“The king and queen in a castle”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The king and queen in a castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night before a weeklong meeting at the Westin kitty corner across the street. We booked on booking.com and got a great price on a King room. The room was elegantly but simply furnished and the very high ceilings were glorious. The bed was extremely comfortable and had marvelous pillows. We had buffet breakfast in the hotel, and in fact we came back to the Chateau Laurier several times during our week at the Westin, because the cold breakfast buffet at the Chateau was cheaper than at the Westin and we loved the high ceilings and views of Parliment. We were withing walking distance of so many sights--the Byward Market, the National Gallery of Art, the Musuem of Civilization, and Parliment which we enjoyed watching the House of Commons from the gallery and even though we are from the States, it was interesting. So glad we were able to stay here. Did not like that we couldn't use internet without being gouged. All the members of the staff that we met were extraordinarily kind and helpful.

1 Thank Mary J
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alliston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Lovely hotel downtown Ottawa. Close to Byward Market and the Rideau mall. I had booked a King bed but was told none were available. Was given a small room on the 2nd floor which overlooked a flat gravel roof and nothing else (233). I called down to the front desk and asked for a better view. I was moved down to the first floor but in the turret which had 2 windows, one overlooked the monument and the other the parliament buildings. Much better view but the room was even smaller if possible. It fit a queen size bed, a desk, a chair and a dresser with a big flat screen tv. It also had a huge walk in closet. If it wasn't for the really high ceilings, this place would be claustrophobic. The bathroom was also tiny and I had to walk around the toilet to get to the sink. The only way the door would stay closed was to lock it. Nice glass door on the shower but it was still dark in there and the water drained all over the bathroom floor. Water pressure was great. Shower amenities were good although I didn't like the smell of the moisturizer.

The bed was really comfortable with plenty of comfortable pillows. Bathrobes in the bathroom were a lovely touch and much appreciated. These days, charging extra for internet is just a price gouge and unnecessary.

The lobby is beautiful and front desk staff very friendly and helpful.

I ate dinner at the W restaurant and although it was pricey, the food was good and the service excellent.

This is the Fairmont Chateau Laurier and you are paying for the luxury of staying in a top class, historic hotel in the middle of all the action. I thought the Lord Elgin at half the price was just as good and the rooms were bigger. I heard the Laurier's King rooms are bigger but I didn't get a chance to see them.

Lovely stay, glad I did it, will only stay again if I get a great deal. Would like to try the Westin next.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the monument or parliament buildings. Also, there are conference rooms on the first...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this review, 9 April 2012

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I have a new love for these hotels. I am a sucker for character and detail. I find that modern hotels are often minimalist, which is great also, but I love the character of older buildings. The Fairmont Chateau Laurier is a feast for the eyes! I had the pleasure of being in a number of the conference facilities, all were clean and accommodating. I did find the ballroom to be a smidge on the chilly side; better to be a bit cool than hot though! My room overlooked the Rideau Canal and the Parliament! I loved the location to amenities, I found a drug store across the road along with LOTS of food choices in the area. I did not eat at the hotel at all, the weather was +26C so the patio dining in the nearby restaurants was too tempting. My room was clean, VERY clean. The bed was a dream come true. The room I was in had a huge closet and a nice big TV. My room was a long way from the elevator, so I became well acquainted with the stairs. I truly found this hotel to be incredibly clean. The staff were so kind and helpful, even at 2am. Internet is free if you join the Presidents Club. I saw a number of rooms during my stay, as my co-workers were all staying there also. All the rooms were unique and quite lovely. I cannot wait to go back!

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have many times stayed at the Chateau Laurier. This time, I must say, I got the room of my dreams -- for comfort, space and truly spectacular view it deserves a 6 on a scale of 5. It was like winning the lottery. That said, the Fairmont chain does have a taste for high prices, as in the exorbitant $16 fee for internet access (unless you are on the "Gold" floor, in which case you are paying for your internet in a different way). Naturally one does not use the phones, another profit centre for Fairmont. Fortunately the hotel's excellent location is still free, which allows one to practise freedom from taxis for downtown offices.

My room rating below reflects my impression of all the rooms taken together, and I have stayed in all kinds here.

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Had dinner in our room (was delicious but overpriced as all hotels are) and breakfast at the hotel as well. Both were very good. Service was friendly and professional.

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

This is a truly beautiful hotel that has been very well preserved. The lobby is gorgeous and the staff friendly. We had a standard room on the 2nd floor and while it was small by contemporary standards, we found it charming with its high ceilings and view of the Rideau canal. Pay attention to the construction details in the common areas - this hotel was built in age of opulence - but it survived the Great Depression, World War II and was witness to many exciting events in history. The hotel celebrates its 100th anniversary this year and it is worthwhile to take a few minutes to look at the photos of its history in the common areas.

We very much enjoyed Zoe's lounge - a most restful and comfortable place to have a drink, light meal or tea. We also tried Wilfrid's, where the cuisine is higher end and the service polished, yet friendly. This restaurant is located right next to the parliament buildings and thus offers a beautiful view. We were happy to note a large selection of reasonably priced Ontario wines. Finally, we opted for a continental breakfast in our room. The service was prompt, the coffee hot and the croissants excellent. We are happy to note that thus far, among the Fairmont hotels we have visited, only the Queen Elizabeth disappoints with its cuisine.

A small detail that we feel worth mentioning - many hotels have terrible water pressure and thus showers are no more satisfying than a walk in the rain. This hotel is an exception. My husband was so impressed, he noted the type of shower head in the hope of finding the same type to install in our home.

Another small detail we really liked - the windows open and the air was fresh.

On the negative side, the furniture in our room was a tad tired and there was a bit of peeling wallpaper next to the bathroom door. However, this was a small matter that could easily be overlooked. We wish hotels would not use those bright, white, energy-saving bulbs, though. We understand about saving energy and that's all good, but the type of light one gets from those bulbs is atrocious. Switch to the one that give a natural light and tome down the wattage. It's a bedroom, not an operating theater.

Room Tip: The hotel clearly categorizes rooms for different tastes - be sure to check the options to find a go...
2 Thank dondedieu
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for work for the last 1o days and was very happy with it overall... The property is beautiful, the prices at the bar a little expensive considering you can walk 200m and get 25% cheaper, but overall I loved the place

Stayed March 2012