“Classy Accommodations for Business Travel”
Review of Brookstreet Hotel

Brookstreet Hotel
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I enjoyed my one night stay at the Brookstreet Hotel while in Ottawa for business. The bed was very comfortable, the staff very kind, and breakfast was great. I would certainly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We visited for Valentine's Day weekend and stayed in a standard king bed suite. What a lovely hotel! I really enjoyed the modern room and nice decor. The bathroom was awesome and I love the little window into the rest of the room. All staff were great in the hotel. The underground parking is heated which was a nice touch. We didn't get a chance to try out the pool or spa, but we will definitley be back. We ate a 5 course meal at the hotel restaurant Perspectives, and it was divine. A great hotel all around and will definitely be back. I'm sure this place is just beautiful in the summer.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Visit Ottawa / Kanata every three months and have used all Kanata area hotels. Contrary to what I read from another reviewer, this hotel is not overpriced for Kanata. Kanata is not an inexpensive lodging area and quality rooms in the area are at a minimum so trying to compare/complain about Kanata pricing relative to other cities/areas is a pointless exercise. I will say that I have paid more than twice as much for lesser quality in other North American cities. This hotel compares favorably to many 4 star hotels I have stayed in and in fact was cheaper than the Holiday Inn and Suites (even when taking into account the parking charge), which is my other hotel of choice in the area. The Brookstreet rooms are well sized, the room finishes are on the upper end of the quality scale and the supplies are to be as expected in any hotel short of the 5 star chains. The internet is accessible both via wireless and ethernet. The work desk is ample and just as important, there are actually several available electriclal outlets at the desk for work/charging. The front counter staff was friendly and the room service was excellent. My room was spotless and towels well-stocked. All the usual amenities apply including bathroom sundries, coffee maker, ironing board, hair blower, etc.. The only thing keeping this hotel from being the best choice in Kanata is its' location. While the Holiday Inn/Suites is across the street from Centrum (a mall area with stores and restaurants) and at the exit ramp of highway 417 it is almost three miles to Centrum from Brookstreet and two miles to the main highway. Families would probably prefer the suites at the HI for their additional beds and separate lounging area but businessmen and couples may appreciate Brookstreet for the lack of children and the potential noise factor I have sometimes encountered at HI. Kanata in general requires a car to get around so the hotel preference depends on need but Brookstreet is my preference if I don't feel the need to access restaurants, movies or stores on foot. I did not use the hotel for meals this trip so cannot comment on their offerings or pricing but in the past my experiences have been favorable, agreeing the meals are not cheap. In my humble opinion Brookstreet is one of two Kanata hotels at the top of the Kanata hotel list. And in winter, the parking fee to park indoors seems much more reasonable than sitting outside warming up your vehicle!

Room Tip: When traveling in summer, ask for a golf course view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2012

In the middle of Ottawa's tech business campus is an unexpected surprise, namely the Brookstreet. Rooms are good size, clean and done with higher end finishes. Service is great, starts with the door service and room service/restaurant staff. Will be traveling to Ottawa in my new job and you'll find be at the Brookstreet when I do.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I am a seasoned business and tourist traveller. I can safely say I have rarely seen a hotel so keenly determined at exacting every last possible surcharge. The only thing they forgot was free internet, possibly to maintain a semblance of business-friendliness.

Aside from that you could expect all the usual tricks, $7 bottled water, the auto-billed newspaper scam, forced parking charges ($12). There was a rediculous $3 room service "delivery charge" applied onto rheir already overpriced menu.

Gratuity on room service was auto-charged but naturally the bill is done up in the usual manner with an ambiguous "service" charge applied, tempting you to pay gratuity a second time. Why not just clearly mark it "gratuity" if the goal is really to allow patrons to add extra gratuity if desired?

Extremely standard soap and shampoo, a very disappointing sized bath/shower and hospital fixtures in the bathroom (yeah those commercial looking crane faucetts) complete the picture.

All the above would be almost fine for a Holiday Inn or the like, in the $100 per night range, but at $219.00+ per night, the value ratio is just really disappointing.

Avoid this place, get the same level stay for half the price elsewhere. Not worth it.

5  Thank Oliver0078
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Our stay was for one night in February and was very pleasant. The room was amazing. Extremely clean and bright with an unbelievable view. We were given a free upgrade and the staff were soo accommadating. Cheers to all the staff that helped out my family on our stay. Looking forward to another great stay in March.

• Stayed: February 2012
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

What wonderful feedback, thank you so much! We're delighted that your stay was so enjoyable, that is what we strive for! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

This hotel is posh and updated, fancy-shmancy etc. But please listen to all the complaints that things are way over-priced at this hotel. It is unbelievable what they charge for even a glass of wine at the bar! (two couples ordered a glass of wine each, 4 glasses cost $58 plus tip!!!) I have eaten at the Perspectives restaurant a few times, and I have had a drink/bite to eat and listened to jazz music in the bar called "Options". Very nice decor, but the excessive cost is not worth the experience. The service is average at best, and has been very poor at Perspectives on occasion. The bathrooms in the lobby area were filthy and dirty this past week when we went to the bar Options. For such a 'classy-looking' hotel, one would expect that toilet seats would be clean...they were not, nor were the sinks.

We have never stayed at the hotel overnight as we live close by -- we have only gone to the hotel for dinner/lunch/brunch and to meet friends. So despite the fact that I cannot speak to the rooms at this hotel, it is not a place that I would recommend to anyone based on my 4-5 visits to the premises...for the prices you pay, there are much better options in the Ottawa area.

1  Thank DMD_Ottawa

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent experience at Brookstreet. We regret that your visit did not meet up to our standards for service and cleanliness and will evaluate these comments with the management of each of these departments. We do have an extensive wine list selected by our Sommelier and offer wines from just $9 per glass. From Monday through Friday at our Options Jazz Lounge we offer themed food and beverage specials as well from under $10.