“Location Great...Rooms not bad...there are better places in Ottawa to stay...”
Review of Novotel Ottawa

Novotel Ottawa
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 8 February 2012

First the positive: This is a modern hotel in a perfect location. The room price is reasonable. Its right across the road from the Rideau shopping center, about a 2 min walk to the Byward Market and 5 min walk to the Rideau Canal and Parliament.

However, I have seen reviews on Tripadvisor with the exact same issues we had on our last stay and it is crazy that nothing has been done to improve. The renovations of the front lobby are nice but guests doesn’t stay in the lobby, they stay in their rooms.

I travelled with my family and we are ALL frequent travelers both for business and leisure (across Canada/States/Mexico and Europe), and in all my travels and stays a hotel have I been in a position as ridiculous as I was in at Novotel Ottawa Hotel.

Travelled my father, sister and her husband. We reserved 2 suites. I stayed in one room on the hide a bed, my father had the King size bedroom. Fortunately, we were given the suite we had, it had a sliding door to close off the bedroom and we had an actual door and lock on the bathroom, so there was a sense of privacy. My sister and her husband stayed one floor up, in a smaller suite (small price per night) open concept and no bathroom door.

We had a suites so thought it would have everything we would need, hair dryer, couch (hide-a-bed) ,tv, office desk – but for some no explained reason, there was no bureau in our room. No where to put our clothes besides the small wardrobe in the livingroom when you first come into the room (and I am not going to hand up all my cloths). I am also not going to leave all my clothes in the suitcase on the floor (there wasn't even a metal suitcase stand to place the suitcase on) , so as to not have to bend down each time or sit on the floor to go through my suitcase, as result all our clothes were on the office desk, on the bed, the chairs and coffee table.
The next day my father spoke to an agent at the front desk and explained the situation to him, his comment "well this is more of a hotel for business men" He was insulted. As he habeend in business for over 30 years and never heard of such a thing. The front desk manager came out and acknowledged the crazy comment and stated he could move us to another room that had a bureau. Issues: 1) I am not going to move a room 2) why can’t they move a bureau from this” other” room to my room? 3) Why don’t all rooms have a bureau?

As a business traveler, personally, it makes travelling so much more enjoyable when you can unpack and make your room a haven from the stress and chaos of the day. But when you have no choice but to throw all clothes, all around the room, it does not make it haven.

It was very warm in the rooms and the A/C didn't really cool it down - fortunately, we had lower windows that we could open up to get freash air into the room or I don't think I would have slept.

Then there was the “fire alarm” that went off at 4 AM in the morning!! However, I want to complement the hotel on its security system, with in room speakers giving us information that the alarm went off in basement and not to panic, we don’t have to evacuate and more information will follow. Finally after about 1/2 hour, the night manager came on the speaker, turned off the alarm, stated fire department arrived and all is clear.

The following morning, it would have been nice to get a thank you for your inconvenience, free drink at bar, certificate (percentage off next stay) no just a letter in our room (see attached) sorry for inconvience.

I have stayed in other Novotels but won’t be returning to the Ottawa one.

Room Tip: Do not take the water off of the sensor pad - or you will pay $4.50 CAD per bottle of water.
4  Thank celticgirl_PR
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear celticgirl_PR,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Ottawa. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Danny Ponte
Front Office Manager
Novotel Ottawa

Reviewed 5 February 2012

This is a very modern hotel in a perfect location. The price is very reasonable... In my opinion, one of the more affordable hotels in Ottawa. Its right accross the road from the Rideau shopping center, about a 2 min walk to the Byward Market and 5 min walk to the Rideau Canal and Parlement. The rooms are a little on the small side, but there is enough space. The bathroom doors don't give a huge amount of privacy, so if this is an issue for you, that's something to keep in mind. The hotel has room service, a pool, fitness center and a restaurant... We didn't have a chance to try any, but they all looked nice. I would reccomend this hotel, and will stay there again for sure on our next trips to Ottawa.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

6  Thank An Accor traveller
A TripAdvisor Member
Ottawa
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Very dissapointed. I was expecting something much better such as Novotel Paris or even Montreal. No such luck.

The design of the hotel seems to have been an after thought of construction. It is connected to an adjacent suites hotel. I think it was originally a twin tower and it didn't work and they made rooms.

There is no elevator access to the parking. Not convenient for luggage.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Location is just steps from Parliament, great restaurants and short distance from ViaRail. Rooms are very nice and quiet but the customer service for rooms and business is outstanding. Competition wanted double the rates for everything. Good job guys, i will be back.

Room Tip: Smile and they wlll offer anything you need
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Like every one else, the location is excellent! It is easy to get to and from 417. Although the parking lot leaves a little to be desired, many of the spaces would only fit a compact car and the elevator only serves one level. It might be better to park across the road at the Rideau Centre parking lot.As has been noted the rooms are compact but are adequate.The swimming pool and hot tub are a nice feature, however a good distance from the elevator. A co-ed steam room would have been nice rather than separate. I found the staff both friendly and effecient .
Good value for a downtown hotel, especially if you are able to take advantage of their specials.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed here during NHL Allstar Weekend Jan 2012. The staff were helpful. Location was excellent for shopping & site seeing. 2-3' from the Rideau Centre. The hotel has an unusual layout. The floors are much like a maze with narrow corridors. The rooms are very plain and small. Very little drawer space. A few mirrors on the bedroom/desk wall would give it a larger feel. Bathroom & shower are fine. Room service was prompt with tasty food. The pool was a nice size. Overall the best feature of this Hotel was the location & price. Because of the small rooms - you will not want spend much time in them other than sleeping.

3  Thank avalon99