“A TRUE top ten restaurant”
Review of Black Cat Bistro - CLOSED

Black Cat Bistro
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Black Cat Bistro is always an AMAZING time. We've been to this restaurant three times now, and each time outdoes the previous visit. It was a night of large parties: we were 6 for dinner, and seated next to us was a table of 12 and another table of 10. This had no effect on the quality or timeliness of our meal. Our server was attentive and well-informed, and made some spot-on suggestions for wine that moved our dinner from great to sensational. The octopus appetizer was a giant hit - fresh and perfectly cooked. Our table was split between the scallops and steak frites for dinner - both were sublime (the frites especially). Dessert was fantastic: the hazelnut financier was truly memorable, and the cheese plate was so good that we ordered another one. Double cheese plate. That's right. We stayed for almost 4 hours and were never once asked to hurry along or reminded of a second seating waiting for our table. If you want a wonderful unhurried evening full of fun, great food, and inspired wine - then this is your spot.

4  Thank MayCanada

Reviewed 9 October 2011

My spouse and I went here for a lovely evening meal as a gift in return to a favour we had done for someone else. What a nice treat! This restaurant is located in the "Little Italy" part of Ottawa on Preston Street. There are lots of choices for restaurants along Preston Street, lots of them are Italian restaurants and many of them very good.
Our meal was very tastey, and the setting is lovely, value is pretty good too. Just trying to figure out what the Bling is that makes this rated so high.
It was very good, but not that memorable obviously.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

the food is inventive not fussy, and oh so yummy
the wine is delicious not pretentious
the atmosphere is joyous not stuffy
don't hold back, have a big night, enjoy!

1  Thank james j
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We had a group dinner here last week. The food was very good and quite creative (popcorn corn soup really does have popcorn on top!). It takes a long time for them to prepare the food (it even says so on the menu), so expect that this will be most of your evening. Our waitress was very nice. The decor was modern and quite nice. That said, I don't know that it was worth the price -- it cost us over $80 for 2 mains, 1 appetizer and 1 dessert (no drinks) without taking into account the tip.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

The Black Cat has been around for a long time, since the 80s. It is well known for many restaurateurs living in Ottawa. It has been reincarnated into many lives and this one is the best so far. I always feel like I am getting a real dinning out experience. The food is creative, blending unique flavors that I would of never thought of and they use a lot of local and seasonal ingredients which I support and try to do myself. I always feel like I am treated extra well and am amazed at the knowledge of the servers about food and wine. It is one of my favorites and I would recommend it to anyone who likes good food, wine and company. Try the bison carpaccio, steak frites is a must and don't miss out on the famous Black Cat Burgers.

2  Thank Maxine U