“What a Find!!”

Cuisines: Burmese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Phone 613-680-8821
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I first went to Rangoon Restaurant almost two years ago with a Dealfind Voucher...later when I saw them on Groupon I snapped up three! Either alone, with friends or with my daughter I have been back 9 times in total - more than any other restaurant since I moved to Ottawa. I like everything about it. The food is very good, the owners are personable, the service is quick, the prices are more than reasonable, the quaint atmosphere and Burmese decor. I plan to go again within the next couple of weeks and will continue; there are so many restaurants to choose from in Ottawa that I have visited many but cannot say that I "frequent" any of them...except this one!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was a repeat visit to this understated gem in the heart of downtown Ottawa. Used a Groupon voucher. We ordered a shrimp curry meal and a chicken curry meal. The coconut soup starter was interesting and tasty. The two curries were equally tasty and beautifully presented, although the chicken curry could have stood a little less salt. The service was gracious and attentive enough that we didn’t feel either forgotten or overwhelmed. Tea was on the table and the water was served ice cold, rather than lukewarm as is so typical of most restaurants. Even without the Groupon, the price was right and the experience very enjoyable. A word to the wise: Beware the peculiar stairs leading to the restaurant. There are only a few of them, but they come in a variety of depths and heights.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The services was terrible - waiter in a dirty t-shirt let the used dirty dished pile up on the table beside us
The food was bad- curry with not enough sauce to blend in the rice and veggies
The veggies - consisited of 2 green beans and two slices of carrots - all undercooked
we had to ask for ur drinks and water re-fills...
I enjoyed the time spent with my husband but the food and atmosphere were seriously lacking!!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Visited this restaurant recently for dinner with my sister. We were promptly served. However, they did not have any of their coconut soup (just lentil). The food we did order (Tea Leaf Salad, Chicken Curry, Rice, Fish Soup) was good. The chicken was very tender!
The service after we were served was horrible. The restaurant was not busy (1 other couple). The server never came by to ask how the food was or if we needed anything. We waited for over 30 minutes before having to flag down the server to get our bill. The server was standing behind the payment counter talking to a co-worker most of the time.
Overall, it was a mediocre experience.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my second time at Rangoon. Both times we used a Groupon and we have been impressed with the food and the service. It looks a bit scary from the outside but quite nice inside with fresh flowers on the tables. We shared Combo A: spring rolls, soup, tea leaf salad, chicken curry and dessert. The spring rolls were soooo good. They have potato in them so it's a bit of a different taste and texture than a typical spring roll. The dipping sauce they serve with the spring rolls is amazing. I wish I could recreate it at home. I actually wouldn't let the waiter take the dish away and kept the sauce to eat with the rest of my meal. The coconut soup was quite good; however the crunchy garnish they used became soggy and sort of lumpy when it got mixed with the soup. I don't remember this from the first time we went so perhaps the garnish is new. I would ask for it without in the future. The tea leaf salad was really quite spectacular and probably the best part of the meal. Crunchy, garlicy and very yummy. The chicken curry is pretty good, not the best I've tasted, but made much better by the sauce served with it (and the leftover spring roll sauce I couldn't bear to part with). The mango ice cream for dessert was yummy too. Overall a good meal. I would likely not order the soup or the chicken curry again, but I would try other items on the menu. I absolutely loved the spring rolls and the salad - I actually went back a couple of days later and got it for takeout. Service was quite good too. It was very busy when we went so we did have to get the waiter's attention in order to order, but not a big deal. Also you have to go up to the counter to pay. Very friendly, fast and pleasant. I will definitely be back.