“For the price...”

Capital Hill Hotel & Suites
Ranked #42 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 28 November 2011

For the price I paid I didn't expect better than what I got. An average room with not so confortable beds, an ok bathroom and weird looking balcony. I was happy with the little kitchen where I could heat up some food. The staff was nice. The only thing really bugging me was the parking lot which was very very small. Will try to go elsewhere next time I go to Ottawa, but the location is hard to beat for the price.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DomLaf

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed for a night recently and dingy is generous. The rooms feel like it is 1982 the hallways are dirty and the wall are all banged up. I wasn't sure if I was staying at a hotel or a motel. it was only 100 a night but it is definitely not a repeat.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

From start to finish my hotel stay here was awful! I checked into my room only to discover it was NOT the room in their website pictures...to say the room was 'shabby' would be kind...it was horrible. First off the beds had springs sticking out, room smelled like mold and the bathroom was like a closet. The furniture was falling apart and ppl can walk to from their balcony to yours!! After 3 hrs of waiting, a General manager telling me she was right and I was wrong and finally being moved to another room...which supposedly had JUST been cleaned I find garbage in the dresser drawer!!! The elevators are iffy at best often stopping at the 10th floor and refusing to go up any more....while at front desk waiting for my car keys a man was asking about where they valet parked his car and was told to go look through 2 levels of parking for it himself!!! The staff don't care the website pics are a lie and I wouldn't take money to stay here again let alone pay for the crap I was put through!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I would tend to echo the majority of previous reviewers about this hotel. On the plus side it is incredibly well located and strolling distance from everything in Ottawa, it is good value and is clean and comfortable. On the downside it is somewhat dated decour and the two lifts can be slow at peak time. I found the staff perfectly helpful if not falling over backwards with enthusiasm.

A WORD OF WARNING! There is currently a major building site adjacent to the hotel (facing the Canal/Arts Centre). The first room they put me in was on the 9th floor overlooking it - and the noise was deafening! Work starts before 8am and finishes 4pm. I asked for a room change and was moved to the other side of the hotel without fuss (there is still a fair bit of traffic noise - but you're in the centre or town after all). So if you are planning on leisurely lie-ins or need to work in your room, and you wind up facing the building site, you will not have a good stay. I'd definitely ring ahead to ensure you are facing the street.

Two more things (i) as a European - I found the rooms spacious and comfortable. I think US travellers have grander expectations in terms of size and opulence. (ii) There is a cracking little cafe immediately to the left of the main entrance (as you leave) which does excellent and extremely good value breakfasts.

Room Tip: As above - not facing the building site - you want to be facing Albert Street
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We chose this Hotel due to the fact it was close to Downtown and in walking distance to the Parliament Buildings. LOVE the fact that the whole hotel is SMOKE FREE! The lady who checked us in was very pleasant. We stayed in a room with a King Size bed for 2 nights. The room was spacious and beautiful. While we were at the hotel we even use the hotel restaurant. Which is called the bibliothèque. Great spot for breakfast. The only negative thing we could say was the parking, very tight quarters, wish this was free due to the inconvenience. All and all a great stay. We can see ourselves staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The staff at the hotel were welcoming and did an early check in for us. The suite was clean but worn - carpets and couch show the age (wear and tear and stains). Nothing housekeeping can do about this - the bath, kitchen, and bed were all cleaned well.

The living space, dining area and kitchen had sufficient space. The bedroom had two queens but was sized for one - had to squeeze sideways between the bed and closet. Lots of closet and drawer space.

No noise from other rooms but across from a major bus stop (both sides of hotel - one way roads) so be prepared for early mornings. Heaters have noisy blowers. The bed didn't feel comfortable at first but wasn't bad once you settled in. Lots of pillows and extra blanket.

The location is excellent - 5 minute walk to parliament, 7 - 10 minutes to market/Rideau Centre, 3 minutes to NAC. And, as I said, the bus stop is only steps from the door. We didn't have a car so I don't know about parking. No restaurant on-site. There is a breakfast/lunch restaurant attached but no dinner.

Even though it isn't a fancy hotel, it was comfortable and convenient with helpful staff. I always do early a.m.s so bus noise was fine. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Chose this hotel because price was good for location. You get what you pay for. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable, there were blood stains on comforter. Bathroom looked soviet era. No conditioner or hand lotion, only two bottles of terrible "conditioning shampoo". Exercise room was a dirty old hotel room with treadmill, exercise bike, and weight machine. The parking garage was a dilapidated (cones placed around fallen debris) and very tight. For some reason the front desk required you leave car keys with them even though this is not valet park. Television was an old Daewoo with broken remote, the advertised photo showed modern flat screen. Noisy location, worst night of sleep in my life. Front door dead bolt would not lock. Originally booked two nights but canceled second night and found great hotel down the street. Much better hotels in area for a little more money.

• Stayed: October 2011