“Interesting Restaurant that Deserves a Visit.”
Review of Play Food & Wine

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I was in Ottawa for business and went to Play. The menu has a wide variety of small dishes. I had the Pork Rillette, Tuna Tartare and the Chicken Confit.

Each dish was great although the Rillette was my favourite. I sat at the bar by the kitchen and talked a bit to the staff during the downtime. With their input I had the Oatmeal Cake which I recommend highly.

Overall with a Guiness and an espresso the bill was $60, tax in. I had plans of picking up a Beaver Tail later but 3 dishes + dessert there is more than enough.

The place was busy by 7:30 on a weekday so I would call ahead. Overall it is a place I would return to in the Nation's Capital......without the kids.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Really enjoyed sitting at the "kitchen table". (bar overlooking the tiny kitchen). Nice sized portions (not too big).

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I went here with a friend in January...after reading many solid reviews.
The place was packed...turned many people away at the door...while I was waiting for my friend. Great atmosphere...fantastic waiter- very knowledgable, offered great suggestions. Pretty much every dish was unique/ tasty...with perfect wine pairings. Steak dish was tops as was the pear salad. Trout was a little well done, not moist...but still good.
It is a great date restaurant or going out with friends.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

You have to give credit where credit is due; Stephen Beckta pulls it off again!

We have been many times to the restaurant on Nepean Street but this was our first visit to Play Food and Wine – and will certainly not be our last.

The restaurant is located in a great location in the Byward Market with tons of public parking nearby. Décor is modern and inviting (although we only saw the upper floor as there was a private function on the main floor). Seating is cozy but not cramped and I liked the use of the long tables that can seat 6 to 8 (we were a group of 5 and we were seated at one of the longer tables at the front of the restaurant). The service is what you come to expect at one of Beckta’s restaurants and the servers were friendly and knowledgeable about the menu (we actually had a lot of fun with our server – he had a great sense of humor).

The menu is set up with what they call “small plates” that are suitable for sharing and they recommend about three plates per guest as a full entre; less if you have an appetizer. The menu is interesting and it is actually pretty fun to decide as a table what you are going to share. The food is excellent quality, perfectly seasoned and the presentation is also top notch. Items that we had and would recommend are the hanger steak, braised rabbit, B.C. Cod and the beef tataki .

Overall an excellent evening out with colleagues and even with two bottles of Amarone, the bill was still well less than $500. An amazing value for the quality of food and service.

1  Thank Robert H
stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thanks for all of the kind words Robert H. I certainly appreciate all of the compliments, but I have to say that it's our staff that deserve all of the praise. They are an awesome bunch of folks who not only preform to the highest level on a daily basis, but have made many of the big decisions that have shaped Play into what it is today. I'm really happy you had such a good time. Hope you meet you in person on your next visit.

Cheers,

Steve Beckta

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Went for dinner based on Trip Advisor rating and had a great time. Excellent food and service, good wine selection and reasonable prices. Would highly recommend. Thought it was billed as tapas but dishes were 'normal' size for appies and mains. Imaginative menu with good variety.