“Great location ... home from home accommodation!”

Auberge The King Edward Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 54 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Oakville, Canada
“Great location ... home from home accommodation!”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Went to visit my youngest daughter at Ottawa U and stayed in this homely B&B. My eldest daughter and I were greeted by Richard and Sunny (such a wonderful, friendly dog!) and Richard gave us the tour of his lovely home. We parked our car and were able to walk to the University and in fact did not use the car until we were ready to leave for home. Great location. Friendly host. Breakfast was fresh and home cooked. Will definitely be back for future visits.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We made a two day trip to Ottawa after Christmas, and decided to stay at this bed and breakfast due to the wonderful reviews it received. We were not disappointed. Richard was such a wonderful host, it felt more like staying at a friend's than a bed and breakfast. He gave us a quick overview of the wintertime sights in Ottawa and directions for walking to most sites from his house. He even pointed out the best places from which to take pictures. We had full access to the front sitting rooms on the main floor, and to the dining room for breakfast, in addition to our rooms (we had two rooms). The house was warmly decorated for Christmas, and we especially made use of the cozy gas fireplace in the front room, after an evening walk in the freezing cold. He provided a parking spot behind the building. Everything we would want!

Breakfast deserves a special mention. No smorgasbord of cold cereals and dry muffins, this! We had fresh fruit, the most glorious muffins EVER, superlative croissants, preserves, granola, yogourt. In addition, the first morning we had eggs and the second morning, pancakes (the best I've ever had). Wow.

We stayed in the tower room, and our son in the adjoining room. They were very cozy and warm, even in the midst of a cold snap outside and we spent quite a bit of time in the rooms themselves.

In short, we wish there were a B and B like this in every city we visit! We absolutely recommend it, and you can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank HighlandCreek
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Richard was a great host and when we arrived gave us lots of information and maps to make the most of our sight seeing in Ottawa. We stayed upstairs in a very large room facing the road. It was quiet though and we had a balcony with table and chairs. The shower is over the bath and quite small. We walked everywhere and felt safe. Loved the Byward Market area at night. Breakfast was the same both days with delicious fresh fruit, home cooked muffins and scrambled eggs.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the King Edward Bed and Breakfast this past November. What an enjoyable experience. The house was beautifully decorated for Christmas. I felt like I was walking into the sef of one of those wonderful vintage Christmas movies. The breakfasts were perfect and Richard the perfect host. He made you feel like a welcome friend instead of paying guest. He was most solicitious regarding our comfort checking if there was anything he could do for us. The crowning glory was Sunny. I have two large dogs and we travelled without them. Having a dog "fix" was the perfect thing. He was lovely and so well mannered. He never forced himself on you, but just one little "invite" and he was completely yours for a few minute. I would recommend The Sandy Hill "King Eddie" to anyone and hope that I have not "recommended" myself right into a "No Vacancy" sign the next time we head to Ottawa. I just don't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked beaufiful but it was wonderful to have the large room with the ensuite and priv...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 January 2012

There are many reasons why I will go back to Auberge...

1. Richard the host is a very nice person and a great host. He and Sunny (his dog) welcomed me in their very special way. He gave me simple small map about the area and informed me where to go for sight seeing, eating, shopping, museums etc; and also show me which way best to go there to get best view.

2. The house is old and gorgeous ! I do love old houses, so this is a right place for me. I was there on December, Richard decorated it with Chirstmas ornaments and he did very good ! The Christmas tree was one of the best I ever see. And oh I love the greens Richard puts in the house, including in my room. My room is lovely, I love it, and it's big.

3. The breakfast is excellent ! I had my best omelette there, with cheese and mushroom. The fresh from the oven croissant and blueberry muffin they make every morning are very yummy. The smell is all over the house ! I had great breakfast time with Richard and the other guests with our talks.

4. The B&B is in good area, I go everywhere by foot !

5. Sunny is a very cute big dog ! I miss him already.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank gold144
Maidstone, Ontario
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We were treated like royalty for three nights on our recent trip to Ottawa. The tower room was huge, comfortable and furnished with period antiques. Breakfast was fit for a "King" and included delicious homemade muffins and croissants -- yummmmm !!!
Best of all, Richard was a fountain of knowledge, providing maps, guidance to the major sites and with help from other guests, fantastic restaurant recommendations. Our stay was made even more special by Sunny, the playful and talented dog, and Kiwi, the parrot.
We look forward to another visit and enjoy your new fireplace !!!
Thanks Richard ---- P&C

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My daughter and I stayed here instead of a hotel and we were so happy with our choice! What a great house! The house was decorated beautifully for Christmas and breakfast was wonderful! Richard was very helpful with calling us a cab and giving us directions. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends