“Too Many Rules...Cuz It's All About The Money Honey!”

A1 Sweets & Restaurants
Ranked #104 of 518 Restaurants in Oakville
Description: We offer catering for weddings, Birthday parties, family gathering , religious events, corporate events etc. Spices which we use such as coriander, cumin , cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, red chilli powder, turmeric and mustard are regularly used in Punjabi cuisine.
Reviewed December 15, 2016

My girlfriend and I purchased food and drink from this place a couple of days ago at my suggestion. The last time I visited this place was 3 years ago...so I suspect that there has been a change in business ownership, philosophy, or both in this intervening period. I wish I had not suggested this place. Half way through making an order for two thali combos I noticed a posted sign that stated that thali orders were for takeout only. As I was making the order I did not sincerely believe that eating inside their dining area would pose a problem as I trusted that human compassion and reason would prevail in the end. As I was soon to find out, my trust and belief in positive human nature was sorely misplaced in regards to the ownership and staff at this place.
After we had received our order, I politely asked if my girlfriend and I would be allowed to eat in their dining area. The answer to my inquiry was no. I responded by politely informing them that in business, rules need to be flexible as dictated by the situations and the people involved, and would they please reconsider. They were not willing to back down from their rule. In response, I informed them that I would not be purchasing anything from them in the future. This knowledge didn't seem to bother them at all. In fact, I now believe that they don't really care about their customers--it's only about the money. This situation is unfortunate because my girlfriend and I are from out of town...not from Oakville at all...so we had no warm place to eat our takeout on a cold winter's night. And while I respect the fact that they have rules and recognize my own responsibility in this situation, the fact is that we had to eat in my car on a cold winter's night which was not nice at all. Really, their thali rule is about money. A thali combo costs $8.99 and is considered worthy of only being takeout, while a more expensive buffet meal costs $11.99 per person which allows you to eat inside their dining area. Why not just allow ALL of your customers ALL of the time to use your dining area? You CANNOT impose rules that convey first class and second class customers in this country, you just can't. But I guess it was worth annoying me and providing me with a lousy customer service experience just for the sake of imposing your rules? In business, ALL customers must feel that their orders are equally valuable to you. Please change your rules or more customers like me will go elsewhere. There are MANY competitors out there in regards to Indian food and drink. And if you don't change your rules, the marketplace will take care of you, be sure of that!

6  Thank HikerDude999

Reviewed December 6, 2016 via mobile

We visited this restaurant several times for typical Indian food during my trip from the UK.

The 4 P's of Marketing were all evident:

P= Product, Simply succulent!
P= Pricing, Competitively priced
P= Placement, Well located
P= People, Prompt service with a smile!

Highly recommended!

Reviewed November 27, 2016

Been here a few times for take-out and have been extremely impressed by the amazing dishes which are all vegetarian party in our mouth. Priced very reasonably and really impressive menu selection. Portions really good. The only complaint would be the service staff not very friendly. Maybe a bit of customer service training would be beneficial. We will be back for these amazing Indian dishes.

1  Thank Manon R
Reviewed October 24, 2016

From the time that A1 has stopped serving thali in the restaurant, we have been picking up takeaways as we do not prefer eating at buffets. Secondly then what they stopped was combining thalis. If we pick up 3 or 4 thalis, we would prefer to have them in bigger container, A1 will only serve in the regular one person container. It is such a waste, specially because we want all the 4 thalis to be the same.

Anyways, the staff is almost always kind and courteous. The owner lady seems a bit rushed, but she is good regardless and will try to meet the customers needs and is always concerned about customers.

The food is good, some of the dishes are too oily so we avoid them. But their Palak Paneer, Malai Kofta, Shahi Paneer and Chole is consistently good. We always take a mixture of naans and rotis. Rotis are always good and naan fluffy and soft. Their rice is on the greasy side.

Have tried their Fav-Bhaaji (not so good as they put Pumpkin, which is not typical in Bombay). Their Chole Chaat and Kachoris is always good as well and worth a try.

Recommend this place for good Indian Vegetarian food.

Reviewed September 7, 2016

I've only ever bought their samosas and pakora there but they are the best in town. I usually pick up a large order and bring them to parties. They are always a favourite!!!

1  Thank Karen m