“Real BBQ, like I've been hearing about for years, only minutes from Ottawa”
Review of D&S Southern Comfort BBQ - CLOSED

D&S Southern Comfort BBQ
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Barbeque like ottawa has never seen, till now.
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I've been hearing about D&S for some time through tripadvisor.com and other articles online and on magazines, finally I visited with my family and a visiting friend.

The restaurant is quite large, and seemed to have several regulars inside, as the other patrons who were clearly seated separately were chatting and joking back and forth. We were seated immediately and attended to by service staff.

The restaurant is clean and freshly decorated, I understand it has recently been renovated, and I could smell fresh paint. It is classy and suits the restaurant well. This is not a fine dining restaurant. This is for people who appreciate BBQ, and lots of it, like myself, and that's exactly what I got.

My wife and friend had the D&S Classic Burger and I had the Full Rack of St. Louis Style Ribs.

The burger was large and carried with it a large portion of fries. Although I did not try the burgers, my wife and friend both said it was the best burger they had ever eaten. I'll just have to believe them, but it did look really good...
The ribs were a style I had heard referred to as 'real BBQ', but had never had. First off, they were huge. Easily the largest full rack I've ever seen, and thick as well. They were very meaty and did not have the amount of fat sometimes found in ribs. The best thing about the ribs was that the flavour was found in the smoking of the ribs, and not because they had been slathered in lots of BBQ sauce. There was a sauce, a very good one, but it was applied as to not overpower the smokey flavour of the ribs, just as I had been told by BBQ gurus of the southern style of 'real BBQ'.

We rejected the notion of desert altogether as our appetites were completely satisfied.

The price was reasonable considering the quality and quantity of food we received (and consumed.) We did not consume any alcohol, but with soft drinks and the aforementioned meals our bill came out to a little over $60. Not bad...

I am rating this 5 stars not because it is a top-notch restaurant for hardcore foodies. The service is adequate and friendly, but you will not be pampered by a waiter who does not cater to your every needs. This place is worth 5 stars because it's probably the best BBQ your are going to eat outside of the southern US, and for a very reasonable price.

1  Thank sneaky291

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We love it. They cater to our allergies and are so friendly. Love the new decor and the warmth of the place.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Service was prompt and friendly. Nacho's (once again) were delicious. This time we had the chicken on them. I still prefer the beef with the nacho's but we wanted to give this option a try. Can't lose either way. One kid had a burger, the other had pizza. Fresh cut fries made the meal even better.
My wife had the Caesar wrap and I (once again) had the beef ribs (why mess with perfection). The vegetables that came with the ribs were worth the price alone. I don't know what they've done to their cole slaw but it was better than the last time. Our server mentioned that they had perfected it...both creamy and vinegary (is that a word?). Whatever. It was delicious. Kids loved their ice cream. I quite enjoyed the smokey chocolate cheese cake. Had a quick chat with the owner as we were leaving. He's there to talk to customers and will listen - good or bad. Well worth the drive. Doesn't disappoint.

1  Thank Jonnybakes
Reviewed 9 February 2012

What a treat to be served home-made comfort food! My husband and I rarely eat out as we usually leave the restaurant feeling we could have made the meal ourselves as good as the restaurant and for less cost. So it was great to find a restaurant that didn't leave us feeling this way. D&S Southern Comfort BBQ was a true Southern BBQ experience that was prepared the authentic way (the right equipment and the time required to achieve the taste and texture) and side dishes made with fresh home-made ingredients. The atmosphere was friendly, we weren't rushed, but rather enjoyed our time out from the house were able to savor the food. Service was excellent.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

One would think that a vegetarian should not go to a restaurant that specializes in barbecue but the staff of D&S are wonderfully accomodating. The fish & chips are the best I have had.
There are excellent salads, quesadillas, pastas and salmon. The best feature is the atmosphere of being a nearby establishment that caters to snowmobilers, large groups, lunch drop ins and informal dinners. It will become our "local."