“Excellent location, friendly service, but a trip down memory lane”

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal
“Excellent location, friendly service, but a trip down memory lane”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and it offers consistently helpful and friendly service, clean rooms, and a central location. The hotel is well-maintained and the beds comfortable. Room service is efficient and there is a good buffet breakfast. Excellent coffee in the restaurant or via room service. Their baggage check is convenient, efficient, and well-organized. Great when attending meetings nearby.

On the down side, the rooms are the strangest design I have ever encountered, with a large empty space on entry and beds squeezed into the narrowest space. There is absolutely no view. Note that bathrobes are only available in club rooms. If you need a shower cap and are not in a club room, you have to request one. Comparably priced hotels in the area include these things with their standard rooms. However, when I am not planning to spend much time in the room and want a clean comfortable place to sleep, this hotel has all the necessities.

There is no self-parking. Valet parking only - that makes it inconvenient when one wants to get things from the car during the day.

The boutique in the lobby has really nice items.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be the same - I actually got the impression I was given the same room over and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank dondedieu
SheratonOttawaHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Hello Dondedieu,

Thank you for posting comments regarding your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I am pleased that you have good service throughout your stay, and enjoy the restaurant, our Starbucks coffee, and the uniqueness of the Fresh Flower shop.

The hotel does offer SPG rooms, and Club floors for guests wanting an experience which includes upgraded amenities and access to our Club Lounge.

If your travels bring you back to Ottawa, please feel free to contact Emily Acolaste, our Guest Expereince Manager, and she would be happy to arrange all your personal comforts, in your guestroom prior to arrival.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Rob Roy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed here a couple months ago for 1 night in a two double bed room. The room was a little dated, but it was pretty spacious. There were four of us in the room, and fit reasonably well. It was relatively close to the market as well (about a 15 minute walk). Staff were friendly and polite. The room was a little dated, but for a short stay it wasn't bad for the price. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Worldtraveller3654
SheratonOttawaHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Hello Thomas C,
Thank you for posting comments regarding your previous stay at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I'm glad you were available to enjoy our downtown location and visit the Byward Market, which is a fantastic place to wander on the weekends.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Like most of the other reviewers, this hotel is getting dated. I was under the impression that they were renovating but didn't see any evidence of this while I was there. My stay was much shorter than anticipated due to a delayed arrival flight. I had enough time to shower, get 90 minutes of sleep and leave. The wake-up call came on time. The bed was super comfortable for my (very) short nap, and I found lots of clean fluffy towels in the bathroom. The wood panelling in the rooms is dated and dreary, and the rooms could use some additional lighting.

I like the location of the Sheraton and stay here frequently for business. However, considering the other options in Ottawa that have more modern rooms and facilities, I may be inclined to stay elsewhere in the future. I hope that the renovations continue so I will continue to enjoy this hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank PrincessGolden
Hello PrincessGolden,
Thank you for taking the time to review Sheraton Hotel, based on your recent stay.

We will be upgrading our guestrooms shortly with a more modernized look, which will include upgraded lighting.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future, and hopefully your stay will be longer than 2 hours!

Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Since this hotel is directly across the street from our Ottawa office, this is the hotel that my company puts up in when we visit. My first stay was last week. The location is great (I had the weekend to play "tourist", so I appreciated the proximity to the canal, market, and museums).

The hotel itself is very dated (I haven't seen wood panelling like that in ages) and bit a scuffed up. I hated the pillows, but that may be a personal thing (all the linens had a weird vinyl feel to them), but the bed itself was comfortable. The room had a slightly musty smell to it, but was cleaned well.

I travelled with two colleagues and despite booking king bedded rooms all of us ended up in rooms with two double beds (not a huge issue, but I like getting what I booked).

As I find in most Starwood properties, the fitness centre was good with new equipment, fresh towels and easy access to water.

The free internet was nice - when it worked.

Like another reviewer, I was surprised not to find a folio under my door and no ability to do an express check-out.

The staff didn't stand out as particularly good or bad - just kind of there.

Not sure I'd choose this hotel if in Ottawa for fun - likely try the Westin across the canal or the Hilton in Gatineau (stayed there a few times already - much nicer/newer, but location is not nearly as good), but it is perfectly acceptable when there for work (not that I really have a choice).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank crashbb
SheratonOttawaHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Hello Crashbb,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

Prior to your next business trip to the Sheraton Ottawa, feel free to contact Emily Acolatse, our Guest Services Manager. She would be glad to ensure that your reservation is according to your preferences, and that we have everything inplace as you like it prior to your arrival.

calgary
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This place could be really good. Great location, decent sized rooms, but, there are so many niggling details that are wrong. The room is dated, despite newish carpet. Internet was free, and actually worked. Check in was efficient and polite, but check out involved something I haven't done for years... checking out. No receipt under the door so you can grab it and go. Instead, a 15 minute line up (when most folks are trying to get somewhere in the morning). The staff were cranky and cold. The tiny print job I needed took an additional 1/2 hour of waiting. Bar and restaurant just OK, and pricey. Cheap soap and scratchy old towels. All this, for $239 a night. I would have given this review an "average" rating. But for $239 in Ottawa, it doesn’t deserve anything better than a "poor".

If these folks tried really hard to deliver a top-notch customer service experience, one could overlook the other details. But they really aren't trying all that hard.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank voegelin
SheratonOttawaHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Hello Voegelin,
Thank you for posting comments regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

As part of our Sustainability program, we no longer deliver guestroom folios, however on Check-in we should have offerred to email your guest folio on your departure day. I apologize that this was not the case.

I apprieciate your comments and l can ensure you that we are focused on excelling in customer service.

North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My family and I stayed at the Sheraton in Ottawa last weekend for Winterlude. The hotel was average and here's why: the rooms, although a good size, were dated and grubby. The drywall above the window was badly cracked and chunks were missing. It was so ugly that I kept the blinds pulled during our stay. The tongs in our ice bucket were covered in something really disgusting (?!) but the staff were pleasant when we asked them to replace the ice bucket and tongs with clean ones. The light switch in the bathroom had dried brown liquid splattered over it and although we stayed two nights, it was never wiped clean by housekeeping. In general, housekeeping was not good enough. The carpet in the room was vacuumed, but it felt dirty. The pool is a narrow, shallow lap pool and is kept cool. Not ideal for kids but ours were fine with it. There is no hot tub. Add. tip: there are no bottle openers in the rooms, so bring your own if you want to enjoy a beer in your room after your skate on the canal. Positives: The beds were comfortable, as were sheets and pillows. The location is decent but a lot of walking for our kids (next time we'll stay right in the Byward Market). The hotel is very dog friendly. My brother brought his dog and the staff gave the dog treats (funny though, our kids didn't get special treats...). We didn't eat at the restaurant, so I can't comment on that. Overall: average.

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the city.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
SheratonOttawaHotel, Executive Housekeeper at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Hello Bringonspring,

Thank you for posting comments regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Hotel.

I apologize that your guestroom condition and cleanliness were not to standard during your stay, as we strive to excel in these areas.

I will be contacting you personally regarding your guest experience.

Usha Huria
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I booked 2 double beds at this hotel several weeks in advance of my trip. Upon check-in I was informed they no longer had 2 beds and I'd get a king size. What's the point in booking ahead if I'm not going to get exactly what I'd originally booked? They offered a cot. Yes, my travel partner was thrilled to have paid almost $200 a night to sleep on a cot. Staff tried to smoothe it over by offering free appetizers in the club lounge. At roughly 8:30pm after settling in, my friend and I decided to head to the club lounge. We were then told appetizers were from 5pm-7pm. Do you think the staff would have been smart enough to mention this when offering it to us in the first place? No. Upon returning home, I emailed the manager and he hasn't yet replied. It's been almost 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything at all. I thought I'd try and wait to hear from him before posting this review, but apparently as a guest, I mean nothing to them. There are plenty of other great hotels in this area, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends