“Amazing!”
Review of Atelier

Atelier
Reserve with OpenTable
Atelier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$57 - US$65
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Carling
Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

Absolutely loved dining here..it is a true culinary experience! Cannot wait to go back and bring some friends.
Service was great too, I love to see servers have such an interest in food and wine.

1  Thank Christine3131
There are newer reviews for Atelier

Reviewed 6 March 2017

When I made the reservation the restaurant staff called me to warn me to be prepared for the full (3 hour) experience. They weren't kidding! Multiple courses, set menu with some variation allowed (my dining guest didn't like wild game so got something else). Each item is fantastically presented. Portions are, be necessity, small. Wine pairings were, as expected, excellent. Each is introduced by the sommelier. As there were three tables immediately adjacent to us, we heard him give essentially the same talk three times. I think it was getting a bit stale for him and sounded like a memorized rote talk rather than an informal education on wine pairings. Overall a great experience. Very pricey but in the end, good value for the $.

1  Thank CynicMike
Reviewed 1 March 2017

Our daughter and son-in-law took us out to their favourite Epicurean restaurant in Ottawa. They could not say enough about Atelier, but I was sceptical. I have dined at the Governor General's, worked during my University years at Montreal's Queen E 'The Beaver Club', so good luck to these millennials trying to surprise their Baby Boomer parents...We have been around...But surprised we were. Entering was challenging for me since I have MS, but irrespective, staff were more than obliging to help me up the few stairs at front and then seated us strategically so I had a small walk to the washroom if need be. Service was prompt, caring and well appreciated.

Now, for the dining experience ; we had the 'Taster' menu that included eight (8) small plates of gourmet eclectic cuisine, paired with an excellent Spanish Grenacha, and capped with expressos to end the wonderful night. Service was fast, never had to wait too long for the next plate, all plates were very well explained and artfully detailed. Oh, ..and tantilizingly delicious.

1  Thank zem-ilda
Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

This is the best part of Ottawa. If you ever have the opportunity to go there Atelier is a must. Every single dish is mind blowing. Worth the money to 100%. 2.5 hours of constant entertainment and incredible cuisine. The sommelier of this gem is a true talent of his profession. Got to see the BOH after we finished dinner- an excellent wrap of a truly amazing night out with my husband.

2  Thank EllinorKjellwall
Reviewed 19 February 2017

This was our eighth visit to Atelier since 2010, which apparently establishes us as official veterans. If you've read anything about the restaurant you should already understand that this is Ottawa's first class modern gastronomy mecca serving exclusively a 12-course blind tasting menu in a small but comfortable setting you may have difficulty finding (close to Ottawa's Little Italy but on a small street in an unmarked building).

We continue to return again and again to Atelier for many reasons. Yes, it is hands down Ottawa's best restaurant with national award standing (2012 and 2016 Canadian Culinary Champion Marc Lepine). In fact, now that we have children and only get to go out for a real splurge on rare occasions we still find it hard to go anywhere else. Every visit takes us somewhere new, and every visit improves upon the last. You can start your meal and think you've found the most amazing dish you have ever tasted on about course 3 or 4 and within minutes it will be eclipsed.

Last night we and our visiting guest from Calgary were blown away time after time and there is no doubt that Atelier is at the top of its game. In fact the overall menu progression is at its smoothest ever such that even though each course differs wildly from the last I don't find the experience jarring and I end each meal sated and in a state of euphoria.

For us the lynchpin of the experience are the pairings provided by Steve Robinson. Most are amazing, hard to find, exceptional value wines (fixed price pairings challenge a sommelier) not to mention some great shots of tequila, ales or sake that have popped up on a couple of menus. The food is magic in itself with 10+ intriguing flavours coming together in unexpected ways, but add Steve's pairings and it becomes sorcery.

So if you live in Ottawa and are even mildly interested, book a table now. If you plan to come to town for Canada's 150th or anytime in the future make sure your plans include Atelier. It's reason enough for the visit.

1  Thank ottawafoodies