“Why wait for Ribfest?” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #302 of 2,695 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Canadian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Barbeque like ottawa has never seen, till now.
“Why wait for Ribfest?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

My wife and I went to D&S based on the recommendation of a friend. We had never heard of it before, and thought we'd give it a try (even though it was a bit far for us). The meal was very good. They're sauces are great. The portions were very generous and the price was quite reasonable. The service was a bit slow, but can be excused since we arrived right after they had gotten slammed by a couple of bus loads. The owner took some extra time at the end to sit with us and see how are experience was. We'll certainly go back the next time we're in the mood for BBQ. And would recommend D&S to anybody that likes food from the grill. Why wait for Ribfest?

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sande E

Ottawa, Canada
“Great food, good service...give it a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I've seen the food stand during Winterlude for the past 2 years and finally figured out they also had a restaurant. I am a BBQ/smoke fan and have been dabbling in it for a couple of years now.

After reading many reviews, I wasn't sure I could put my family through a potentially long wait or bad service (as other reviewer had noted). We decided to go for dinner on Sunday and I'm glad I decided to try this place because the food is excellent.

The restaurant was half full and we got our food within a half hour. The server was new but friendly and eager to find answers for us if she did not know. So the previous reviews of long waits or slow service, I saw none of that. In fact, I was surprised how many wait staff were there. The owner (I think) came in at one point to ask the wait staff how they were coping, etc. It appeared to me that service levels were being more closely monitored.

Favourites are: pulled pork...best I've had (been to a dozen Ribfests BTW), the vegetables (yes, I'm talking about em!) were unique and unbelievable, Beef ribs were huge with a moderate amount of meat and little grizzle ( a bit pricy though), the Creole sauce (dryer than a Sweet and Sticky sauce but not as dry as a Memphis rub) has to be one of my all time favourites.

I had ordered "Dave's platter" so I could sample everything so here are those reviews:
St. Louis ribs - only had two because I was so stuffed...well cooked with visible smoke ring. Nice and tender...again I preferred the Creole to the sweet & sticky sauce.

Baked Beans - these are pork and beans in a dark malases sauce that is too sweet for my liking but it is was not mis-cooked, It tasted very similar to my own family's recipe.

Corn Bread - Delicious but it is the sweet variety and not the gritty kind (too bad).

Chocolate cheesecake - I hate cheesecake but I tried some of my wife's and ended up sharing it. It had a dryer consistency than the regular kind, layer of chocolate on top with strawberry coulis...very very good

For you families...the highchairs were clean, we were offered crayons and very good placemats (puzzles, word searches, etc), good kids menu, cups with lids!!!

Give em a try, you won't be disapointed.

2 Thank Naomi P
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent creole ribs. Large order prepared quickly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Working Saturday afternoon and my co-workers agreed that some southern bbq was in order. We placed a rather large take-out order of ribs and burgers for 6 people. To our surprise the employee on the phone said the order would only take 15 minutes or so. The order took 20 minutes and the food was back at the office after a round trip drive of 40 kms... still warm.
The creole ribs were excellent with the side of fries and cornbread. Not a single complaint from any of my co-workers regarding their order. (and there are some real critics).
I am looking forward to actually going there someday for myself.

2 Thank Brian M
Ottawa, Canada
“You DON'T Gotta Eat Here...especially not twice!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

After seeing this restaurant featured on the Food Network's "You Gotta Eat Here", my husband and I decided to give it a try. We were very excited to eat some REAL southern bbq. It was a Friday night and we were expecting it to be a hopping place with busy atmosphere but the restaurant looked empty when we got there...maybe 25 people in a place that seats something like 250? With only 25 customers on the go, you'd think that the service would be impeccable...it wasn't. After sitting for about 15 minutes, our waitress greeted us and took our drink and appetizer order. Potato skins were really good, so the anticipation of dinner was building and we couldn't wait to dig in. But wait we did...Our waitress took our food order and before sending it in to the kitchen, went and took the orders of 2 more tables! Meanwhile we had to ask for re-fills and sat with empty glasses for a good 15 minutes. She cleared the appetizer plates from our table and dropped sour cream ALL over the floor next to us...this didn't get cleaned up. It was a good 40 minutes before we got our food and it was soooo not worth the wait. I ordered the Rib platter...sweet and smokey sauce tasted like liquid smoke, ribs were tough, beef ribs had barely any meat on them (I ended up bringing them home for my dog!) Baked beans were way too sweet, coleslaw was medeocre at best (my grandmother's is better). My hubby had a smoked chicken club which he said was very dry. He loved the fries though...but this is a smokehouse, not a chip truck! We asked to take home the leftovers and the waitress brought out a styrofoam box and told us to pack it ourselves, that it would be easier. Easier for me, a customer to get my hands dirty than her, a waitress...(not surprising considering she still hasn't cleaned up the sour cream that she dropped). Needless to say, our waitress was rude and the food was a disappointment BUT on our drive home we agreed to give it a second chance...maybe they just weren't having a good night.

SOOO I convinced my family to give it a try for my sister's 18th birthday dinner. The 8 of us were seated and a highchair was provided for my 16-month-old son. The highchair was F-I-L-T-H-Y! We hadn't been greeted by our waitress yet so we asked a waiter from another section to come clean or replace the chair. He brought a new chair...that just as dirty lol. My mom politely asked that he wipe it down with a cloth. Thank you, kind sir, for doing so. We were greeted by our waitress, who was, yup...the same darn waitress my husband and I had a week prior! I thought, maybe she was just having a bad night last Friday as well....I thought wrong. Drink orders were taken...it was10 minutes before they made it to the table and she forgot 2 of them...another 5 minutes for those. Then we sat...and we waited....and glasses got empty and orders weren't taken. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there was a whole 1/2 hour period when our waitress didn't come by our table at all! When she was finally ready to take our food orders, we skipped the appetizers and went straight for main courses. Everyone ordered something different - pulled pork, ribs, brisket, chicken...classic Southern fare. My son has an allergy so I asked the waitress to consult with the chef about the chicken fingers. She proceeded to argue with me about whether or not there may be dairy in them. Rather than just ask the chef herself; very unprofessional. While most restaurants are not able to guarantee an allergen-free environment, all of them ar able to provide a list of ingredients. That is all I wanted...but I got attitude instead. I was not the only one to get attitude either, my dad asked for a pitcher of ice tea for the table and she replied (and I quote) "Just hold on a sec" as she waved her finger at him! The food finally came and 3 out of 8orders were wrong...either the wrong bbq sauce, wrong side dishes (like beans instead of cornbread). There was no butter or ketchup on the table, replacements for incorrect orders took WAY too long...and overall there were alot of LONG faces at the table. But atleast there was live entertainment - a drunk (yes DRUNK) woman wearing a D&S t-shirt, stumbling around the restaurant...O-M-G!

Dear John Catucci of the Food Network:
You lied! I know that you are not a food critic or even a foodie for that matter...but you were charming and funny and I listened to you. I and rrrreeeeaaalllly wanted to like this place...but I didn't and neither did any of the other people I know who have visited D&S because of you. Guy Fieri would tear this place apart.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank J_FoodLover_11
Ottawa
“What a great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Heard about this restaurant on "Ya Gotta Eat Here". Went last night for my 62nd birthday with family.

The food was absolutely delicious.

The staff was amazing. Such nice people. They kept the grandchildren amused the whole time. We were strangers but treated like family.

Can't say enough good things about this place.

Great food, great people, what more can you want!

Oh, special note , the cheesecake alone is worth the trip.

3 Thank DeefromOttawa