“Great kids menu. Great ambiance. Great selection of beers.”

Hunter's Public House Restaurant
Ranked #100 of 2,884 Restaurants in Ottawa
Reviewed 19 September 2017

I took my kindergarten-aged daughter here the first week of school as her start at school was delayed.

I ordered a beer and an order of wings. She ordered Skye's Platter from the kids menu.

My wings were awesome. I ordered them with hot sauce on the side. The wings were nice and crispy and pretty large. The hot sauce appeared to be Frank's Red Hot. The wings came with carrot and celery sticks and sour cream on the side. Many restaurants don't even provide this these days.

My daughter's dish looked awesome and she loved it. It had slices of pepperoni, carrots and celery sticks, homemade apple sauce, Hunter's famous corned beef, tortilla chips, sliced cucumbers, cheese curds, and cherry tomatoes. It was a great variety of colds finger foods. She loved the apple sauce. I got to help her finish some of it too. I wish they had an adult's version of this on the menu. I love charcuterie.

All kids' menu items also include a drink and a bowl of ice cream for dessert.

It is really clear that the owners of Hunter's are parents as they pay particular attention to their younger clients' needs.

1  Thank gregthebull

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Went here after a round of golf. We were four couples. We had called ahead for reservations, and upon arriving were led into a separate room. This room is open to the rest of the place, so you don't feel you're isolated. We were seated at a huge round table, which would actually seat 10 or 12. It was excellent as we could converse very well. The chairs are not comfortable as the backs are at a 90 degree. The beer selection is superb. Many, many varieties, including many craft beers. And, prices are very reasonable. Food is also very good. Dishes are well presented, interesting and good quality. On the down side – it took far too long for the food to be delivered, considering that the place was not full. The other negative – the acoustics (like many places) is bad. The verdict? We would go back, as the pluses far outweigh the few negatives.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

My daughter and I decided to check out Hunter's Public House for brunch as we'll be moving to the area in the near future. The atmosphere was great, eclectic tables and the trivial pursuit cards ensured a great time during the short wait for our food. Our server Amy was exceptionally polite and attentive; the food was fantastic! Excellent portions with a nice "home-cooked taste". Prices were beyond reasonable. The open mic performer had a beautiful voice which just added to the overall experience. I'll be happy to call Hunter's Public House my new local pub!

2  Thank Sherri Y
Reviewed 5 August 2017

First visit a recent weekday evening. Surprised to be told that all tables were reserved, however fortunately it was a nice evening, and we were shown to a booth on the patio.

Service was good - I thought; however after we left, we realized we had never been told about specials, neither beverage or food. I discovered daily specials only later after seeing them on Twitter. The server was pleasant.

Food average at best - no special flavours. We had pasta and a salad nicoise. The salad had no greens other than the green beans which were very very lemony. Likely the lack of greens was noted on the menu, I missed it. But having this salad with just potatoes, beans, hard boiled egg and fish was different. The pasta, again, nothing special.

Maybe if we lived within walking distance, we'd give it another try. Maybe.

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

We stumbled across this place and glad we did. All locally sourced food, fresh and unique menu. Service is top notch and it is reasonably priced. There was even a croconole board at our table which was fun!

1  Thank Ehloha