“big room, consistent service”

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We were a little nervous after reading other reviews, but the Sheraton delivered exactly what we expected. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. This is not Indigo or The Arc Hotel - the decor is stately if not stylish. We benefited from Club access; the Club Lounge is quite stylish and a great amenity. The location was great for Winterlude activities and the service was consistently helpful from arrival to departure. We hope to visit again when the skateway is open.

Room Tip: The Club Level rooms were very large and the Club Lounge is a great amenity.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Corey B
SheratonOttawaHotel, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Hello Corey,
Thanks for posting your comments regarding your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel. We are quite proud of our new Club Lounge and it's Breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres offering.

I'm sorry that the weather didn't exactly co-operate with skating on the Rideau Canal, but hopefully you still had the opportunity to enjoy some Hot Chocolate and a Beavertail!!!

Best Regards,
Rosanna

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Overall we were dissappointed with our stay in Ottawa.

Check-in. As a platinum member we are used to being treated well. We were an inconvience to the person checking us in, she had to get off the phone to help us.
Despite me giving her my Platinum card there was no recogniion of it. We weren't given the choice of a check-in amentiy or told anything. She just handed our room key and said, elevators are over there.
I persisted further asking about our check-in amenity. Was told points would be added to my account - guess that was my choice huh?
I then had to ask about the club lounge, late checkout, and other amenities. She really didn't want to provide anything aside from what I asked for.

The room (1401) was dated as many have said on here. There was wood paneling on the wall. The bed was comfortable but that's about it.

The only highlight of the hotel would be the Club Lounge. It was nice to be able to go there to get some appetizers at night and breakfast in the morning.

Even when checking out, we weren't asked how our stay was, thank us or anything. They took the key and said, Ok, you're all set.

We ended up fogetting a shirt when we checked out. I phoned several times the next day as we were still in Ottawa and could have come and got it if they found it. They kept transferring me to the lost and found, which never answered the phone and I left a message to call me.

They did call me, after we left Ottawa the next day. They wanted to know if they should hold onto it until my next visit.....No, I will not be back. This has just solidified the fact that the next time I am in Ottawa I will be staying at The Westin. They always treat me well there. I wish we had stayed there instead.

As a loyal Starwood member, I am completely underwhelmed by this hotel. I can understand when things are dated and need to be refreshed, but the service here, even for their highest loyalty member just plain sucked.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. The Westin is much nicer and service much better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jalenkos
SheratonOttawaHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Please allow me to apologize for your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel. We strive to provide the highest level of service to each and every guest. From your comments, I can see that this was not the service you received, so rest assured I will be following up to ensure the importance of this commitment of excellence is upheld at all times.

I would like to connect with you personally so that we may further discuss your experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Robert Roy

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Tired hotel with a horrible parking situation. I needed quick access to my car as I was travelling solo and on business and would need to grab things from there. The ONLY parking option provided is to pay $25 for valet.

Not worth it. I will never stay in Starwood in this city.

Room Tip: higher floors less traffic sounds
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Canadiangal86
SheratonOttawaHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. As in most cities, parking is at times a challenge due traffic and limited space. We believe that providing our guests with valet service enables us to make the best of these challenges. It is likely that you already know this but calling before you need the vehicle often saves time.
We would appreciate you giving us a call to tell you us more about your specific situation and your stay in general.

Warm regards

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I'm a frequent traveller to Ottawa and a SPG Platinum member. I typically stay at the Sheraton Ottawa for it's proximity to my office and my clients. Each and every week the people are friendly, rooms clean and the lounge delivers a great continental breakfast.

The room service/restaurant is also reasonably priced and the food is quite good.

The only downside to this hotel is that the furnishings are getting a little dated in the rooms. While they have the LCD TVs and the Sweet Sleeper beds the bathrooms and furnishings are getting a little dated.

That being said for the rates you typically get for these rooms and the location you can't beat the Sheraton.

3  Thank SuperDave15
SheratonOttawaHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Hi SuperDave15,

Our team sincerely thanks you for your warm comments.

The Sheraton Ottawa Hotel is well located in downtown Ottawa, and we are pleased to have genuine associates who are happy to welcome you.

As an SPG Platinum guest, we hope you've had the opportunity to experience our new Club Lounge.

I look forward to connecting with you on your next visit to Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

The lobby in this hotel is practically non-existent. The fitness room and pool are well equipped, bright and spacious. The club lounge is pleasant and the continental breakfast is fine. The rooms are not luxurious but decent and the television is small for the room size and hard to see over the sleigh bed but the bed is comfortable. The bathroom is small. Service was pleasant. Overall expensive for An Ottawa hotel.

Hello Carole,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experiences at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I am pleased that you've had the opportunity to visit our redesigned Core Performance Fitness Center, and recently upgraded Club Lounge.

I notice that you stayed on a Club Guestroom floor, so included in your Room rate was access to our Club lounge with evening hors d'oeuvres, and Full Continental Breakfast in the Morning. These upgraded guestrooms do have sleigh beds, and you do have to sit up on the bed to watch your favorite programs on the 37 inch LCD.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

I attended business meetings and stayed in the hotel. The lobby is very small, you can't park your own car - valet parking only, the food provided at the meetings was okay - although the cookies and squares were pretty good, My room was large, comfortable and clean. The hotel is very close to many museums and other attractions, good restaurants, shopping, the Rideau canal and parliament buildings - walking distance. Nothing really unique here - plain but convenient.

1  Thank MarvelousGreenMtnman
SheratonOttawaHotel, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Hi MarvelousGreenMtnman,

What a unique user name! Thanks for posting your comments regarding your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I have to admit, I am a huge fan of the Chocolate Chip cookies, and after a couple I usually take a quick afternoon walk past Sparks Street mall to the Parliament buildings, then back past the Rideau Canal. It's a brisk 15 minutes!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

All the Best,
Rosanna

Reviewed 16 January 2012

My wife and I made a trip to Ottawa, Canada's capital. We have been in most the major cities in Canada, but not the capital. We made the trip over the Columbus Day weekend, which is a holiday in the US.We stayed in the Sheraton, great location, very nice hotel. Hotel employees were great.
Rooms very clean. We were walking distance to all of the downtown attractions. If, we make another trip to Ottawa, we would definitely stay at the Sheraton.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 52787John

Hello 52787John,

Thanks for posting wonderful comments about your stay at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife on your next visit to Canada's Capital. Perhaps in May during the Tulip Festival, while the Tulip blooms really brighten the city.