“St Patties Weekend in Ottawa was the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Novotel Ottawa

Ranked #27 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Visiting Ottawa for a work conference and stayed at the novotel for three nights.
The rooms have a typical hotel room feel.
modern but simple.

PROS:
- Great location across the street from the shopping center, and one block away from the Byward market. A short walk to the Hill.
- Very clean and modern shower (see picture). No bath tub.
- good size rooms

CONS:
- the bed was okay but the pillows were cheap and uncomfortable. Tried the extra pillow in the closet but it had a strange feel. I called for other types of pillow but none were great. Also the bedding felt a little cheap. Its was not the plush and soft type I like but may just be my personal preference. There is no sheet separating the duvet from the bed or you. The hotel does have a sign saying that they change the duvet after each guest stay. There is also an extra sheet in the closet if you want to use, which I did.
- the water and mini bar have motion sensers soif you move then you will be automatically charged. Not an issue if you know but does change the feeling of the hotel.

Overall it was a good stay mostly due to the location. I'm not sure if I would be rushing to come back.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank SSRESS
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear SSRESS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Novotel Ottawa. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests.

I have reviewed your comments and concerns, and I want to assure you that I take them very seriously. Our relationship with our guests is extremely important to us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Ottawa.

Pembroke, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Hotel was clean, great food, plus I was able to bring my small dog with me. however when booking our room for 4 nights it would have been great for the front desk staff to say " yes we do have an indoor pool, however it will be closed 3 of the 4 days of your stay " After using the pool the first day, I came to find out for the rest of my stay I would be required to go to another hotel to use there pool. Not good after you have already booked and stayed a night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Jamie J.

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at Novotel Ottawa.

In regards to our swiming pool, we share our facilities with the neighborring hotel. I was not aware that the swiming pool was closed for any reason recently. If you can please e-mail me with more details at dannyponte@novotelottawa.com and I will investigate further.

Again, thank you for your comments, we hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Overall, my experience with Novotel was a positive one.

the only issue which came up related to the Reservations desk. When I got my confirmation e-mail a few days before travel, it did not reflect a change I had made. When I called the number the staff informed me that the changes had not been made and insinuated that I was lying. Further there were several dates which I did not have a reservation for and the hotel was full. Ultimately I was able to confirm changes to the reservation with the Ottawa Novotel but not before considerable stress and frsutration. Reservation staff should simply refer customers to the hotel is their records are not accurate not get in an arguement with them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Very close to Byward Market and Parliament buildings. Room size was perfect for the 2 of us. Didn't get to use the pool because we forgot swimwear but did see it; lots and lots of people in it!! Looked nice, probably a little too busy. Didn't like the lack of a sheet, it was just the comforter on the bed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Torport,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your recent experience at the Novotel Ottawa. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. On your next stay please don’t forget your swimwear! ;-)

About the bed sheet, all rooms have a spare bed sheet in the closet along with a blanket and extra pillow. Rest assured that all the duvet covers are changed upon a guest’s departure.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience at Novotel Ottawa; we hope to see you back soon!

dannyponte@novotelottawa.com
Innisfil, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

When we made our reservation 2 months before the arrival date we were assured by the reservation agent at this hotel that we could have 2 adjoining rooms which was very important to us because we were going to babysit our 2 grandchildren .
When we arrived at 200 pm we were told that there were NO adjoining rooms available , but we could have 2 rooms side-by-side which we reluctantly accepted. We were told that OUR room was available but my son's room had not been CLEANED yet so we could come back later and get the room keys . We checked back at 300 pm and 500 pm and were told the same story by the front desk staff ..room not cleaned yet come back later.
When we checked again at 600 pm on our way to dinner we were told by a female front desk person that the maids were actually IN my son's room cleaning it and we could get the room key after dinner .
Imagine our surprise when we arrived back to the front desk after dinner to be told by a male front desk agent that my son's room was now "OUT OF SERVICE " and not available at all !
I demanded to speak to the Hotel Manager and I was totally ignored ...after a long argument with this staff person , they gave us a room "directly below " our room on a different floor ! That was really convenient for our family ...NOT.
When I complained again the next morning to different front desk staff , the very helpful young lady(a different staff person) offered us 2 free breakfast vouchers and waived the parking fees which was a nice gesture but does not cover being lied to by at least 4 front desk staff over a period of 6 hours .
My wife and I have travelled to my places throughout the world during the past 40 years and we have never found Front Desk Staff who have been so deceiptful and rude as this Hotel .
I also need to mention that some drunk pulled the fire alarm at 700am on our last morning and there were dozens of guests wandering around the hotel and streets ...NOBODY from the Hotel staff was giving any directions or advice to help us ....if there had been a real fire , it would have been totally chaotic and guests would have been at risk of injury .
I would rather sleep on the streets of Ottawa then return back to Novotel Ottawa .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank almostretired49
Danny P, Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Almostretired49,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your recent experience at The Novotel Ottawa.

First of all, let me apologize for all that happened during your stay. I am sorry that you had to be the burden of all of these issues. At Novotel Ottawa, we strive to ensure our guests comfort and peace of mind. I hope that you will consider this as isolated incidents. Please do not hesitate to contact me at dannyponte@novotelottawa.com, so I can investigate what happened on your stay even further.

I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you in a manner that is consistent with your expectation of Novotel Hotels.

Please let me know of your next reservation and I will personally ensure that your stay is most enjoyable.

Regards,
dannyponte@novotelottawa.com
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed at Novotel Ottawa in August 2011 - I've been a bit slack with writing the review. Anyway wanted to share that it is a great location - just across the road from the Rideau shopping centre - through the shopping centre you can access the bus to the airport. It is also a short walk away from Byward market - Ottawa is fairly small in the way of downtowns so a lot of hotels will be well located. The lobby area is very clean and stylish. The people at reception are quite helpful in answering tourist questions. The room is clean and well appointed. The aircon unit was pretty loud though. The bed was very comfortable and bathroom clean and well appointed. The room overall was very nice - pretty much all you want in a room - it wasn't anything majorly special but there was nothing wrong with it either. The street that it is on is fairly wide and safe feeling - this is a good feature when you are walking back from the Byward market in the evening. We also got the breakfast in the morning - it is all you can eat so it does keep you going for a lot of the day. Overall it is a good bet for a stay in Ottawa.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple