“Great location and very good hotel stay!”

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton for two nights and were so pleased with the location and the room! We stayed on the 10th floor and think it had been refreshed recently. It was a lovely room, large and comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed and pillows were also excellent and we had a great sleep! A nice size flat screen TV and fast internet. The bathroom was also very clean along with the shower. We walked to the Parliament Buildings and Sparks Street Mall where we ate most of the time outside on a patio because the weather was spectacular! We saw the changing of the guards and took a tour of the Parliament Buildings then went back at night to see Mosaica against the buildings! A wonderful day and proud to be Canadian!! The only con of the hotel and any of the hotels downtown is that it was $25 a day for parking but the location was worth it to us! The staff both at checkin and making up our room were very friendly and helpful. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refreshed room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Hello GelnJenny,
Thanks for sharing your great experience in Ottawa on Trip Advisor!

I am pleased you had the chance to explore downtown and experience some of the great things this city has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon, perhaps during Winterlude when you can try skating on the Rideau Canal.

Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

Our stay was fine. We had a nice room which was clean and seemed to have some recent updates.
We didn't have time to use any of the amenities but they seem to offer the standard Sheraton facilities.
The location is close to many major attractions - Parliment Hill, Rideau Centre, Byward Market, etc which is great.
Overall, the service was ok - not terrible but with some room for improvement.

• Stayed: August 2012
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Hello Whatremains,
Thanks for taking some time to comment on your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope on your next visit you'll have the opportunity to visit our new Club Lounge or Sheraton Fitness Center.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel from 31-Jul-12 to 03-Aug-12. Front desk staff at checkin were very helpful and then later when I had trouble getting the free WiFi to work on my iPad they helped me by calling their IT people and sorting the server issue. We had a late flight and they held our luggage when we checked out for most of the day before we had to leave for the airport.

We walked to the attractions we wanted to see which included Parliament Hill, Byward Market, Rideau Centre, Chateau Laurier, Tour buses on Elgin and Sparks Street, Elgin Street Diner, etc. and we were close to Sparks Street Mall where there was a busker festival while we were there.

Those who like Starbucks coffee and very soft pillows and mattresses are going to love these hotel beds and the free coffee provided in their hotel room. We prefer a much firmer mattress and really never slept well because of the way the bedding is there. Try the coffee at Bridgehead on Metcalfe and Sparks. It's wayyyyy better!

I would have rated this hotel higher except that I used Air Miles and gave my credit card information to hold the room reservation. There was a mixup and the hotel took my Air Miles AND charged my credit card. When I notified the hotel, they reimbursed my credit card but I would have preferred to not have this error in communication occur and have to wait for my money to be returned.

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor could use some refurbishing. Our view was an office building. Not sure y...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
SheratonOttawa, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Hello fromregina,
Thanks for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I am pleased that our Guest Services Team was able to assist you throughout your stay.

I apologize for the mix-up with your points, and am glad to hear that the issue was solved quickly. If there is anything outstanding please feel free to contact me directly.

BTW, I agree Bridgehead coffee is delicious and we now have two locations within a block of the hotel!

Amanda Lewicki

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stay in this downtown hotel in July for 3 days.

Plus:
- Location is good - it is within walking distance to Rideau Center and Ottawa River.
- Staff is friendly and efficient during the check-in and the check-out.
- Staff at the Restaurant and the Bar are also outstanding.
- Internet speed is very good.
- The renovated room looks good - it looks brighter than those that are yet to be renovated (I have chance to stay in both rooms during my stay).
- The bed is very comfortable.
- The fitness center does provide enough equipment for a great workout.

Negative:
- I am only aware that the executive lounge is closed when I did my check-in. Would be better to inform the guests during their online registration.
- Buffer breakfast is good but I feel a bit overpriced.

It's worth staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Hello Edward A-A,
Thanks for taking time to comment on your experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

I am pleased you had the opportunity to experience one of our newly refreshed rooms, which is also the cause of the Club Lounge closure. This is now completed, so I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I travel often to Ottawa for business purposes so was expecting the same great service i've received at other comparable hotels in the area especially for the $200plus a night I paid for the room - boy was I wrong!
Although the location is ideal situated downtown Ottawa (Alberta and Metcalfe area) the valet parking situation is terrible backing up all of Albert street with no guarantee you can pull up out front to check in.
I had purchased the room online requesting a king size bed, and when I checked in they reiterated this request sending me to room 315. To my displeasure I entered the room to find two double beds. When I called down to guest services they said the hotel was full but they would see what the front desk could do. When I spoke again to the woman that checked me in she said there was nothing she could do and didn't even apologize for the confusion.
Be forewarned that the in room movies are the most money i've ever paid at $19.00 each, and a salad and soup is $40 from room service.
To top off my horrible experience - when I woke up bright and early due to the noise from the traffic, I had to scrub the shower before I could have one as the maids had not cleaned up what looked like vomit from the bottom of the tub.
Trust me and DO NOT STAY at the Ottawa Sheraton Hotel. Some of my other recommendations (located right around the corner) would be the hotel indigo on metcalfe, or the lord elgin on elgin.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here for the New Year eve celbration checking in on new years eve and staying untill the 2nd. The property was clean and will signed. Parking was a HUGE gripe. First off there is no self-park option. Valet parking is $23 per day in addition to your room rate, which is really in-convient. Apon pulling up to the parking area they rush you to unpack ur car before the valet takes it into the parking garage. Its the middle of winter, icy side walks, slush fill curbs and puddles everywhere. There is NO unloading area what so ever. After that stress levels are already high. The "swanky staff" was very stuck up to see a colored young person as myself staying there. Saying they would need to verify my ID and credit card. Upset in hearing this I left them cash as a deposit and paid cash for my stay. More or less to prove a point.

Again the location is exactly what we wanted, 1 block from captial hill in the heart of downtown. The room was clean and spacious. The hotel itself is very nicely kept. I would return but make sure I have my patience with me when I arrive.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
SheratonOttawa, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Hello Jay R,
Thanks for taking time to post comments regarding your Winter stay at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel

I apologize that your valet parketing experience was rushed and not a calming welcome. I would like to mention that is our policy however for all Front office staff to ask all guests for Identification and a credit card on arrival to the hotel.

I'm glad you still enjoyed the hotel and hope to welcome you back to Sheraton on your next visit to Ottawa.

Amanda Lewicki

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights and enjoyed our time. Pleasant and helpful staff. If you stay make sure you read the booklet entitled "where" as it will provide a listing of things to do as well as restaurants in the area. Try to get on the higher floors, facing north, as it will allow a nice view of the city and the Gatineau region of Quebec.
Room was spacious, clean and found the cleaning staff as well as the valet parking personnel very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil835

Hi Phil836,
Thanks for posting your comments about your recent experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoted your time in Ottawa and that the Where magazine located in your guestroom was helpful to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.