“Good but not great.”

The Works Gourmet Burger Bistro
Ranked #308 of 3,001 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We make the World's Best BURGERS. PERIOD.
Reviewed January 13, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I popped by for dinner during the week. The service was prompt and the staff friendly.

Our Tower of Rings arrived promptly and was very good. Sadly there were less rings than would have been nice.

I ordered a Love Goat while my wife ordered Just Beachy or something like that. We had then bunless so really it was like a fancy Salsbury steak instead of a burger. The meat was a little dry but otherwise quite flavourful.

Sadly it was expensive. App and two meals with only water to drink came out to $50.00 before tip. Good food but not the best value for money.

Reviewed January 4, 2017

We visited with our family -- Burgers were good!! Some had French Fry Pouteen. -- very tasty! We had Cheddar Stuffed Burger!! Very good taste!! Order of onion rings were mediocre!! Milk Shakes were ok! Large is huge!!

Service was good!!

Reviewed December 30, 2016 via mobile

Everything was extremely cooked and dry: meat (which is important though), onion rings, buns, fries...
restaurant not too clean (washrooms included).
Ordinary service. Waitress seemed bored even if it was the begining of the evening service. Alcohol expensive (glass of wine and beer).
You can certainly find a better place for this price in this area. We were desapointed.

Reviewed December 17, 2016 via mobile

Went to the works tonight with my daughter for dinner. It was busy but we were seated quite quickly and the host asked if it was our first time there, gave us a rundown of their promos etc. Server was very good but by the end when we were finished and wanted our bill, it took a little too long. We ordered the Malibu meltdown and the kamikaze burgers. No prob substituting the cheddar cheese for goat cheese on my kamikaze. With one 9 oz glass of wine and 1 ginger die (bottomless), our bill was $47.61. Definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed October 18, 2016

Make no mistake I am a fan of the works; both the burgers and the atmosphere that they have created in their restaurants. Equipped with a coupon that we had from a promotion on a previous visit at another location we decided to try the location in the Kanata/Stittsville suburbs after picking one of the kids up from birthday party in the area. If you have read any of my other reviews you will see that I am generally very upbeat and positive about the restaurants I visit, generally I suppose because I tend to visit restaurants that I hope I will like and usually I am right. Unfortunately this time we all walked out very underwhelmed. This location did not have the great burgers, the service, the personality nor the atmosphere that we have come to expect from the other Works locations. To begin with it took an uncomfortable amount of time for the waitress to actually come to our table and acknowledge our presence. Drinks were frustratingly slow to come and when briefed on the lunch menu I was told that the lunch burgers were four ounces...My bad I guess for not knowing how big a regular dinner burger was I was somewhat disappointed to get a burger much smaller than I expected. The food was unusually slow to come and despite asking for the bottomless fries to munch on while we waited they never showed up. Was the place packed an the waitresses being worked off their feet? Nope, this was at 2 pm on a Sunday afternoon. There might have been three other tables occupied. Not sure if things broke down in the kitchen or on the floor, but it is not what we had come to expect from the works. As far as the food was concerned my burger was black as a hockey puck and my wife felt like she had just eaten a big mac at MacDonald's after her crispy chicken burger... you know that nasty feeling when you ask yourself "why did I just eat that". All around we left underwhelmed and somewhat disappointed. We will not certain not visit this location again. Hopefully this was an anomaly as we have always enjoyed our visits to the other Works locations (thus the average rather than poor rating, if there was a below average rating I would have awarded that for this visit).

WORKSKanata, Owner at The Works Gourmet Burger Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2016

Hi Aaron,
We are so sorry to hear about your recent experience with us at The Works in Kanata. I can assure you, we have very high standards when it comes to our quality of food, and service. I will be relaying this message back to the team in order to use it as a learning tool for the future. I am hoping we can make this up to you, please email us at kanata@worksburger.com to chat further. Thank-you very much for your feedback. It goes a long way, and helps us grow as a team!

Kind Regards,