“A very nice surprise”

Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“A very nice surprise”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I've gone by The Business Inn may times. My son had just finished his second year at law school (the proud father said). He was subletting his apartment located across the street. His mother and I were there to clean and - well that was about it. We had very little time to spend in the room. It was a pleasure to find the room (the signature suit) so large. I was assuming that they would have been back to the basics, small, drab and with a ambient that said 'sucker'. Beautifully furnished with Group of Seven prints on the walls, heck the whole group of seven could have shared the room. Too bad Group of Seven isn't around today to paint scenes of people looking down at their smartphones.

There was a full kitchen, but then again we didn't have time to use it. I'm not much of a cook. I don't use Hamburger Helper, I use Hamburger Helper, Helper, Helper. I guess the gym would have been good too, but I'm thinking of maybe giving up on my Olympic dream.

The free continental breakfast was one thing I did't miss out on. Other hotels think the continent of Antarctic was the inspiration for that type of service. They had everything from soup to nuts, but no soup or nuts. I had the waffles, but there were plenty of choices. If you would have cereal over waffles raise your hand. Now use that hand and slap your face.

They aren't catering to families, so there's things missing like swimming pools. Sure, maybe I shouldn't be practicing my swimming strokes in the lobby, but then sitting there wearing my new goggles would look pretty silly.

Value for the money and yes I would recommend the hotel to other.

Room Tip: Ask for room 307 that's were they service the continental breakfast - breakfast in bed and new f...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 25 April 2012

A lot of reviews comment on the fact that this hotel is "dated".. ....Yes it is but it is by far the cleanest place that I stay when I am on the road. There are no surprises, you can guarantee that your room will be spotless. the cleaning staff deserve 10 thumbs up for the wonderful job that they do. I do not know how a hotel can find such hard workers that can maintain the high standards of this hotel.
Yes it is dated but it is so comfortable and so clean I could never stay anywhere else.
The beds are one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in, ( I almost hate to get up)
For me it is a home away from home, having a full kitchen is a bonus so that you can prepare meals yourself.
Highly recommend this wonderful place with its great staff, especially Julie at the front desk.

Room Tip: Parking is limited so arrive early to get a spot
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I had previously reviewed this hotel and gave it an average rating and did slam it a bit in my review. My rating has improved because on reflection I realize the management was not totally responsible for the problem. My complaint included a significant scent of smoke in the unit and a lumpy mattress. The hotel management has communicated with me and explained the reasons for both of these problems. The smoke related to the previous tenant of the unit and the lumpy mattress was caused by a well meaning but misguided employee. The management has resolved the lumpy mattress problem by more education for the employees. A solution I totally agree with. I found the hotel had friendly attentive service staff and see that the management has a similar attitude. Good on you.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My wife and I were lodged in a Studio Suite. The room was extremely comfortable, including a full kitchen (microwave oven, conventional oven and kitchen, big refrigerator with freezer, coffee maker, toster, cutlery, dishes, etc, etc), an impresive 46” LCD, sofa, table and the best, a PC with free internet Access and a printer in our room!

The hotel offers a full complimentary breakfast, served in a small room. There are no many tables there but we never had problems with that (at different times). The surprise is that it has a refrigerator with juices, cheeses, yogurts, eggs, etc. Outside we had different types of breads, donuts, waffles, muffins, etc. Nice, complete and practical.

The location is good. If you want to walk, the best one is to the east. At two blocks you can find the Rideau Canal (one of the landmarks of Ottawa). The walk to Parliament Hill via the Canal is refreshing, everytime.

They offer parking (outside or covered) at a daily rate.

Rates of this hotel are absolutely convenient.

TIP: If you have a car and your stay is during a weekend, parking in the Street is free from Friday evening to Monday morning. The only thing is to be lucky and find the place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
montreal
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I really enjoyed my stay, great / amazing service and extreamly confortable.
Good prices, beautifull suites

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Wish I'd known about this place sooner. Rooms are very large, great tv, computer and printer, large kitchen space. Only complaint would be its a little loud so bring ear plugs or turn on a fan for white noise.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Meredith36
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The suites are huge, (apartments) but the perking is a hassle as the garage is small and hard to navigate if you have a full size car, the elevators take forever and the breakfast room is so small and crowded your uncomfortable eating there. Plus side is there is a computer and printer i your room plus wifi

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business