“Great value, owners, location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast

Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #40 of 53 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Mississauga
“Great value, owners, location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

For the price, you can't get any better for business around Carleton university. The owners seem very considerate and honest, and are doing their best to accomodate guests in their own home. The rooms are clean, well equipped with wifi, TV (in the atlantic atleast), and all the required linens. People who are not reviewing the stay well are simply not doing their research on what they are getting in this B&B. The personal website of Sunnyside provides the required information and you can call them with any questions (also, reservations are much cheaper through them than any third party websites). I haven't noticed any hygiene or mold issues as others have complained about, and the breakfast is very healthy/tasty.

Unlike hotels, consideration on part of both the owners and the guests will maximize the enjoyability of your stay. It's their house afterall, and as a landlord I can appreciate what it's like to have to deal with unappreciative or disrespectful tenants. They are not getting rich off the prices they charge (Expedia adds a ridiculous amount of overhead to the costs if you book with them, so that money isn't seen by the B&B), so understand that cancellations are a much larger loss than with hotels.

I stayed with my girlfriend for a weekend and as reasonable, appreciative young adults we loved this accomodation. I'd come back just for the fresh made muffins every morning!

Room Tip: Read their website and call them to ask for specifics concerning the rooms so you don't get surp...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jason H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at Sunnyside near the end of July. Since we were there for a wedding we needed time to get ready and the hosts were more than accommodating in letting us check in extra early into both of our rooms. The place was tidy and clean and was exactly what we needed for a relaxing couple days in town. The food was delicious (and home made, i might add) and was even served at a time we had requested. The hosts gave us maps and even allowed use of a computer to plan out our daytime excursion into the city. They were kind, friendly, and made absolutely sure that we had everything we needed to be comfortable in our rooms. The rooms themselves (mine was Pacific, her's was Atlantic) were spacious and well kept. The beds were clean and very very comfortable, which was a welcome luxury after a busy day. The rooms were very well priced compared to getting a hotel room. We will definitely be staying here should we come back to Ottawa, so we'll be sure to book ahead and make sure we can get the rooms!

Room Tip: Pacific room is slightly larger than Atlantic, but they are both spacious.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim P
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I stayed here roughly a month ago and all I have to say is to avoid this Bed and Breakfast at all costs. The owners are completely disrespectful as I overheard them talk negative things about me after providing "excellent customer service". I stayed at the "Pacific Room" and honestly, the picture is quite deceiving as the basement (yes, basement), smelled musky, with a slight unpleasant odor. Also, you could see what looks like mold around the basement room as well. The bathroom was okay, but honestly if anything the washroom looks better than the actual suite. If you would like to go to Ottawa for a vacation, do not stay at this bed and breakfast because you are not going to have a pleasurable vacation. I should have paid extra money to stay at a hotel. Just as a warning, please find other bed and breakfasts as I'm sure there are plenty in Ottawa that have great service, nice rooms, and honest hosts. The only good thing about this Bed and Breakfast is that it has good food. But so does Tim Hortons.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank Confidential_Person

Travellers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I booked two rooms for several nights: one for me and my two teenage daughters, and one for my cousin and her husband. When we arrived the owner swiped my credit card in advance for all the charges. The room for me and my two daughters was in the basement and smelled musty; it was cramped and hardly large enough for three people plus luggage. The bathroom had an extremely low ceiling; the mirror was on the floor; the shower head was so low that my 5'7" daughter had to crouch down to be in the spray; and by the time I got to the shower it had turned to a dribble and I had to use a glass to collect water to rinse off the soap. It was late at night and we did not want to disturb the owner to complain, but the next morning we politely said that the rooms were not suitable for our needs and we were going to go somewhere else.

I asked to be credited back for the nights we were not staying; I didn't even ask for my money back for the horrible experience in the bathroom. The owner insisted on keeping my money. After arguing back and forth I left the room in tears; my cousin continued to negotiate. The deal we agreed to was that the owner would credit back the nights we did not stay , and I would not write a review on Trip Advisor or anywhere else.

I am writing now because I just discovered (reviewing old Visa bills) that the owner reneged on the agreement and charged me $702.36. We only stayed one night, two rooms. I have witnesses and the bill to prove it all.

The owners were dishonest in describing the quality of the rooms over the phone; they were dishonest in charging us full price for a dysfunctional bathroom; and completely dishonest in charging us for the unused nights after telling us they would credit them back. Buyer beware. I have never had such a distasteful experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank svkris
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

Very comfortable. Downtown yet far enough South to avoid the cores craziness.

I really liked the layout and had the place to myself!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank mia_reviewer
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

Very basic basement room with stark furnishing -nice people but defintely overpriced for what is offered

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank namescreen1234
Ferrara, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Quite neighbourhood, only few minutes bus from downtown. Fantastic breakfast with fresh baked scones and very nice and friendly hosts. What could we ask for more?

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple