had a meal here that I didn't enjoy, or that left me feeling very full. The portions are perfect.

They also have a bakery (hence the name "PIE PLATE") where they make some amazing baked goods - pies, cookies, tarts, brownies, and cakes. These are always delicious, and worth bringing home.

Today, we had an avacado & Turkey sandwich on rustic bread, and fish tacos.
The meals were great, and tasty - my only concern was the rustic bread was a tad chewy and difficult to eat - but Tasted great.
The Tacos were spectacular.

The service is always very good. Friendly and helpful.
The prices (listed in photo) are very reasonable.

You will want to buy some baked goods - either for dessert after your meal, or for later at home.

Travel Tips:
1) Check out their specials chalk board for other menu items - we didnt and there were some amazing items listed.
2) During peak PEACH season (august), they have had a peach pizza - I highly recommend this- it is amazing.
3) Baked goods: Bring a nice cooler bag so you can bring home a pie, or tarts, or other decadent sweets. Their baked goods are amazing.