The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Wonderful weekend with my family, outstanding service with every associate we came in contact with. the room was comfortable and spacious highly recommend the westin

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KCLCToronto
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear SniperMonkey,

Thank you for your comments! I am thrilled to read that you were able to enjoy the Winterlude festivities, and of course that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again, perhaps for one of Ottawa’s summer festivals! If during your next stay you would prefer toiletries with a more neutral scent, simply notify one of our guest service agents and we would be happy to accommodate.

Thank you once again for your review, and be well,
John J

Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here the first weekend of February for a night. We found it wasn't much more expensive than other hotels that weekend in the area - well worth the extra price. We did take advantage of the Ontario Resident rate. Also, the hotel is completely non-smoking whereas some hotels have smoking and non-smoking rooms.

No bed bugs.

We were on the 17th floor. It was designated a "quiet floor." The room was clean - even smelled clean. The bed was very comfortable and had a nice view of the Parliament buildings and the canal. Elevators were fast and the room was quiet. The toiletries are too fragrant though but we do prefer very neutral scents.

The location of the hotel was worth every penny. The Rideau Canal was right across the street where we went skating and had Beaver Tails. A few blocks to the Byward Market where we had dinner and more Beaver Tails (cheaper here than on the Canal). The mall was attached which allowed us to grab a quick lunch without lugging all our winter gear with us. Parliament was a few blocks away too. We ended up taking transit (97 bus, $3.25) from the airport rather than taking the taxi. We took the taxi going to the airport though because the 97 got full along the route. It's fine if you're the first ones on the bus, but we would have been a pain if we got on at Rideau Centre.

Great stay for visiting Ottawa for a weekend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Nice hotel, but for the price you pay this is minimum requirement and reason I gave three stars. Great location; close to parliament, the Market, malls, convention center, walking distance to downtown. Check in very good, valet parking was efficient. Room very nice, if not a bit small; was in corner room so strange config, but great view and ridiculously large shower made up. Good desk to work on, and bed was more than comfortable with many many many pillows. As stated, was up on 22 floor, so very nice view of city. Gift shop nice touch, very convenient with good hours. Nice TV's.

Only downside for this hotel was the elevators, which brings me to my title. When you are on the 22nd, and are debating walking down you know there's a problem!!! When elevator did come, you either flew all the way down to the lobby or did the milk run of floors!!!! Not sure what they could do, but it's about as bad as I've seen in a newer hotel. I get this at places like the Fort Garry in Winnipeg but in a modern building??? Anyways, we were there for four days so I guess this starts to get on your nerves; short stays probably won't notice.

All in all, you get about what you pay for for central location!!! Can't help but feel though that there are better, more affordable options!!!

2  Thank GreatWhiteMark
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear GreatWhiteMark,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read that there were many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, such as your Heavenly Bed and shower, the view from your room, and of course our central downtown location. While our elevators have been a challenge for us, I am pleased to say that we are beginning a modernization project which will allow our elevators to better communicate with eachother, thereby providing a quicker, more efficient elevator ride with fewer interruptions.
I appreciate your feedback, and welcome you to stay with us again to experience our refreshed elevator system in the future.

Be well,

Reviewed 16 February 2012

The hotel was very nice, updated and clean. Location was the best feature- close to sightseeing, shopping, restaurants, and bars. Staff was very friendly. Would stay here again.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I have stayed here twice while attending conferences (most recently Feb 8 - Feb. 10). This is a great hotel in the heart of Ottawa. Easy walking distance to the Byward Market, Parliament Hill, the Rideau Canal, Rideau Centre (shopping mall) and a 15 minute drive from the airport. Not far from the train station either I believe. The hotel is fairly quiet and if you get a room over looking the canal and parliament hill, it will come with a gorgeous view. I used the gym one morning and the facilities were excellent, lots of room and machines, including a fair size pool and hot tub. The direct connection to the mall is a bonus. My only complaint is that staying here isn't cheap and I wouldn't have stayed if my company had not been footing the bill. So, it's not for everyone's budget, but if you can find a deal or are here in the low season, it's a great spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Rideau Canal
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I frequently take mini-vacations and whenever I head towards Ottawa, I always stay at The Westin. My latest weekend stay coincided with the start of Winterlude - Ottawa's three week celebration of winter. I got a panoramic view of Friday night's fireworks from my hotel window and skated on the Rideau Canal all day Saturday - located right next to the hotel.

I would recommend reserving a deluxe room just for the size and comfort and if you really want to spoil your self, ask for a corner room, called a junior suite - incredible view and very spacious.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here for only 4 days - but could have stayed much, much longer!!! The rooms are a good size, the bathroom clean and modern and the windows.....WOW, WOW, WOW. You can't ask for a better view of parliament than from here. We sat at the window, drank wine and watched people come and go - just amazing! The hotel is close to tons of shopping and restaurants.

We can't comment a lot on the food as we only ate here for one breakfast - it was fine, although a bit pricey - but you are also paying for location and convenience.

Room Tip: Upper floors with a view of Parliament
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tahitiandreams419
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Dear Tahitiandreams419,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! I am thrilled to read that you and your husband enjoyed your stay at The Westin Ottawa, and that you were able to relax and enjoy the best views of our beautiful city. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you both back again in the future!

Be well,