See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Work trip booked here. 10 people in two rooms. Found bed bugs and cockroaches in three of the rooms. They were very dismissive at the front desk. Fully booked so they would not move us. We had pre-paid so they wanted us to leave so they could re-rent the rooms for the busy weekend. Very rude when trying to speak with them on the phone. Worst place I have ever stayed. Avoid.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2018

The best thing about this motel, for our short, visit was the receptionist (Gassira) who gave my wife and I a cheery greeting and a complementary car parking ticket even though we arrived far too early to check-in. Gassira maintained a very pleasant disposition throughout our stay. She is a credit to the Econo Lodge chain.

The motel itself is well-passed its sell by date! Very VERY eh... ‘tired looking’.

Our room (263) overlooked the main / busy / noisy road - even though we had requested a 'quiet' area - we do understand that requests are not guaranteed. The central ceiling light did not work and the bedside lampshade was falling apart - please see photograph. Conglomerations of loose electrical wiring make us wonder what H & S standards exist in the area! The AC was noisy. There was no wardrobe, just a few coat hooks. The plug in the bath tub was ineffective and the water flow in the basin extremely fierce with little / difficult control.

The Wi-Fi (included in the room price) was of good speed and the Continental Breakfast was reasonable, although the dining area lacked sufficient seating for the number of guests. The location of this property is most excellent being a short walk to Parliament Hill and other attractions.

Despite the good points quoted, the run-down condition of this establishment (our room, at least) means that I can only offer a 2/5 rating.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2018

Ok, let’s start with the positive. The room was large enough for the three of us staying, it was quiet, and all the room facilities worked ok.
Now the location, the hotel is just a 15 minute walk from the Parliament area in Ottawa city centre, however the walk along Rideau Road is not very pleasent as the area has a large number of homeless and alcoholics on the street. I never felt threatened as they seem to keep themselves to themselves, but be aware.
My issues with this hotel centre around the breakfast room. The hotel is used to accommodate refugees, I spoke with a family from Egypt who had been there over a month. They were all fine, quite friendly, some did not speak English, but not a problem. However I booked into a hotel not a refugee centre. Also there are a number of homeless people who also have been given accommodation, again no problem, however sitting down to what is a very average breakfast looking at a elderly man wearing dirty shorts with his clostremy bag hanging out is not what I want to see.
For me the hotel needs to make a decision, it’s a hotel or accommodation for refugees and the homeless, it can’t be both.
Finally the Indian lady who runs the breakfast room during the week is rude and extremely unhelpful.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, if your tempted by the low price be aware.

Room tip: Go somewhere else
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2018

The staff were very nice folks and checked with us the over all review of our stay and if were comfortable. The room and bathroom was clean and OK for this price. We had a fridge, coffee maker in the room. The location was very central to Byward Market in Ottawa. the breakfast was great!!
the only thing that turned us off was the stained sheet on one of the bed!!

Room tip: All rooms I take it are really quiet and you can park your car outside in the parking. Air conditioning does make noise.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2018

On a hot Friday afternoon in August, tired we finally got to our room and my wife immediately noticed a pungent odor! It was not sustainable and we actually had to get some Lysol disinfectant to help get rid of it! That started the cadence of this unpleasant stay! The Wi-Fi speed was pathethically SLOW and we needed to reboot a lot. Bed was a small queen (no kings available). Breakfast was a joke as the room was overcrowded and supplies were lacking so you could NOT enjoy breakfast and not even coffee! Shabby, pungent odor in room, lousy breakfast! GO ELSEWHERE NOT WORTH the $106!

Room tip: Stay elsewhere!
Date of stay: August 2018